PDA

View Full Version : The Jam in a Jam, again?

a1sports
01-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Check the Jax morning paper and the coach says no money has been paid to players and the owner says otherwise.

I called the one player I have contact with and he said that the league is paying them. I guess the real story will be out soon.

The_Whale
01-24-2008, 06:37 PM
that's a shame

LightningMan
01-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Here is a story on the matter from the Florida Times Union (http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/012408/spl_239556244.shtml).

While it is a shame that Jacksonville has come to this, I think it is exemplary that the league itself is paying the team. If the owners cannot pay the players, they should just sell the team back to the league and let the PBL run it as MLB did the Expos / Nationals.

DazedAndAmused
01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
yep, here it is:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/012408/spl_239556244.shtml

this has been fishy from the beginning. my feeling is that the league will help here if needed, but will the coaches and players in the interests of making a power play against the owner leave an opponent hanging without time for the league to act? hopefully the league has direct contact with the coaches and players to keep this from happening.

DazedAndAmused
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
lightningman, you beat me to it.

Paul S
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
The owner of the Jam has essentially abandoned ship.

He invested (sucker) into the ABA and then was told come to the PBL to make some real money. The guy thought this was an instant money maker.

DazedAndAmused
01-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't THINK this guy is that stupid. I am more inclined to believe what a1 has said in that he is using the threat of folding to cut contracts (which is slimey for sure.) Whatever happened to meeting your obligations? To both your players and your league? I also believe that this guy has the money.

The PBL looks to be on the sidelines, willing to fund the players and coaches, but they may be victim of timing and power plays before they can get in. I hope the league gets the Jam through this season and then purges this owner.

DazedAndAmused
01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
According to Gillespie, players and coaches haven't been paid by the second-year franchise

Here is my read based on reports here and from one source that I have. Players and coaches have been paid, though it is by the league and not "by the second-year franchise." I don't think the owner has any intention of renewing contracts, but instead will ride this out as long as he can (classy move.)

The league will continue to pay so the team will continue to play. They are already paying all travel anyway it has reported. The question really comes down to the venue. Have they been paid? Will they turn the lights on for the next home game? This owner essentially is stringing on both the players and the league. I'd like to know how the bond works into this..when it can be executed, etc. But, the immediate concern is likely making sure there are no last minute changes or cancellations. So far I am told all games are still on come hell or high water.

preeths
01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Updated:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/012508/spo_240048631.shtml

LightningMan
01-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Updated:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/012508/spo_240048631.shtml
"Everyone has said this won't happen again, and I believe Felix [Krupczynski, owner of the JAM] and the league," [Mike] Gillespie [coach of the JAM] said. "They all gave us assurances that this was a one-time thing."
Let's hope that it is. Again the league seems to be about firefighting and keeping the focus on games. I have a suspicion that the Jacksonville situation is going to be radically different next year, though.

tbayz1
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Well its good to hear that this whole situation is settled

But lets all hope that it won't happen again (or at least this season) and players and coaches continue to get paid, and paid on time, by Felix, because for something like this to already happen a few weeks in is never a good sign.