PDA

View Full Version : D-League Guards

jwill27715
01-23-2008, 07:49 PM
After watching the"Showcase" via the web I am curious as to whether the league has any point guards. I saw very little passing or plays being set. The "bigs" seemed to know that there best chance for any offensive action was to rebound and take their shot. To be fair, I did see Chris Taft display a decent inside game when he posted up and got entry passes. Thurl Bailey commented that he seemed to be open and ready every trip down the court.

Am I wrong?

abie10
01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I think that is because of the number of scouts out there. I know that Basketball is a team sport and passing, blah blah blah. I think at the showcase it became a me me me thing. I even heard the announcers say something similar to that as well...

ChumpDumper
01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Eddie Gill and Kevin Kruger are among the few effective true point guards in the D-League. Most of the rest are converted shooting guards.

There are also only a couple of true post scorers in the league. Taft isn't one of them.

DakotaWiz
01-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Haha, yes, you picked a bad week to watch if looking for team players. Randy Livingston, Eddie Gill, Kevin Kruger, and Mo Baker (sometimes) are about the only true point guards there are in the D-League. The rest are, as said, converted/combo guards or shoot-first pg's...

True post presences include Kevin Lyde, Elton Brown, and Lance Allred, from what I've seen thus far. Jelani McCoy can also work in the post, but he played limited minutes up here and didn't really get to show it off much. I know Kris Lang is good as well, but haven't seen him in person..

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 12:22 AM
How could I have not mentioned Livingston?

I'd include Ian Mahimni in the post scorers; he doesn't have many moves, but they are effective. He doesn't get the ball nearly as much as he should, but I blame some of his teammates who think they are better than they actually are.

jjbballfan
01-24-2008, 12:39 AM
what about the skyforces PG.... I think hes from Syracuse but I'm not sure Bailey might be his last name I'm not sure I have heard good things about there pg whoever it is though.....

DakotaWiz
01-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I wanted to include Mahinmi, but haven't seen enough of him.. Is Lang still around?? I know this is about the time overseas things are happening, and I've heard rumblings up here of guys leaving.. Noticed Lang didn't play tonight. Also, David Bailey is probably classified a pass-first point guard, but I don't think he's one of the best. He is fun to watch.

ChumpDumper
01-24-2008, 03:01 AM
Lang's wife just had a kid; that's why he's out.

I wouldn't mind terribly if some combination of Lang, Justin Reed and DerMarr Johnson left. They're turning out to be ballhogs who are killing the offense and stunting Ian's development.