PDA

View Full Version : Jax Jam are fine

DazedAndAmused
01-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Worst thing about the Jam this year is their record as their competition is much stiffer (perhaps to their surprise....no weak teams to play 10 times like last year.)

Could they be losing money this year? Probably, just like 95%+ of all minor leaguers. Will the league subsidize some of the costs? Probably...aren't they paying for the teams travel as has been reported here already? If operationally the team was having trouble, would the league step in? Probably.

LightningMan
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
This is good to know. Given the fact that most of this league has danced the ABA Folding Team Two Step™ before, I would have to have hoped that no one would be let in that seemed too shaky to finish the year.

I believe a lot of the concern / speculation / pot stirring will die down once the league has an entire season under its belt.

DazedAndAmused
01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Anything is possible in this crazy business, but I would pick 5 or 6 other teams in front of Jacksonsville as potentially having issues associated with money. If there were money issues, with 8 weeks left in the season, the league would likely step in to manage the situation. In such an event, would they be back next year? Probably not. But that's a typical off season in minor league ball.

a1sports
01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Jam owner may be having Financial problems., trying to get confirmation.
If so , this will be a test to how the PBL reacts.

DazedAndAmused
01-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't have the contacts at the very "top" that you do, but a1 you're right....if there is a serious issue here, the key is in how it is handled by the league. I have been told that there will be "no Jax Jam folding" this season, but I can't assume that this won't mean new ownership or a league bail out. Paul S did allude to that as a possibility.

a1sports
01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
In minor league sports there is always the possibility of a team having a financial crisis, no matter how big a bond was posted. Looking at minor league pro sports ( excluding ABA,which really doesnt count as pro sports) the true test of a league is how they respond to a team in trouble. In the semi -pro rec league of the ABA the CEO would use simple words and say the team was thrown out or suspended or allow another ownwership group in that city, it didnt matter the CEO let everyone in as long as he got his 10K, and a few games were played and most missed, no one really cares, nothing new on that front.

A team can post a bond and look good on paper but you never know what lerks behind the scenes and what personal and business events may happen during the season.

If JAcksonville has a problem. Lets watch and see how the PBL reacts. THis will be a litmus test for the league. Utah folded in the CBA during the season last year, that league handled it correctly.

not so fast
01-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Everything will be okay, league has handled it already.

DazedAndAmused
01-16-2008, 12:57 PM
My grapevine suggests Jax games are on for the season, though there is some question is to how the ownership will pan out either at or before the end of the year. Reading between the lines here, sounds like the league will be involved.

not so fast
01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
To the leagues credit, they seem determined not to be viewed as another ABA type league, so they are making sure the team completes their season.

If the league finishes the season with these 10 teams in place, and pick up some new teams in the off season, that will be a very good indicator for the future.

Hopefully that will happen. I mist admit, Jacksonville really came off like big players in the beginning, so it is a little suprising that they were the first franchise to have problems, but it appears it has been resolved.

If the CBA and PBL merge next season which must still be a possibility, Its going to have to be some ego reduction to make it work.

Sam Hill
01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
To the leagues credit, they seem determined not to be viewed as another ABA type league, so they are making sure the team completes their season.

What a concept.

one way
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
so now we are two weeks in the season and the League office is running two franchises. Not a good sign. Also Rockford and Quad Cities are drawing flies. The Razor Sharks are not drawing as expected. Those are red flags. How is Reading drawing?

a1sports
01-16-2008, 06:41 PM
As of today, when I called, the league isnt running any franchises. So which Franchise are you referring to? If its Chicago I talked to the owner a few weeks ago and he is the only one running it.

DazedAndAmused
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
As of right now the PBL isn't running any teams I am told. If Jax really does have issues (which I don't know if this has been confirmed yet or not) and the league steps in to keep things going, that's a good sign as it shows they have a plan to deal with the inevitable underperformers. We can debate whether the plan is strong enough on the front end (eg, why were they let in to begin with if they couldn't hang?), but this is all supposition because we (at least I) don't know the facts. Jax did seem to be one of the stronger teams last year in the ABA. I still wonder if this is really about money.

As far as the red flags, they seem to permeate minor league ball these days. How the leagues manage them is where the rubber meets the road. It would bed a shame if Jax turned out to be the equivalent of a Corning/Elmira, but if true, hopefully the difference is in the bail out plan that preserves the league schedule in the short term and put together a plan for continuing team operations long term if possible.

TEN
01-17-2008, 08:08 AM
One thing to keep in mind....All of these teams were lured to the ABA and thought they had enough money to do it right are now finding out how much money it takes to really do it right. Playing in the ABA didn't provide them a clue about how much it takes to do it right.

Sam Hill
01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
so now we are two weeks in the season and the League office is running two franchises. Not a good sign. Also Rockford and Quad Cities are drawing flies. The Razor Sharks are not drawing as expected. Those are red flags. How is Reading drawing?

Such is minor-league basketball.

Nobody ever said it wasn't going to be semi-tough.

When the league CEO goes on an online rant against the nebulous forces that are conspiring to keep his league marginalized, THEN that'll be a REALLY big red flag.

DazedAndAmused
01-17-2008, 10:01 AM
As far as I can tell, Jax is still in and the league doesn't have to do anything to assist. I'm sure the chatter on this board has caught someone's eye, causing an inquiry for sure. A team losing money should be a surprise to no one. Almost all teams in all minor leagues (PBL, CBA, Dleague, ABA, IBL) lose money. If Jax doesn't have any more to lose or simply chooses not to drop more $ in for whatever reason, then we'll see the league's contigency plan to keep Jax alive for the season. I still don't see indication that there is crisis yet.