PDA

View Full Version : Wilmington defeats Maryland, goes 5-0

LightningMan
01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
On a night where another team from Maryland stopped the winning streak of another team from North Carolina, the Wilmington Sea Dawgs were bound and determined not to make it two for two and pummeled the visiting Nighthawks 105 to 89.

The Nighthawks played the Sea Dawgs tough early, staying with them the entire first quarter while getting the Sea Dawgs front line into early foul trouble. But as is sometimes the case, when the Sea Dawgs were forced to go smaller in the second quarter, they pushed out to a small lead. In the third quarter, more foul trouble brought back the smaller lineup and the lead pushed out further. Maryland began pressing in the fourth quarter, which led to wide open, coast to coast basketball, which the Sea Dawgs held their own and held onto the lead for the relatively easy win. The hard luck Nighthawks are now 0-5.

The referee problem was in evidence tonight. With black shirts and numbering similar to the Nighthawks uniforms, it was hard at a quick glance to know which you were looking at. I believe the league should either outlaw black as a jersey color (not going to happen), have the refs wear the traditional striped jerseys, make the refs wear gold when there is a team wearing black, or do something to make the black referee tops stand out.

The crowd was decent, given the inclement weather, but down from last week. The bad news for the Sea Dawgs (and seemingly the good news for the Nighthawks) is that Maryland is the only Eastern division team they do not play four times.

The_Whale
01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
With black shirts and numbering similar to the Nighthawks uniforms, it was hard at a quick glance to know which you were looking at. I believe the league should either outlaw black as a jersey color (not going to happen), have the refs wear the traditional striped jerseys, make the refs wear gold when there is a team wearing black, or do something to make the black referee tops stand out.

I've seen nighthawks players pass the ball to the refs twice in the two home games I've been to, both times it was early in the game.....