OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSport Central independent and minor league sports

#1   IP: 200.79.139.155
Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 PM

Default Golden League in Tijuana

Due to the utter stupidity of the three or four morons who control professional baseball in Mexico, it appears that the Mexican League Tijuana Potros are about to disappear. If the commissioner is reading this, I would be interested in his views on a possible second attempt by the GBL to place a franchise in Tijuana.
  #2   IP: 76.233.11.121
Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNationals View Post
Due to the utter stupidity of the three or four morons who control professional baseball in Mexico, it appears that the Mexican League Tijuana Potros are about to disappear. If the commissioner is reading this, I would be interested in his views on a possible second attempt by the GBL to place a franchise in Tijuana.
Getting fans to cross the border would be nearly impossible. Getting players back and forth safely would be a big issue too.

Tons of folks who used to play in adult leagues and youth travel leagues down in TJ, don't anymore because it's simply just tooooo dangerous to be in Mexico right now.

I'd be dubious of any offers if I were the GBL.

I am sorry, though, that you're losing your team. I feel your pain friend.
  #3   IP: 76.166.173.221
Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Default SD over TJ

I think before the GBL put a team in TJ, they'd focus more on trying to return to San Diego with the Surf Dawgs... which is still probably a ways away. I'd look for a 4th Canada team or something else up north to make a 4-team division up there. just makes sense logistically.
  #4   IP: 200.79.139.155
Old 12-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgsBooster2 View Post
Getting fans to cross the border would be nearly impossible. Getting players back and forth safely would be a big issue too.
Getting the fans across the border would not be a problem, Tijuana has a large fan base of its own, and, properly marketed, a team could draw in the 5,000 plus per game range. The Mexican League Potros did... The stadium seats over 15,000.
  #5   IP: 76.233.11.121
Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNationals View Post
Getting the fans across the border would not be a problem, Tijuana has a large fan base of its own, and, properly marketed, a team could draw in the 5,000 plus per game range. The Mexican League Potros did... The stadium seats over 15,000.

Fans...ok, I'll give you that. Maybe a team could make it without pulling fans from North of the border...but still... getting the players and staff back and forth is HUGELY dangerous right now. It has been for about three years now and the situation isn't getting better anytime soon.
  #6   IP: 200.79.139.155
Old 12-07-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgsBooster2 View Post
Fans...ok, I'll give you that. Maybe a team could make it without pulling fans from North of the border...but still... getting the players and staff back and forth is HUGELY dangerous right now. It has been for about three years now and the situation isn't getting better anytime soon.
A Tijuana team would function fine without any fans from San Diego; I would bet money that using exclusively the already extant Tijuana fan base, it would
pull the highest attendance in the GBL, easily.

As to the violence....All I can suggest is turn off the television. Literally 95% of those dying in Tijuana are narcos and corrupt cops. No normal human beings are involved. There have been zero incidents at the stadium, and zero incidents involving the players. You may not know this, but Tijuana also has a minor league basketball team, called the Galgos. Many of the players (but none of the fans) are American. There have been zero problems there, either.
  #7   IP: 72.199.125.231
Old 12-07-2008, 11:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to jd_aka_monty Send a message via Yahoo to jd_aka_monty
Default Tj...

I play ball with quite a few guys who travel down to TJ to play. It's good baseball, and some even get paid decently for showing up and helping win ball games. Nick Guerra was traveling down there at one point to play as well.

Not everything the way we see it on TV...

Monty
  #8   IP: 128.125.74.90
Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Beisbol en TJ...

I, for one, would love to see the GBL renew their plans to put a team in TJ. When I joined the GBL back in Jan 2005, I was pretty excited about a team down there, and one thing I know about Dave and Kevin - if it is doable, they will do it!

If it doesn't get done, it certainly will not be due to lack of research and discussions...
  #9   IP: 76.178.73.223
Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 AM

Default Mexicali, MX

I heard they were in talks with the Mexicali Aguilas for the summer and that would be great, three teams in Canada and one team in Mexico, they are even trying to get a tune up game with the aguilas in Yuma prior to the Serie De Caribe, keep your fingers crossed as I am.
  #10   IP: 192.234.216.191
Old 12-10-2008, 03:42 PM

DC....
You obviously don't live in San Diego or even Southern California, there is more killings and violence aimed at everyone who visits TJ, as you put it "no normal human beings are involved", is completely false.