Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
July 22, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 129.135.0.21
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Expansion for 2014 - Predictions?

We are now two-thirds of the way through the 2013 regular season, what are your thoughts about PIFL expansion for the 2014 season? What is your best guess?
  #2   IP: 129.135.0.21
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM

I for one think a mixture of things is likely to happen, three franchises added, one of those being a defection from another league, two brand new franchises. I also think it is possible to see an existing franchise fold and another one either fold or re-locate.

Last edited by VinnyTheViper; 05-22-2013 at 12:26 PM.
  #3   IP: 171.159.194.11
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to coachingubigr

I know for a fact that a group of investors is trying to bring back the AIFA Baltimore Mariners. Same name, same uniforms, no embezzled funds. I also know for a fact they want to join the PIFL. Whether that BOD allows that is anyone's guess. Geographically Baltimore makes total sense, but the ties to John Morris and Dwayne Wells run deep. Right now the AIF website has Baltimore listed as a 2014 team but I don't believe anything the AIF says.
  #4   IP: 171.159.194.11
Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyTheViper View Post
I also think it is possible to see an existing franchise either fold or re-locate.
Buh Bye Knoxville Nighthawks. 1,600 tickets a game won't keep a team in your city.
  #5   IP: 72.237.206.160
Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM

I would love Baltimore to come aboard! I would also like to see Erie make the jump. After that i'd like to see either Reading come back and join the PIFl or have Harrisburg make the jump over. I need road trips to attend for my Steelhawks Anything in the notheast is fine with me!!!
  #6   IP: 69.210.33.139
Old 05-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachingubigr View Post
Buh Bye Knoxville Nighthawks. 1,600 tickets a game won't keep a team in your city.
Funny thing is, the Nighthawks themselves posted that status on Saturday saying that expansion would be announced in the next couple weeks:

"Look for PIFL expansion news over the next couple of weeks. The league looks to add some new rivalries!"
  #7   IP: 171.159.194.11
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Erie is always good. Would love to see them in the PIFL. Plus the Raiders are 0-4 vs Erie. Would be nice to actually win one.
  #8   IP: 129.135.0.21
Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Geographically Baltimore makes total sense, but the ties to John Morris and Dwayne Wells run deep.
And that could be the defining issue here, if there is even the smallest whiff of Morris' stench associated with a Baltimore effort, then I can not see where this has a snowball's chance in hades of happening. Morris' stink effectively cost Charlotte of being an inagural PIFL member in 2012. The PIFL best better steer away from anything that either Morris, Haines, or Dittman have had their hands on.
  #9   IP: 129.135.0.21
Old 05-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosbogs View Post
I would love Baltimore to come aboard! I would also like to see Erie make the jump. After that i'd like to see either Reading come back and join the PIFl or have Harrisburg make the jump over. I need road trips to attend for my Steelhawks Anything in the notheast is fine with me!!!
I know that the league thought process is to expand northward, the comment made on facebook about potential expansion announcements in the next few weeks is quite possible, unless a team is under contract to a particular league, then the announcement can not likely be made until that league's season has completed and/or the league contract has expired. This was the case with Lehigh Valley last season, the PIFL had to wait till the Steelhawks contract with the IFL had expired before the move to the PIFL could be announced. When all is said and done, I believe Steelhawks fans will be pleased with some of the announcements.
  #10   IP: 208.100.40.41
Old 05-22-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Erie is always good. Would love to see them in the PIFL. Plus the Raiders are 0-4 vs Erie. Would be nice to actually win one.
Would they want to change leagues and incur more travel and expense?