PDA

View Full Version : Stats please

not so fast
01-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I know it takes a lot of people to run a league and especially a new league, but each team should be required to find a qualified person to do game stats, and fax box scores to the league office after each game. With ten teams, the most you could have on any one given night is Five games, so even if the league has to help with this, they should.

Most of these teams are near or in an arena or gym that has other teams, whether it is high school or college games played there. So all you have to do is get their stat guy and pay him (or her). I mean most people who do stats would love an opportunity to make a few extra dollars doing a game. This should be an easy fix. Then fax that to league office and they should post those box scores on the league website that night or certainly by the next morning.

I must emphasize that the players playing in this league, are all trying to move on to bigger opportunities, so they need quality maintained stats as well as quality games tapes. So it is vitaly important that league makes sure this is being done. With all due respect to the PBL, no one really wants to be a lifelong player in the PBL. And the real good players and their agents are not going to play in an invisible league.

LightningMan
01-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Your complaint is a fair one. I believe as the league shakes out all the bugs this year this will be addressed.

And the league isn't invisible. I was able to add a PBL module to my Yahoo sports page. Granted every item on it comes from here, but at least it's active and updated. The Arena Football League module there has been updated in months.

not so fast
01-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Actually did not mean it in a negative way, but the old USBL was known as the invisible league because of this reason, it was hard to get info from it. As someone who was involved with the start up of the UPBL, canadian league a few years ago, the ABA, and the IBL, this league (PBL) is way far ahead of any of those leagues.

Minorleague basketball is a tough business to run. It takes a lot of people who care, and know what they are doing. That is why I got to give credit to Tom Mcginn of Rockford and quad Cities. To own two teams and have them up and running now going on two years is really huge.

In this business there are only a few good owners, and he is one of them. If he chooses to stay in it and move to only one franchise, he will really do well in it. He then can make sure he has all the right people from Coach to GM, all together for one cause instead of divided.

DazedAndAmused
01-19-2008, 09:46 PM
I am seeing some stats going up the night of the games, at least over the last couple of days.....I think the stats that are going up are from joc trac. But, the standings pages don't seem to get updated instantly from the joc trac data, and I personally don't find the joc trac web pages particularly intuitive to navigate through. But, I did just check some stats from a game this evening on the pbl site.

turbocamyes
01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
In terms of box scores and player totals, the USBL has actually been pretty good over the last couple of years. There were problems last season with missing games, but overall, the league updated the box scores on the site regularly. The best by far was the CBA, which had only one error last year (a player for Yakama was listed in an early box score after he had been released), but was corrected by season’s end. My only gripe was that the league dumped all released players into an “Others” total; however, since the boxes were available, it was fairly easy to break those totals out. The D-League had multiple problems, too many to list, and I had to use a combination of boxscores, league supplied totals and Basketball-Reference to come up with player stats.
Now having said all that, this weekend I stumbled over a site listing totals from Howe Data for all three leagues—the CBA back to 1991-92, the USBL to 1995-96 and every season of the D-League.

As for the PBL, as of today I’m still missing three box scores from this weekend. And Arkansas is no longer listed on Joctrac.

DazedAndAmused
01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I see all 5 arkansas games posted, but i get an error when I click quad cities. I think joc trac has some kinks in general. hopefully they'll get it straightened out soon.

wthomas
01-25-2008, 09:12 PM
How can rec leagues like the one I play in, Ultimate Hoops (http://www.ultimatehoopsmn.com/topflight/home.cfm), have their box scores, photos, recap article, post-game interviews, ect up in a few hours after game nights and the PBL can't?

Other than that, PBL's site seems to be light years ahead of the ABA.

DazedAndAmused
01-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Where are you looking for stats?

ChumpDumper
01-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Dallas has a box from last Sunday in an Excel spreadsheet for some reason.

DazedAndAmused
01-25-2008, 09:41 PM
I see box scores for all 5 Arkansas games on line with joc trac under the stats link on the pbl site. I haven't checked the individual team sites.

DazedAndAmused
01-25-2008, 09:44 PM
CD, sorry.....arkansas does not equal dallas. my bad. dunno what is going on there.

turbocamyes
01-31-2008, 09:46 AM
So far, I have stats from every games except the last ARK vs DAL game. Not all boxscores are complete--some are missing minutes, shots attempted, or have defensive stats under-reported. Still, it isn't bad for a start.

not so fast
02-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I know the league office has been busy with the Jacksonville situation and Dallas situation, but can somebody please update the stats?

Again I repeat, players need accurate current stats and good game tapes.

DazedAndAmused
02-08-2008, 11:28 PM
supposedly, the way joc trac works this should be happening upon completion of the games if there is an internet connection, but i think the league must have to do something too. for example, stats that show up for one team for a game don't always show up in the opposing teams section right away. i'm not exactly sure how the program works.

turbocamyes
02-09-2008, 06:40 AM
I have stats for all but the last three Dallas games.

DazedAndAmused
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I am hearing that game tapes are not an issue, at least for the teams I know of.