PDA

View Full Version : General info

formerlyknownasfells
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Hey guys,

I am heading to DC this weekend to broadcast a couple of games for the Maryland Nighthawks. I am curious to know if anyone has seen the Nighthawks, Jam and Railers play in person. (Jam on Saturday, Railers on Sunday)

First off, what is the quality of play in the league?

Secondly, is there anyone I should watch out for on either of the three teams?
Scouting reports are welcome!! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys,

Chris

Also, what FIBA rules does the league use?

The_Whale
01-22-2008, 08:27 PM
You're going to broadcast the Nighthawks game? Where?

i've seen the two Nighthawks home games this season. The quality of play is about the same as when they were in the ABA. The Nighthawks play in a high school gym with a high school three point line; so lots of three point shots taken and made. The games can get a bit frantic at times, with lots of substitutions, turnovers, and bad shots but all in all I think the quality of the athletes and games are pretty good. The refs seem to be ok.

I suppose the Nighthawks star player is #23 Hugh "baby shaq" Jones. He dribbles and shoots a lot, but doesn't seem to waste much time passing... Jones, Bailey, Jefferson, and Matos are the backbone of the team. Rogus does the typical white guy shooting guard thing; quality minutes and lots of three's.

We'll see if JO and Tamir come back from injuries, but they didn't figure too much when they were healthy (so far).

I think i'll be at the game on Saturday so I'll see you there.

The_Whale
01-22-2008, 08:36 PM

Not many in the games I've seen....

LightningMan
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
I am curious to know if anyone has seen the Nighthawks, Jam and Railers play in person. (Jam on Saturday, Railers on Sunday)

Scouting reports are welcome!!
I can't really rate the quality of play. If you forced me to guess, I'd think about second tier college level but more polished.

I saw the Nighthawks against the Sea Dawgs. They're tall. They're tough inside. They did not appear to be a running team, as when Wilmington went small they couldn't keep up with them. They appeared to be fairly strong defensively. They had trouble that night hitting their free throws.

The_Whale
01-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Jam and Railers play in person. (Jam on Saturday, Railers on Sunday)

When I saw the Railers play the Nighthawks i thought the Hawks had better athletes but the Railers were better coached, especially in the fourth quarter (although one the hawk's best player (Bailey) was injured and out of the game at the time).

The_Whale
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
They had trouble that night hitting their free throws.

the Nighthawks had trouble with FTs when the played the Railers too...

formerlyknownasfells
01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
You're going to broadcast the Nighthawks game? Where?

i've seen the two Nighthawks home games this season. The quality of play is about the same as when they were in the ABA. The Nighthawks play in a high school gym with a high school three point line; so lots of three point shots taken and made. The games can get a bit frantic at times, with lots of substitutions, turnovers, and bad shots but all in all I think the quality of the athletes and games are pretty good. The refs seem to be ok.

I suppose the Nighthawks star player is #23 Hugh "baby shaq" Jones. He dribbles and shoots a lot, but doesn't seem to waste much time passing... Jones, Bailey, Jefferson, and Matos are the backbone of the team. Rogus does the typical white guy shooting guard thing; quality minutes and lots of three's.

We'll see if JO and Tamir come back from injuries, but they didn't figure too much when they were healthy (so far).

I think i'll be at the game on Saturday so I'll see you there.

Where I will be, I am not sure as I have not been to the arena before. I believe it will be at or very near midcourt.

Thanks for the information on the teams.

Chris

The_Whale
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
I saw the Nighthawks against the Sea Dawgs. .

I thought the Sea Dogs were the better team, and their record shows it. The Nighthaws have lost to the Sea Dogs twice; and I'm not surprised.

But I don't think the Nighthawks are as bad as their record. Three of of their loses were close to the end.

The_Whale
01-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Where I will be, I am not sure as I have not been to the arena before. I believe it will be at or very near midcourt.

No, not "where".

But on what network, website, etc. will you be broadcasting?

ladijay713
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
I KN0W Y0U DiDNT ASK AB0UT ANY 0F THESE TEAMS {ARKANSAS, DALLAS, 0R QUAD CiTiES} BUT i HAD THE CHANCE T0 SEE THEM PLAY AGAiNST ARKANSAS @ H0ME THiS PAST WEEKEND.
ARKANSAS HAS A REALLY G00D TEAM AND BEAT QC WH0 WAS UNDEAFTED FRiDAY NiGHT.
UNF0RNATELY THEY L0ST THE NEXT DAY AGAiNST DALLAS WH0 GAiNED THEiR FiRST ViCT0RY THAT NiGHT.
0UT 0F THE 3 THAT i HAVE SEEN PERS0NALLY i W0ULD SAY THAT ARKANSAS AND DALLAS HAVE THE STR0NGEST.

LETS G0 iMPACT!!!!

QC_Hawks_fan
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey guys,

I am heading to DC this weekend to broadcast a couple of games for the Maryland Nighthawks. I am curious to know if anyone has seen the Nighthawks, Jam and Railers play in person. (Jam on Saturday, Railers on Sunday)

Scouting reports are welcome!! :mrgreen:

Thanks guys,

Chris

FIBA Rules include, live ball once it hits the rim, no basket interference, 20'9" 3-point line, a quick throw in on violations on front court violations by the offense, restricted area in front of the basket. There is also a resemblance to the NBA rules too.

Quality of play: I've seen the Rockford Fury, Quad City Riverhawks & Chicago Throwbacks, fast, hard played professional basketball. There are players that have the ability to play in the NBA, I'm hopeful that the NBA scouts will get out to see some of these games.