Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
October 22, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 64.246.64.97
Old 02-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Fran Send a message via Yahoo to Fran
Default UFL Hartford name the team contest

I like Knights as the best one.

Connecticut Yankees makes me think of NY Yankees. Which nickname do people here like the most.

HARTFORD, CT – Tuesday, February 23 – The United Football League, in association with Tribune companies FOX 61 News, the Hartford Courant and CTNow.com, is inviting football fans in the state of Connecticut to suggest their favorite name for the new professional football team that will play in Hartford when the 2010 UFL season kicks off.

Suggestions for team names began pouring into the mailboxes and websites of the Hartford Courant and UFL-Football.com following the announcement on February 16 that the Hartford UFL team will play five home games at Rentschler Field in East Hartford this fall.

“We want to empower the fans of this new Hartford United Football League team to give us their thoughts on the name that they feel has a strong local connection and that they will be proud to chant from the stands at Rentschler Field,” said UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue.

FOX 61 kicked off the naming process on Tuesday, February 23 when ‘Your Town, Your Team, Your Name – You Make The Call’ promotional spots ran, inviting football fans to visit CTNow.com to start voting for their preferred choice of team names from a shortlist of four options or to suggest a different team name:

· Hartford Knights

· Hartford Guardians

· Hartford Travelers

· Connecticut Yankees

Fans of the new team can cast their vote by visiting the www.CTNow.com website between now and Thursday, March 4.

The Hartford United Football League team name will be announced on Fox 61 Comcast Sports Desk on Sunday, March 7 at 10.45pm.
  #2   IP: 74.199.127.100
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
I like Knights as the best one.

Connecticut Yankees makes me think of NY Yankees. Which nickname do people here like the most.
· Hartford Knights -- Discarded by AFL & WLAF (New York connection -- Nooooooooooo.)

· Hartford Guardians -- Sounds like a circulating newspaper title, but the best of these four.

· Hartford Travelers -- Let's hope not.

· Connecticut Yankees -- Agree with Fran on this one. (New York connection -- Nooooooooooo.)

Hartford Colonial's -- New Englandish without being New Yorkish.

Proud to be "Mean Spirited, Angry, Bitter Blogging, Blogger #804.1" -- (For Joe Newman I.D. Purposes)

Missing the Continental Basketball Association a little bit more, everyday...

NAHL Jamestown!!! -- At least it lasted for a while....
http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4198865

Last edited by tops804; 02-23-2010 at 10:12 AM.
  #3   IP: 71.188.138.212
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM

How bout going a different direction:

Hartford Havoc
Hartford Ruckus
Connecticut Minutemen
  #4   IP: 64.12.116.11
Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to SignGuyDino

Grifters???

A fan-based movement urging Michael Jordan and the Charlotte Hornets to put their D-League team in Asheville.
  #5   IP: 72.92.161.33
Old 03-02-2010, 02:20 PM

I'd like to know who came up with these names, not very original. The most original name from Hartford was the Hartford Hellions, and I'd like to put that forward.