Minor League Sports News on OurSports Central
October 31, 2014
Minor League Games Today
Follow OSC on
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

OurSports Central Independent and Minor League Sports Forums
As the home for independent and minor league sports, OurSports Central's message boards are the perfect place to discuss your favorite teams and leagues with other fans, players and team and league administrators. Our boards cover all the leagues represented on OSC including independent and minor league baseball, indoor and Arena football, outdoor and indoor lacrosse, mens and womens basketball, junior and minor league hockey, outdoor and indoor soccer and more. Before posting for the first time, please consult our FAQ. Contact us with any questions.

#1   IP: 76.193.16.144
Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Default IBL...Oops! IBA Spring season begins in March

I'm debating on attending games. Times have changed. I used to get excited about renting VHS movies from the public library. Now I don't. I used to get excited about DOS operating system. Now I don't. I used to get excited about minor league basketball...well, you know the rest.

Minor league basketball needs an infusion of new ideas--badly!
  #2   IP: 75.118.156.246
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken, Steelheads fan View Post
I'm debating on attending games. Times have changed. I used to get excited about renting VHS movies from the public library. Now I don't. I used to get excited about DOS operating system. Now I don't.
Wait until you get older....

I used to like snow....Hate it!
I used to like yard work....Hate it!
I used to like driving long distances....Hate it!

The Spring IBA, IBL, etc. may get more interest if they would at least make an effort to be productive and therefore, noticed.

It's been a long time (actually the disaster of a 2007 USBL season) since we actually had spring/summer basketball to look forward to...

Quote:
Ken, Steelheads fan I used to get excited about minor league basketball...well, you know the rest.

Minor league basketball needs an infusion of new ideas--badly
Exactly...As I used to look forward to mid to late November (It meant the start up of the CBA season, and segue into the holidays)....

Now it means "Will a minor league other than the D-League ever get it's act together?". It seems like a longshot as most of the better indy league markets were snagged up by the D-League.

Proud to be "Mean Spirited, Angry, Bitter Blogging, Blogger #804.1" -- (For Joe Newman I.D. Purposes)

Missing the Continental Basketball Association a little bit more, everyday...

NAHL Jamestown!!! -- At least it lasted for a while....
http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=4198865
  #3   IP: 208.80.28.121
Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM

I like your little sig note about missing the CBA more and more. When I grew up in the late 80ís early 90ís I lived midway between Rockford and Quad City and attended many games at both locations (Wharton Field House was an awesome place to take in a game). It was a big deal to make the hour trip. Both teams had favorites of mine, but we would locate the rosters of other teams and go when certain favorite players of mine played (usually college stars that didnít make it to the NBA). A good time for sure. Now Rockford has hockey (which is fun, but not the same) and Quad City doesnít seem to be the sports town I once thought it was.
  #4   IP: 24.148.105.128
Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Basketball simply doesn't require the kind of feeder system baseball and hockey do. Therefore any "AA" league is extremely unlikely to have a connection to the NBA in basketball the way even the ECHL can occassionally grow prospects to the NHL.

Therefore I don't think ever-cheaper "development" leagues are the path to success. D1 College teams are generally heavily subsidized and absorb most of that footprint in the US. Even now with the affiliated D-League, most of the franchises are in cities that don't have a major D1 team. When the D-League came to the Northeast, they ended up in cities without D1 teams: Erie, Springfield and Portland (ME).

Though Canada is generally not a big basketball country, the lack of substantial college competition makes it possible for a pro league to make it. In the US, I think the only way it works is to try to build something like the Euroleague, below the NBA but not a development league like the D-League.
  #5   IP: 207.67.98.65
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM

My internal debate is over and I guess times haven't changed that much. I'm at the Splash Spring home games just like I was for the Fall/Winter games. Games are more entertaining than I expected. The Spring ticket prices weren't reduced as announced for the Fall/Winter fans (yes, I remember), but I also understand the team needs revenue.