Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
April 17, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#131   IP: 97.186.68.37
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM

The owners of the San Rafael and Hawaii teams are new to the league, are they not?
I haven't been keeping a very close watch.
I'm sure these new owners have put a lot of time and effort getting their teams up and running.
Must be braced for bad business decisions by others.
If the operating expense is already covered and they don't have to hope for the best, let them move forward and play ball.
http://checkthecount.com
  #132   IP: 70.169.224.72
Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 AM

No the Maui team has been in the GBL along time, this is his 2nd year in Maui and he was part of the group that owned the OC Flyer since 2007.

As far as players go, the problem here is that the league could close down mid season and that is worse for players and coaches since all other leagues are far into their seasons.

The GBL/NAL is dead and have left a dirty trail behind them, from what I hear they did not pay any vendors, employees or umpires from the AWL which they owned and operated. This is probably why the Panthers went dark and for people to say they should keep putting money into a black hole for the sake of others, maybe they should call the panthers and donate funds to the cause.

There was a post that Maui has paid all their bills, try calling the last years manager, VP and others form Maui and I think you will get a different story.

A new league needs to come up for 2013 with a different management team then what was at DSE. I want to see baseball but not at the expense of businesses closing for good.
  #133   IP: 68.233.214.58
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkhead View Post
No the Maui team has been in the GBL along time, this is his 2nd year in Maui and he was part of the group that owned the OC Flyer since 2007.

As far as players go, the problem here is that the league could close down mid season and that is worse for players and coaches since all other leagues are far into their seasons.

The GBL/NAL is dead and have left a dirty trail behind them, from what I hear they did not pay any vendors, employees or umpires from the AWL which they owned and operated. This is probably why the Panthers went dark and for people to say they should keep putting money into a black hole for the sake of others, maybe they should call the panthers and donate funds to the cause.

There was a post that Maui has paid all their bills, try calling the last years manager, VP and others form Maui and I think you will get a different story.

A new league needs to come up for 2013 with a different management team then what was at DSE. I want to see baseball but not at the expense of businesses closing for good.
News flash !

All the crooks from the NAL are gone. I repeat all the crooks from the NAL are gone. Give the new operators a chance and play ball. GZZZZ its like beating a dead horse with you guys.
  #134   IP: 70.169.224.72
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM

The point is you can not have a league with 2 teams with stadiums and 2 as travel teams it is way to eaxpensive and if a season gets cut have way through then all players, coaches and employees get screwed. There maybe 2 different owners trying to put this together, however I assure you that putting together another circus act will have the same results that the NAL past management had. Then what?
  #135   IP: 66.190.235.85
Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM

As much as I tend to chuckle at Lunk's spelling, insults and grammar, I do agree with his point on this one. Putting aside all the GL/NAL who did what and who's there and who isn't, it does seem like a bad idea to have a four-team league playing in two stadiums when the stadiums are a long plane ride apart.

Starting a small, minimal travel requirement league and building is not a bad idea, but it'll be interesting to see how they intend to generate income to pay the players, staff and travel, much less all the other costs, especially when they are due to start the season in a couple weeks.

Eye is right - it appears the Kaval/Outcalt Ponzi Recruitment Team is finally away from this mess. It looks like the only holdovers are the Marshalls in San Raf, and they were basically a non-factor in the old regime, just went where Kaval/Outcalt told them and did what they told them to do. Doesn't seem like the Marshalls were the cause of the old problems, more followers than leaders.

So why not give the new group a chance to float or sink their own boat? It's their money. Or stock. Or whatever they use to pay the bills.
  #136   IP: 75.97.234.28
Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TownCaps View Post
This might clear a few things up.

Click on the Craig Tkachuk interveiw.

http://soundcloud.com/mix1037?utm_so...ud.com/mix1037

If you build it they will come. The ballpark in San Rafael and Maui are a joke, and a slap in the face to pro ball. They need better ballparks for it to work.
Doesn't clear much up except the Calgary situation maybe. And even that was very brief.

It's all stuff that some of us have been saying already. They need a quartet to make it really happen in any league. Nice to have someone on the record though instead of guessing and rumors.

Was expecting every sentence to end in "eh"...dammit
  #137   IP: 75.97.234.28
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 PM

WMBL teams are in some of those parks so there could be some ugliness but there are enough ready ballparks or some that could use some updating but they have the ballparks.

But I think the NAL should NOT be the league they try to join.
  #138   IP: 72.234.220.186
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I agree Eddie the NAL wouldn't be my first choice, but they might have to stick it out in the NAL for a year maybe even two years until Fort McMurray gets there ballpark finished. Then you could make the jump to the American Association, I know for a fact Winnipeg wants Edmonton in the American Association as soon as next year. Only time will tell.

I think Medicine Hat & Saskatoon would be the best options to explore for a fourth team to join Edmonton, Calgary, and Fort McMurray.
Who knows maybe Saskatoon will join the North this year and lead the way for the return of the other Canadian teams. How about this league.

1. Saskatoon (Not sure)
2. Edmonton (Has stadium)
3. Calgary (Has stadium)
4. Fort McMurray Travel Team
5. Maui Hawaii (Has stadium)
6. Hilo Hawaii (Has stadium)
7. San Rafeal (Has stadium)
8. Sonoma Grapes Lol... Travel Team

Sounds like a strong league for 2013 to me and very travel possible especially if new operators get an airline partner involved with the new league.
  #139   IP: 72.234.220.186
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Any chance cities like San Rafael, Dublin, Santa Rosa could build ballparks?

By ballparks I mean, something with a capacity of 3,000 to 4,000. The ballparks don't have to be triple-A quality, only similar to the ballparks being built in the Frontier League.

The cities of Laredo & Sugar Land Texas built ballparks for Independent Baseball this past season for for 18 million & 30 million respectivlely. These two ballparks have a capacity over 6,000 and were built a 1 year. A ballpark that seats 3,000 to 4,000 would cost anywhere from 5 million to 10 million, and could be built in a year with the great weather on the west coast.
I think the chance for San Rafael to get a park is very good. They seem to have a very strong fan base building. I also read an article months ago about Shane Victorino wanting to build a new multi use stadium in his hometown in Maui as well. Santa Rosa could be a good possibility as well. You are correct that Maui and Hilo is on the radar for 2012 but I hear the owner has a new GM that is a baseball fanatic and is also a pitbull from his construction background. From what I hear he is all business. This should be good for Hawaii baseball. Only time will tell !
  #140   IP: 72.234.220.186
Old 05-05-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Chico would be on the radar in the future. Great ballpark & fan base they just need the proper staff running it, and the group in San Rafael might be it.
Chico has always been a great market. Once again why is baseball not being played there ? Pick me to answer....that's right it was controlled and ran by Dia Sports who did not pay the lease to the City. With the right staff and ownership like San Raf. baseball would thrive in Chico again. Just add Chico to my list from the past post. Now that is one great league in my opinion. Add airline partner add good strong commissioner that has no interest except baseball =

Perfect league.