OSC

OSC message Boards

As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

OurSport Central independent and minor league sports

#11   IP: 66.231.15.254
Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm2010 View Post

Agreed that the CPIFL has true promise but to suddenly say that they are going to be the end of the IFL is a bit pre-mature.
Lets you and I be real for a minute. We both know that the departure of a conference finalist to the CPIFL has less to do with competition and more to do with money, specifically compensation. We've made our bed, now we'll have to lie in it. I will be surprised (happy as hell,but surprised) if the Storm make it into the new arena.

Omaha folding only increases the travel budget. Our TWO closest road games two years ago were a combined 8 hours round trip. This coming season our closest single trip is 9 hours round trip. And, should the Danger move away next year that leaves Cedar Rapids (12-13) (unless they move too) and a rumored expansion team in the Quad cities (15) (again assuming they don't bolt for a cheaper league where they can compete)

Coming on the boards and getting with a "we're better than you" attitude isn't going to do anyone any good. Sure the IFL HAS been on a decent 4 year run.. but none of the major indoor leagues (excluding the APFL) has made it past 5 and any legitimate shape..

All of this hinges in the CPIFL having a successful season. The fans don't care what "level" of talent is on the field, they just want quality football and a good show. The Storm have packed em in when it was guys from USD, SDSU, Augie and USF..

Last edited by Bouncer_Texxx; 09-28-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo's
  #12   IP: 174.252.101.183
Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Trish_lvs_Baltimore

Well, I guess this probably means that the Nebraska Danger aren't too far behind with their decision also....
  #13   IP: 24.9.68.94
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor League Man View Post
Okaaay...let's go through it team by team:

Kansas City Renegades - Assumed the assets of the AFL Command, signed several of their players
Lincoln Haymakers - Formerly Council Bluffs Express (and before that, the Iowa Blackhawks)
Mid-Missouri Outlaws - Perennial APFL contender
Oklahoma Defenders - APFL team last year, solid season, filled the gap the AFL's Talons left
Sioux City Bandits - No introduction needed.
Wichita Wild - No introduction needed.

Verdict: haters gonna hate, the CPIFL has true promise.
Team by team:

KC- Have heard that their signings are just a publicity stunt to sell tickets and then once it comes down to it, the players will be released and will be playing in the AFL or IFL.
Lincoln- Nothing special, some of their best players are IFL rejects; not impressed.
Mid-Missouri-Who cares, couldnt beat the Missouri Monsters in the UIFL.
Oklahoma-Again, another team with a bunch of players that cant play at a higher level.
Sioux City- IFL dropout as one other person noted. If you cant win, drop down a level.
Wichita- Was a solid IFL team but then again nothing special. Tried to cut costs over the last few IFL seasons and it cost them attendance, players, etc. What will they do in this semi-pro league?

You could make an All-Star team of CPIFL players and they wouldn't be able to beat any of the returning IFL teams. CPIFL is a lower league that will only be able to succeed because of the fact that the teams fans have the pipe dream that they can actually play for their hometown CPIFL team, and in most cases probably could.
  #14   IP: 99.129.105.94
Old 09-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
Team by team:

KC- Have heard that their signings are just a publicity stunt to sell tickets and then once it comes down to it, the players will be released and will be playing in the AFL or IFL.
Lincoln- Nothing special, some of their best players are IFL rejects; not impressed.
Mid-Missouri-Who cares, couldnt beat the Missouri Monsters in the UIFL.
Oklahoma-Again, another team with a bunch of players that cant play at a higher level.
Sioux City- IFL dropout as one other person noted. If you cant win, drop down a level.
Wichita- Was a solid IFL team but then again nothing special. Tried to cut costs over the last few IFL seasons and it cost them attendance, players, etc. What will they do in this semi-pro league?

You could make an All-Star team of CPIFL players and they wouldn't be able to beat any of the returning IFL teams. CPIFL is a lower league that will only be able to succeed because of the fact that the teams fans have the pipe dream that they can actually play for their hometown CPIFL team, and in most cases probably could.
Man, you're just sucking down the Hateraid, huh?
  #15   IP: 70.198.1.198
Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM

From the beginning, I always wondered the love affair with this new league. It's a slap in the face to players, if the pay is as low as we have heard, the players deserve better. If indeed the IFL is on it's death bed....this great CPIFL, like all the indoor leagues before them, may have a few seasons, and break apart when owners decide they can cut even more corners.
  #16   IP: 99.111.219.81
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

No, it is not a slap in the face to players. We have to remember that many, many men play the game for free and entirely at their own risk in semi-pro leagues. If other indoor leagues can afford to pay $200 per game or so, that's great. Overall, higher paying leagues will get slightly better talent, so players who want to, and have the ability to move up have a place to do so. Financially, that salary level won't work everywhere. Players have the choice whether to play for the salary offered to them or not. Really, $150/game difference over the course of the season simply is not that much money for any one player, but it can make a difference to a team's bottom line for an entire roster.
  #17   IP: 24.9.68.94
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando678 View Post
Man, you're just sucking down the Hateraid, huh?
No just the truth. Tired of hearing about all these great CPIFL teams. The best team the CPIFL has is Sioux City, who could no longer compete in the IFL so they dropped down and made their own league. It would be like the D2 National Champion saying that they could have gone to a BCS bowl game. The best CPIFL team wins a maximum of two games in the IFL. Once you accept that fact, I will leave the CPIFL alone.

Any bets on how many of those "top signings" actually show up in KC? Unless KC pulls a "Sioux Falls Employment Situation" I don't see any of those players playing a down for them.
  #18   IP: 24.140.97.142
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to exit322 Send a message via MSN to exit322 Send a message via Yahoo to exit322

Sioux City has proven exactly what the IFL was deathly afraid of it proving: fans don't really know, or care, the level of football competition a league provides, so long as their team acts as a professional organization. If Wichita and the other CPIFL teams with Sioux City act/continue to act professionally for their home fans, no one is going to give a crap if the players aren't quite good enough to play in a "better" league.

The only caveat there (and the reason SC left the APFL) is that too many years with their team just mugging everyone else creates the issue that the games just aren't fun. Most of the ugly ugly blowouts with SC aren't coming over (Mid-Mo the exception that I can see).

What does this mean, to me? It seems like a really stupid idea to overpay for players when the good organizations get fans to come out with or without them.
  #19   IP: 66.231.15.254
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Exit finally put into words what lot of us expect. The CPIFL has a tough row to hoe, to be sure, but if they can make it through the season, and most of the teams do well at the gates, it could indeed spell the end for the IFL. This has nothing to do with the level of talent on the field, which most of us will agree is superior in the IFL.

Quote:
You could make an All-Star team of CPIFL players and they wouldn't be able to beat any of the returning IFL teams
I'd bet they'd give Chicago, Bloomington, and Wyoming a run... the talent level gap isn't as wide as you'd think.
  #20   IP: 66.231.15.254
Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Also, when teams are groups together by geography travel costs are kept under control. I see the IFL adding Cheyenne a team that couldn't complete an APFL season as desperate... that can only end badly...

This is minor league sports, and the lower rungs of it at that... The bottom line is ALWAYS the bottom line...

I'm not sure how workers compensation insurance is affected, if at all, by the length of the road trips... but it is certainly something to consider.