Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
August 29, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 24.9.68.94
Old 04-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Power Rankings 4/9

Contenders

1- Sioux Falls Storm - Another easy win against Chicago, but the big showdown with Allen is finally here. Granted the showdown may have lost some of the intrigue as Allen may not have a formidable option at QB with the Printers injury; but finally Sioux Falls has to play someone with a D that can maybe hold up against the best offense in the league. Expect this one to be a real high scoring game with Sioux Falls winning by about 10.

2- Tri-Cities Fever - Barely survived in New Mexico, and really haven't been playing dominate football lately. Expect them to be 100% focused on Everett this go around. This team is reminding me a lot of Colorado last year, where they are winning games, but not really dominating as we would expect. Hopefully for them the final result turns out better.

3- Allen Wranglers - Hopefully for them, Printers is healthy enough to play this weekend. With or without Printers I don't see them winning this one, but at least they will have a chance with all of their playmakers on offense and defense. Will by far be the most hyped game so far this season.

Middle of the Pack

4- Green Bay Blizzard - Had a tough game in Cedar Rapids, but as is well known throughout the league, winning on the road is no easy task, especially in a packed house like was the case in Cedar Rapids. One glaring issue on this roster is the play of Porterie(3 interceptions returned for touchdown). Have enough talent at WR, RB, DB, and LB to carry them to a #2 seed in the United Conference.

5- Colorado Ice - Much like Green Bay, won a road game in a very tough place to win road games. This team posses one of the top rushing attacks in the league, but as has been shown throughout the season, when a defense takes away the run and the game is on Knighton's arm, this team struggles. Will get to see if this team has improved much since their last loss in New Mexico when they head to Rio Rancho again this weekend.

6- Bloomington Edge - Didn't think their easy schedule could get any easier, but now they get the fortune of playing Reading two straight games. The play of Burk will allow them to win the games they are supposed to win, and will keep them close enough in the games with the likes of Green Bay. The difference between them hosting a playoff game or playing in Green Bay could be decided when they face off in a few weeks.

Pretenders

7- Wichita Wild - Big win against Omaha will go a long way for this team in helping them towards a playoff spot on the Intense side. The real issue here is does this team go back with Staback when he comes back from his injury?

8- Cedar Rapids Titans - Should have won against Green Bay, but with the offensive play as it is, they were unable to continue what their defense was doing. Lack of play calling (OC changes) or lack of QB play could end with this team being very very frustrated come playoff time.

9- Omaha Beef - Same story different week; a team that is struggling with finding their identity. Coaching decisions on players at the beginning of the season have definitely proven to be bad choices with some of the rookie mistakes that are continually occurring.

10- New Mexico Stars - Not really sure how to read this team. Gave Wichita their first win, but then almost gave Tri-Cities their first loss. Seem to be a team that plays up to their competition while also playing down to their competition. Expect them to be up again as they host Colorado and look to prove that Week 1 wasn't a fluke.

11- Everett Raptors - Big win against Nebraska to get them a little confidence after losing some tough games. Their roster talent may be able to allow them to steal a few games from top teams; this will be necessary if they hope to compete with New Mexico and Wichita for the final playoff spot in the Intense Conference.

12- Lehigh Valley Steelhawks - Really not that impressive of a win against Reading, as they put up a bunch of points late to make it look worse than it really was. Have a lot of issues on the OL and defense that will probably keep them from making the playoffs this season. WR's and QB play will be relied on to carry them throughout the rest of the season.

13- Wyoming Cavalry - Bump up a spot from last week because of their tight game against Colorado. The defensive secondary played better than normal, but the overall defense still gave up a lot of rushing yards, which will continue to put a lot of pressure on the offense to score a lot of points quickly.

14- Nebraska Danger - Not the same without Mayo. His return will hopefully be just in time to help them before the playoffs are out of reach. Very porous defense doesn't help either when trying to get the offense back on track.

15- Chicago Slaughter - Run game was solid against Sioux Falls and that is about it. This team has a lot of issues; seemingly from the lack of coaching/attention to playing good football instead of just putting on a show.

16- Reading Express - This team could be in some major trouble as wins don't appear to be coming anytime soon. Have lost every game by double digits; with their closest game being a 14 point loss to Bloomington in their first game of the season.

Last edited by dizzy; 04-09-2012 at 02:08 PM.
  #2   IP: 96.8.166.214
Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM

You should have a big gap between 1 and 2. Sioux Falls is just that much better right now than any other team.
  #3   IP: 208.107.163.245
Old 04-09-2012, 04:27 PM

Sioux Falls has the best coaching staff by far in the league. No matter who plays or who they lose, they keep winning and finding guys who know their roles and just believe in coach Riggs. The Storm have lost 4 key guys already this year but havent missed a beat. Johnsen, Moore, JJ Jones, James Terry although hes back now. So now they have 4 WR that could be a number 1 option for any team, what a problem to have haha.
  #4   IP: 24.9.68.94
Old 04-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry101jlh View Post
You should have a big gap between 1 and 2. Sioux Falls is just that much better right now than any other team.
Very, very true
  #5   IP: 24.9.68.94
Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C187 View Post
Sioux Falls has the best coaching staff by far in the league. No matter who plays or who they lose, they keep winning and finding guys who know their roles and just believe in coach Riggs. The Storm have lost 4 key guys already this year but havent missed a beat. Johnsen, Moore, JJ Jones, James Terry although hes back now. So now they have 4 WR that could be a number 1 option for any team, what a problem to have haha.
I will give you Sims, Solomon, and Terry as #1 options for basically every team (except maybe Allen or Everett), but Brown would be lucky to be a #2 or #3 for a lot of teams. The reason he is still around is because he can serve as a very solid back up QB if Sioux Falls ever gets tired of Chris Dixon killing defenses.
  #6   IP: 96.8.166.214
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
Very, very true
The $$$$ spent in Sioux Falls have paid bigger dividends than they have in Allen for sure.
  #7   IP: 70.182.252.236
Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
7- Wichita Wild - Big win against Omaha will go a long way for this team in helping them towards a playoff spot on the Intense side. The real issue here is does this team go back with Staback when he comes back from his injury?
If Staback's healthy, then you have to go with him. I saw the game against Allen where he went down. The offense was humming when Staback was in. Allen struggled to stop him. When Staback went out, the Wichita offense stalled out after the second series with the other QB. I wouldn't go as far as saying Wichita would have won with Staback, because the Wichita defense couldn't make stops and the kicking game was spotty.
  #8   IP: 24.111.51.244
Old 04-10-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I will give you Sims, Solomon, and Terry as #1 options for basically every team (except maybe Allen or Everett), but Brown would be lucky to be a #2 or #3 for a lot of teams. The reason he is still around is because he can serve as a very solid back up QB if Sioux Falls ever gets tired of Chris Dixon killing defenses.
I'd say there are a lot of teams that would salivate over Brown. He's a great team player. Special teams.. check, backup QB, check,PAT/FG holder, check, 3rd WR , check...

Terry is coming off of off-season foot surgery, and he did not look too good in the 1 game he played for Cedar Rapids. As a Storm fan I want to see him instantly return to 2010-2011 form, but the realist in me thinks it'll take time. Solo hasn't run, or can't run the fly sweep that Terry ran so well the past two years.
  #9   IP: 24.9.68.94
Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer_Texxx View Post
I'd say there are a lot of teams that would salivate over Brown. He's a great team player. Special teams.. check, backup QB, check,PAT/FG holder, check, 3rd WR , check...

Terry is coming off of off-season foot surgery, and he did not look too good in the 1 game he played for Cedar Rapids. As a Storm fan I want to see him instantly return to 2010-2011 form, but the realist in me thinks it'll take time. Solo hasn't run, or can't run the fly sweep that Terry ran so well the past two years.
Many teams would love Brown's services, but I was saying not as a #1. He is the perfect player for a roster with the way they are this year. Very few players out there that can start/play/or be a key backup at 5 different positions....only other players I have seen or heard of playing multiple positions this year in actual games and being effective are, Scott Burnkowski (WR, QB, Special Teams; has played all 3 this season), Steven Whitehead (WR, RB, KR, Special Teams; has played all 4 this season), Jeremy Sanders (WR, QB, RB, LB, Special Teams; has played all but QB this season, but I have heard he is a heck of a QB), and Maurice Avery (WR, QB, Special Teams; has played all 3). I'm sure there are a few others that I am missing out on, but these types of players are vital this season with the rosters cut down 5 spots.