PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Smith on TNT, Nice plug for PBL

a1sports
01-24-2008, 07:41 AM
So far PBL has good exposure with Kenny. Monday night They asked shaq if kenny would be a good commisioner of the PBL, and Shaq said, Kenny Who?

CBA and PBL should start talking and promoting they will be working together now...only good can come of it.

TheStandard
01-24-2008, 01:25 PM
i think it wasnt that nice of a plug

because at first Charles and Mr. Johnson were poking at Smith for being a commish. and all he did was look all stoic and quiet. like embarrassed.

Especially when Barkley had them put out the "Will Commish For Food" bum in hand sign.

I though it was funny but at the same time not nice but i bet people got on line to find out what the Premier league was.

LightningMan
01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I though it was funny but at the same time not nice but I bet people got on line to find out what the Premier league was.
Which tends toward the axiom that the only bad publicity is no publicity. Since the PBL seems to be trying to not be a circus itself, mentions like these, even if comedy fodder, will help.

Perhaps TNT might get interested enough to show the PBL championship.

DazedAndAmused
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
The first plug a month or so back on TNT was similar. Kenny described the PBL mission in honest terms, and there were a few fun jabs.

But to my knowledge, no other minor league is getting any national pub, so this is absolutely not a bad thing. (I agree with LightningMan.)

It also further distances the PBL from some of the other leagues, which is good for them as well for now.

Now, they just need to keep getting their games played, building their local fan bases, refine their technology (stats, game streaming, etc) and keep plugging ahead. BTW, the pics on the PBL site are showing some rather full bleachers from recent games. Now, they may be smaller venues, but still.....

LightningMan
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
BTW, the pics on the PBL site are showing some rather full bleachers from recent games. Now, they may be smaller venues, but still.....
This is actually quite important, Dazed. A packed house, even if smaller, has a greater energy effect than in a larger venue, making for a more exciting and entertaining time.

This was demonstrated to me rather dramatically back in Cleveland. A crowd of 40K at Cleveland Municipal Stadium for an Indians game looked half full and the team played like it and the crowd cheered like it. That same size crowd at Jacobs Field (or now Progressive Field) was the noisiest, most raucous baseball crowd this side of Japan, partly because that size was a packed house. Yes, I know the Indians improved the product on the field at the same time but even in the lean years between the 90s club and today's club, the energy level has still stayed high comparatively.

Let the PBL clubs consistently pack their current houses before worrying about larger venues.