PDA

View Full Version : D-League to Maine?

flasah
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
PORTLAND (NEWS CENTER/AP) -- A business group wants to bring a minor league basketball team to maine, and they're putting on a full court press to make it a Boston Celtics affiliate.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=79116

There would need to be more eastern teams,
perhaps a division of:

Maine (Bos)
Harlem (NYK)
Hamilton (Tor)
Toledo/Youngstown/Erie (Cle)

jjbballfan
01-25-2008, 02:42 PM
PORTLAND (NEWS CENTER/AP) -- A business group wants to bring a minor league basketball team to maine, and they're putting on a full court press to make it a Boston Celtics affiliate.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=79116

There would need to be more eastern teams,
perhaps a division of:

Maine (Bos)
Harlem (NYK)
Hamilton (Tor)
Toledo/Youngstown/Erie (Cle)

I think everybody wants to paint themselves as the Celtics minor league team..... The question I have is do the Celtics want there minor league team there? I don't know but it seemed as if they were pretty happy with Utah being it at least for now and I haven't heard them complaining about travel distance or scouting issues....

Pounder
01-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I know that Boston would put on a public face to say that they're happy with Utah, and Danny Ainge will NEVER want to be associated with any sort of burn towards the area where he played college ball.

However, if TWO cities are talking about attracting a Celtics reserve team, then you can probably bet there's been discussions behind the scenes. Add your variant to the smoke / fire cliche as needed.

I also tend to think that the Flash can exist as a Jazz-owned club. I don't see them losing anything by losing Boston's affiliation.

jjbballfan
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I know that Boston would put on a public face to say that they're happy with Utah, and Danny Ainge will NEVER want to be associated with any sort of burn towards the area where he played college ball.

However, if TWO cities are talking about attracting a Celtics reserve team, then you can probably bet there's been discussions behind the scenes. Add your variant to the smoke / fire cliche as needed.

I also tend to think that the Flash can exist as a Jazz-owned club. I don't see them losing anything by losing Boston's affiliation.

I agree with you there but the point I am getting to is I have heard Isaiah and other Northeast clubs say that there affiliate is too far away and that they play a system they don't like and so on, but Boston has sent players to Utah and has seemed to be pretty happy with doing so, yet all these clubs that want to put a team in the Northeast say we want Boston to be are affiliate, yet I don't see anywhere in there where it says Boston wants an affiliate closer to home....... Personally I think a clubs affiliate should be aways from home (at least 4 hours preferably more) The reason I say that is so when you go down you are motivated to come back up, not like Utah where you are driving distance away and still can hang around with the big club.....

Pounder
01-28-2008, 02:07 PM
The real value to the arrangement is having all or some D-League players in the same scrimmage with the NBA players, at least as much as possible. That's where the most development takes place. That's why Europe is waving to USA while it passes, or at least begins to pass.

Will NBA FO folks discover that?

bectond
02-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Personally I think a clubs affiliate should be aways from home (at least 4 hours preferably more) The reason I say that is so when you go down you are motivated to come back up, not like Utah where you are driving distance away and still can hang around with the big club.....

If you were a player, scout or development coach I’m sure you would feel differently. In Utah the whole Jazz staff can attend practice whenever they like, and Flash players get seen daily by Jazz coaches. If you are playing in the middle of no where nobody is going to see you play and the parent teams coaches won't know who you are as a player. If they don't know you they may not call you up. If the teams are close to the parent club their scouts will go to the games to evaluate visiting players. Therefore, each road game would also provide an opportunity for players to be seen by NBA scouts from different teams. If a road game were played, say in Yellowknife, no scouts would attend and NBA teams would be leery of dispatching there developmental coaches to Yellowknife. Therefore, they would keep their young players on the parent club.

Having the D-League affiliate close by would make life easier for everybody involved.

Pounder
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
The whole reason for the Showcase is having a one-stop location for scouts and GMs to congregate. The players all talk about the heightened exposure and thus the "playing harder" aspect at that event.

Some of the talk in Boise WAS about the advantages that Austin and the D-fenders are enjoying. It might seep into the heads of other NBA FOs that keeping the "reserve team" close by (and owning it, BTW) is the way to go. That should alleviate the need for the Showcase in due time.

logoguru
02-04-2008, 12:26 PM
They haven't gotten it yet and Hartford is on the list....which makes more sense in terms of logistics.
________
Cheap glass pipes (http://glasspipes.net/)

bectond
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
The whole reason for the Showcase is having a one-stop location for scouts and GMs to congregate. The players all talk about the heightened exposure and thus the "playing harder" aspect at that event.

Some of the talk in Boise WAS about the advantages that Austin and the D-fenders are enjoying. It might seep into the heads of other NBA FOs that keeping the "reserve team" close by (and owning it, BTW) is the way to go. That should alleviate the need for the Showcase in due time.

Once the NBADL (:-D ) expands to 20+ teams I don't see how the showcase format will work. The league will simply have too many teams to showcase all the talent at one venue.

Running plays from multiple teams and tailoring your system to suit players from different organizations at different times has to be tough work for a d-league coach. (As teams with multiple parent clubs must do) LA and Austin get to focus on a single style of play and that must be a lot easier to do.

Unlike others, I think the D-League will grow into a top flight pro basketball league where the top high school players will spend a year or two developing their basketball and life skills instead of honing their masonry skills in the NCAA under the wide array of used car salesmen that call themselves basketball coaches . D-League teams will have to be close to the parent club for the simply fact that GMs want easy access to the goods. Not only to games but access to the practices as well. They will want to inspect every aspect of young players lives, they want coaches they trust informing them on a players work habits, they want their own 1st and 2nd year NBA players to report on young players as well. They may even start garaging more career minor league vets in the D-League (some as teaches and mentors and a few as moles) to report back to the parent clubs about the fresh meat on market. I think I can speak for all of us when I see none of us want to see another Kwame Brown. Therefore, the D-league may become more than just a place to get rookies some burn, it may end up replacing high stakes NCAA college basketball as the top producer of pro basketball prospects. Think about it, all the NBA has to do is raise salaries to about $150,000 per year.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Once the NBADL ( ) expands to 20+ teams I don't see how the showcase format will work. The league will simply have too many teams to showcase all the talent at one venue. Well, even if it gets to 30 teams they can still play 15 games in four days. Hell, if the D-League is that big a deal it could be expanded to a weeklong event.

bectond
02-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Well, even if it gets to 30 teams they can still play 15 games in four days. Hell, if the D-League is that big a deal it could be expanded to a weeklong event.

It would have to be 2 games per team (so scouts can get a second look, if a guy caught their eye for the first time). That would require 30 games for 30 teams. At 4 games a day, that would take 8 days. For some reason my mind can't accept that timeframe. I can't see scouts staying in some small town that long. 4 days is a long time to spend in a place like Yellowknife, 8 days would be a little too much to ask. After day 4 or 5 75% of the NBA guys would blow out of town anyway.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
It would have to be 2 games per team (so scouts can get a second look, if a guy caught their eye for the first time)If they want a second look, they can take a trip to see that player someplace else. The only real reason to eliminate the showcase would be if teams NBA teams actually held some kind of rights to all the players on their D-League teams.

jjbballfan
02-05-2008, 03:41 PM
i think there is ways to make the Dleague showcase work with 20+ teams.... you could go to a city with 2 venues that could house it..... Rapid City (though not in the Dleague currently) has 2 arenas as part of the same venue.... Tulsa has 2-3 venues..... and so on.... you could also break it up by league..... or something like that....