Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
July 23, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 68.59.169.189
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Default USA Basketball and the UBFA

I spoke with Brent Baumberger from USA Basketball today regarding making the UBFA a member of USA Basketball. He affirmed to me that they were definitely interested in seeing this happen. I tried to get a representative from USA Basketball to attend the Sept. 10th Conference, but because it took so long to respond back, it was too short of a notice. Jim Tooley, the Executive Director, is currently in Argentina on other business, and they had two other events that same weekend going on.

He explained the process of how to become a member of USA Basketball. Typically, they like to see 3 years of operational history. He mentioned another league, the ABA, had approached affiliation a few years back, but they were unwilling to force teams to pay the $125 clearance fee for each player (protecting them from being recruited from other teams during the season unless the contract was bought out). He spoke highly of Dennis Truax, saying that he and the CBA were always good to deal with.

He also spoke of their unwillingness to endorse leagues that DO NOT PLAY their full schedule, have LAWSUITS in place (for things like not paying players), etc. They will protect their name at all costs, so if you can't ADHERE TO SOME CLEAR OPERATIONAL STANDARDS, there is no chance. His exact words were that "the ideas behind the UBFA are excellent, and we'd be more than happy to support this."

They did express concern over the vague name - United Basketball Federation of America. It is too vague, and could be confusing to the casual fan. We'll need to address that at the meeting. Overall, it was a great conversation, and he asked to be kept in the loop as things progress.

A step in the right direction by all means! Supporters...let's continue to get things done!

"What do your daily actions say about the pursuit of your dreams?"

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

"When I stand before God at the end of my life
I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

"Delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."
--- Psalm 37:4

Last edited by zeke41; 09-01-2011 at 10:54 AM.
  #2   IP: 76.170.250.103
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 AM

Whatever happened to UBFA? I don't see any mention of UBFA on FBA web site
  #3   IP: 69.138.121.83
Old 04-19-2012, 04:52 PM

All the board members wanted to anoint Mark King to be King Mark, but he was too humble to accept. Turned down the generous financial package we offered him, too.

Without Mark at the helm we knew the thing was doomed so we threw in the towel within like 3 weeks.

The UBFA is not operating and barely got off the ground. Eerily reminiscent of an ABA team actually.
  #4   IP: 76.170.250.103
Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKuntz View Post
All the board members wanted to anoint Mark King to be King Mark, but he was too humble to accept. Turned down the generous financial package we offered him, too.

Without Mark at the helm we knew the thing was doomed so we threw in the towel within like 3 weeks.

The UBFA is not operating and barely got off the ground. Eerily reminiscent of an ABA team actually.
They had a web site, presentation than disappeared the concept was great, too bad
  #5   IP: 68.59.169.189
Old 04-21-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKuntz View Post

I love the sarcasm, Jeff! Basically, I don't do free work. I've done enough of that (especially in the ABA). It is too bad. I thought the plan and the people involved were in place to make it happen. Unfortunately, the things that needed to be done required either a meager salary or a % of ownership interest in the UBFA so that potential earnings would compensate for the work being done. I got neither, so I withdrew, and instead, put my time, effort, money and interest in the Flight and the Florida Basketball Association.

"Our Dreams are the roadmap that God uses to get us to where He intends for us to be!"

I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"

#6   IP: 76.170.250.103
Old 04-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke41 View Post
I love the sarcasm, Jeff! Basically, I don't do free work. I've done enough of that (especially in the ABA). It is too bad. I thought the plan and the people involved were in place to make it happen. Unfortunately, the things that needed to be done required either a meager salary or a % of ownership interest in the UBFA so that potential earnings would compensate for the work being done. I got neither, so I withdrew, and instead, put my time, effort, money and interest in the Flight and the Florida Basketball Association.
You couldn't work for free for a year to get off the ground or the leagues couldn't pay $500 to join?
  #7   IP: 68.59.169.189
Old 04-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenpuppa View Post
You couldn't work for free for a year to get off the ground or the leagues couldn't pay $500 to join?
I built in and proposed revenue streams throughout various sections of the UBFA, most of which was not shared at the meeting but with the people that needed to hear it. I could not work for free, and apparently my ideas were not worth investing in. If I had an ownership interest in the UBFA, I might have worked for free because I believe the revenue streams were solid ideas with a lot of potential. It wasn't offered though. An annual fee was a part of membership dues, but it was decided that the first year should be for free as to build up representation, which I actually agreed on.

This idea is more than an idea to me. It will resurface when the time is right, probably in a strategic, staggered form. Personally, I just needed to spend my time, energy, and finances on something that will bring a financial return back to me, and given what has happened since the initial meeting in Chicago, I have no doubts that I made the right decision.

#8   IP: 69.138.121.83
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 AM

It's true that I was being sarcastic.. although the UBFA isn't operating, the details of the board meetings/calls we DID have deserve to remain private..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke41 View Post
This idea is more than an idea to me. It will resurface when the time is right, probably in a strategic, staggered form.
And it can only succeed when the people behind it are willing to put the needs of the association and the needs of minor pro basketball above their own..
  #9   IP: 174.251.240.227
Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Default Minor League Basketball

Mark, let's chat ... I believe you can keep the idea alive!
  #10   IP: 76.170.250.103
Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Mark, let's chat ... I believe you can keep the idea alive!
Let's get this off the ground!