Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
October 20, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#21   IP: 98.228.248.75
Old 11-15-2011, 10:52 PM

The "London Rippers"??? Very classy to name your team after a notorious serial killer...

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/baseba.../18974496.html

"That (Jack The Ripper) is not our story," said Martin, when told about the reaction.

"Ripping a ball is used in baseball all the time."

Yeah, right, Dave. I can tell by the logo that it has NOTHING to do with Jack the Ripper.

And I thought "Boomers" was a bad name!
  #22   IP: 76.205.5.223
Old 11-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Smile London Rippers

Sounds like a lot of people are pretty ticked off about this new name. I guess the whole "killer" thing just rubs some the wrong way.

However, for me, the name struck a chord with my 8-year-old inner self. My first thoughts were the Frontier League is adding two new fart-based teams (The Boomers and The Rippers) in 2012. What's next? Will they allow Chillicothe, OH to return as the Chillicothe Cheese Cutters while expanding into Indiana with the Terre Haute Tooters?

Maybe this will spark a new trend and some of the existing teams will change their names. Could we see the Gateway Gas Passers, the Windy City Ill Wind, or the Florence Flatulence (this is just too easy).

I say just have fun with it. Sometimes things shouldn't be taken so literally. Enjoy the fact that baseball has returned.

"PLAY BALL" or should I have said "Let 'er RIP".
  #23   IP: 98.228.248.75
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBearFan View Post
I guess the whole "killer" thing just rubs some the wrong way..
Ya think? And you think we should just lighten up and "have fun with it"?
Sorry, but serial killing is not something I wish to "have fun with". I expect to see it changed in the near future. I imagine more than a few on the city council are already questioning the wisdom of signing up with this lot.
  #24   IP: 99.250.17.53
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM

lol oh come on! Let's not pretend that we are offended by the London Rippers name and logo. Seriously get over it and move on to the next "cause of the day". Who else is pumped for opening day?! I've been waiting years for professional baseball to return to London and already have my tickets for the opening home series!
  #25   IP: 98.228.248.75
Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1985 View Post
lol oh come on! Let's not pretend that we are offended by the London Rippers name and logo. Seriously get over it and move on to the next "cause of the day". Who else is pumped for opening day?! I've been waiting years for professional baseball to return to London and already have my tickets for the opening home series!
Wow, Josh, you sure cover a lot of bases in a short time. If you ever lose your job shilling for Martin, maybe you can find work as an AM radio talk show host.

When this story first came out, I posted some very reasonably worded criticism on the teams facebook page. It received a few insulting replies and then was deleted and I was blocked from posting on the page. So it seems the Rippers management are the ones who are too easily "offended" and need to "get over it".
  #26   IP: 76.210.36.67
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM

London's latest rival has just been announced:
The Hamilton Zodiacs
  #27   IP: 99.250.17.53
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM

I just simply do not care what the name of the team is. It's baseball. It's not a serious issue. Besides, how many people that are against the name were actually going to go to a game anyway?

If I took the name of a sports team literally I would have to stop being a fan of the Buffalo Sabres since I practice non violence.

It's baseball....lighten up and enjoy it.

Frontier League fan - London Rippers
  #28   IP: 98.228.248.75
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1985 View Post
I just simply do not care what the name of the team is. It's baseball. It's not a serious issue. Besides, how many people that are against the name were actually going to go to a game anyway?

If I took the name of a sports team literally I would have to stop being a fan of the Buffalo Sabres since I practice non violence.

It's baseball....lighten up and enjoy it.
Hey Josh, you're the one who decided to resurrect a three month old thread- not me, so why is it so important to you that I "lighten up"?

And in case you haven't noticed, it's not just a game, it's also a business-one that takes the name of a city and is a representative of that city.

Your Buffalo Sabres reference is just silly. Here we are talking about a historical character who perpetrated horrible crimes against women. Here's an example of what your teams mascot did in London, England (from Wikipedia)...

Chapman's body was discovered at about 6 a.m. on Saturday 8 September 1888 near a doorway in the back yard of 29 Hanbury Street, Spitalfields. As in the case of Mary Ann Nichols, the throat was severed by two cuts.[21] The abdomen was slashed entirely open, and it was later discovered that the uterus had been removed.[22] At the inquest, one witness described seeing Chapman at about 5:30 a.m. with a dark-haired man of "shabby-genteel" appearance.[23]

Words (and images) matter, Josh. They matter a lot.
  #29   IP: 75.38.143.218
Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 PM

Default the ldn ...

jack the rippers n this kzo fl lawsuit why isnt their a competing loop for the aforementioned league ?
  #30   IP: 99.250.17.53
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM

I was well familier with Jack the Ripper well before this nonsene arose. And Fungo did all that?! (Rippers mascot)

Notice that I actually live in London and I have no issue with the name. Not many baseball fans here care about the name one way or another. It seems to be non baseball fans and people who live nowhere near London that have taken issue with the Rippers.

How many games were you planning on making the trip to London for before you found out the name of the Rippers?

Frontier League fan - London Rippers