Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
July 24, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 68.218.105.13
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Former L.A. Lakers Jim Price named Louisville Locomotive head coach

Atlanta, Ga. (February 13, 2010) – The United States Basketball Association (USBA) and the Louisville Locomotive’s hiring of University of Louisville great, Jim Price should tell you something about how far the league will go to seek the best individuals to take the role as head coach.

The word circulated that Price was hired to lead the team has caused a stir in the Louisville, Kentucky basketball community. Price is to be the teams first head coach in the leagues inaugural basketball season. “To fill this vacancy was my chance to come home to Louisville and continue my influence on the kids in the area, while we dance on the backs of the other teams in the league,” said Price. “This new league and its early spring to mid summer schedule gives me a prime opportunity to help young basketball players advance to the next level.”

"We are extremely pleased to have Jim as our new head basketball coach of the Locomotive," USBA Vice President of Basketball Operations, Kenneth Green said. "He is a Kentucky native, who was a super star at the University of Louisville. Jim is known to work tirelessly, throughout his career he has always strived to be the best he could. Our players will benefit tremendously from his vast experience. We’re lucky to have him.”

"He is a proven winner, who has the necessary skill set to take over this new program in Louisville and take it to great heights. His ties to Louisville, along with his energy, enthusiasm and commitment to developing young men, both on and off the court, make Jim a terrific fit for this basketball team,” said Green

"I look forward to this job and we ask all basketball fans in the Louisville community to support our team. My family and my staff are pleased with this tremendous challenge," said Price

"I'm very excited about this opportunity and it really hasn't sunk in yet," said Price, a 62-year-old Russellville Kentucky native."Perhaps it will after I have a chance to select the team next month. Growing up in Kentucky and playing at Louisville, I can tell you that this is a great job for job for me.”

Price’s basketball career began at Arsenal Technical High School in Indianapolis, Indiana where in his senior year he was a member of the Indiana State Championship Runner-up basketball team. Price was selected to the Indiana High School All Star team. Price was highly recruited by the University of Louisville Cardinals in 1968. Price was a member of the University of Louisville 1972 NCAA Final Four basketball team. He was named as a first team All American, along with Bob McAdoo and Henry Bibby. Price’s uniform was retired and now hangs in Freedom Hall.

Jim Price was selected 1st in the second round of the 1972 NBA draft. Price played in the NBA from 1972 to 1979. This draft included players such as Julius “Dr J” Irving, Bob McAdoo and Paul Westphal. Price played on the Los Angeles Lakers 1972-1973 NBA Finals basketball team. Price was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks and was selected to the 1975 NBA All Star team. Price was also named to the NBA All Defensive team while at Milwaukee.

Price’s coaching career includes the Head Women’s Coach at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). Price spent four years at the Butler University. Price’s professional career involves teams in the CBA and the USBL.

Price received his BS in Physical Education and Recreation from the University of Louisville in 1972. He has an extensive background in counseling in the Tampa Bay, Florida area, where he has been a Counselor in the Marion County Juvenile and Options Treatment centers.

Mr. Price resides in Tampa Florida with his wife and their three children.

Last edited by usbaball 1; 02-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.
  #2   IP: 67.85.31.47
Old 02-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Default Don't overhype...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbaball 1 View Post
Atlanta, Ga. (February 13, 2010) – The United States Basketball Association (USBA) and the Louisville Locomotive’s hiring of University of Louisville great, Jim Price should tell you something about how far the league will go to seek the best individuals to take the role as head coach.

The word circulated that Price was hired to lead the team has caused a stir in the Louisville, Kentucky basketball community. Price is to be the teams first head coach in the leagues inaugural basketball season. “To fill this vacancy was my chance to come home to Louisville and continue my influence on the kids in the area, while we dance on the backs of the other teams in the league,” said Price. “This new league and its early spring to mid summer schedule gives me a prime opportunity to help young basketball players advance to the next level.”

"We are extremely pleased to have Jim as our new head basketball coach of the Locomotive," USBA Vice President of Basketball Operations, Kenneth Green said. "He is a Kentucky native, who was a super star at the University of Louisville. Jim is known to work tirelessly, throughout his career he has always strived to be the best he could. Our players will benefit tremendously from his vast experience. We’re lucky to have him.”

"He is a proven winner, who has the necessary skill set to take over this new program in Louisville and take it to great heights. His ties to Louisville, along with his energy, enthusiasm and commitment to developing young men, both on and off the court, make Jim a terrific fit for this basketball team,” said Green

"I look forward to this job and we ask all basketball fans in the Louisville community to support our team. My family and my staff are pleased with this tremendous challenge," said Price

"I'm very excited about this opportunity and it really hasn't sunk in yet," said Price, a 62-year-old Russellville Kentucky native."Perhaps it will after I have a chance to select the team next month. Growing up in Kentucky and playing at Louisville, I can tell you that this is a great job for job for me.”

Price’s basketball career began at Arsenal Technical High School in Indianapolis, Indiana where in his senior year he was a member of the Indiana State Championship Runner-up basketball team. Price was selected to the Indiana High School All Star team. Price was highly recruited by the University of Louisville Cardinals in 1968. Price was a member of the University of Louisville 1972 NCAA Final Four basketball team. He was named as a first team All American, along with Bob McAdoo and Henry Bibby. Price’s uniform was retired and now hangs in Freedom Hall.

Jim Price was selected 1st in the second round of the 1972 NBA draft. Price played in the NBA from 1972 to 1979. This draft included players such as Julius “Dr J” Irving, Bob McAdoo and Paul Westphal. Price played on the Los Angeles Lakers 1972-1973 NBA Finals basketball team. Price was traded to the Milwaukee Bucks and was selected to the 1975 NBA All Star team. Price was also named to the NBA All Defensive team while at Milwaukee.

Price’s coaching career includes the Head Women’s Coach at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). Price spent four years at the Butler University. Price’s professional career involves teams in the CBA and the USBL.

Price received his BS in Physical Education and Recreation from the University of Louisville in 1972. He has an extensive background in counseling in the Tampa Bay, Florida area, where he has been a Counselor in the Marion County Juvenile and Options Treatment centers.

Mr. Price resides in Tampa Florida with his wife and their three children.
So, a Google News search of "Jim Price" and Louisville:
http://news.google.com/news/search?a...2louisville%22

reveals:
Quote:
Your search - "Jim Price" "Louisville" - did not match any documents.
while a Google web search of "Jim Price" "Louisville" "USBA" pulls up just this release on USBasket

It may work out for him down the road - and the USBA as well; but don't brag about what can easily be refuted...
Proud to be "Mean-spirited blogger #10K"
Quote:
And we believe it is better to have critics and people who care than not to have interest at all. Joe Newman 6/30/05
I never said the ABA had the greatest numbers regarding retention of teams. OldSchoolBaller (neither did we )
The ABA has tarnished minor league professional basketball throughout this country Ed Krinsky 2/15/06
We are now making some adjustments to our schedule - Joe Newman 10/9/08 in perpetuity
  #3   IP: 97.95.56.219
Old 02-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Didn't you name coaches once before? How did that work out?