PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Showcase

Pounder
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/story/264970.html

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/01/14/bmurphy/day_1_living_at_the_d_league_showcase ...one of the cool things about the layout in the arena is that all the media ('cept the TV and radio broadcasts) are on the concourse, which is inside the arena, not outside, so I could stand behind Brian Murphy and watch him contemplate typing into that blog. Too bad I'm not a schmoozer. Get a kick out of Norm Nixon doing color for the TV broadcast wearing jeans and looking so casual and, well, earthy.

I only made Dakota v Iowa last night. Thought Curry was fun to watch, except noting the perplexing sidelight of his ballhandling. I too was too mesmerized by Curry to notice Maurice Baker's performance... but let's also face the fact that Iowa was defensively naive.

Frankly, I get the later three games today... and that might be it. I was supposed to take Thursday off, but I'm not sure I'll get that luxury now.

jjbballfan
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
I watched the Iowa game on WebTV and even though Iowa lost I was more impressed with them, they beat everybody off the dribble there problem was they seemed to get jump shot happy and they weren't to good at that.... Jackie Manuel impressed me on the offensive end of the court, I'm a tarheel fan and when he was in college the guy couldn't dribble or shoot and he did both last night.... I think if Iowa could learn how to shoot free-throws they would be a team to watch out for but until they do that they are going to have some work cut out for them....

DakotaWiz
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm not quite sure how you could be more impressed with Iowa, but to each his own.. Had Iowa made all of their FT's, they would have won by 2, and for any team to make 29-29, they would have to be good. JamesOn impressed everyone, but that was the 4th time I've watched him play this year. He hasn't been so good every game. On Friday night in Dakota, he shot 3-17 for 6 points with 4 assists and 2 TO's. If his jumper isn't falling, he's not going to have a good night because he can't/won't drive to the basket.. During the last 3 games (this assignment), he's shot 0-4 FT's. The game was good however.. I wonder if Dwayne Mitchell and Mo Baker have a shot at a call-up.. both have been impressive.

jjbballfan
01-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not quite sure how you could be more impressed with Iowa, but to each his own.. Had Iowa made all of their FT's, they would have won by 2, and for any team to make 29-29, they would have to be good. JamesOn impressed everyone, but that was the 4th time I've watched him play this year. He hasn't been so good every game. On Friday night in Dakota, he shot 3-17 for 6 points with 4 assists and 2 TO's. If his jumper isn't falling, he's not going to have a good night because he can't/won't drive to the basket.. During the last 3 games (this assignment), he's shot 0-4 FT's. The game was good however.. I wonder if Dwayne Mitchell and Mo Baker have a shot at a call-up.. both have been impressive.

Most of it was expectations and I had bigger expectations for Dakota and lesser for Iowa.....

Pounder
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Curry did make a few drives to the hoop, but the stingers were two fast breaks where he decides to pull up before he has the ball in control to do it. Just embarrassing.

I'm getting called into a meeting at about the time I should be leaving to get to the arena. Let's hope I'm not too surly to watch later on.

Pounder
01-15-2008, 01:29 PM
http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/01/15/bmurphy/day_2_living_at_the_d_league_showcase

If you can't watch the games, all the fruity stuff will end up here.

I thought I saw Sean Rooks last night.

Oh, schoolkids!

ChumpDumper
01-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh, schoolkids!

Only 1000 kids? They could probably have brought in all the elementary kids in the area over the four days.

Pounder
01-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Since they're selling day passes rather than game tickets, they have to limit how many kids they haul in.

Tuesday night was the biggest weekday crowd I'd seen in a while. Of course, duh... but it should be noted that the media kind of carried the town into this event, not the Stampede themselves.

Pounder
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I want to highlight this quote from the 2nd day blog.

They've been through a lot. I feel for them. I'm a product of this league. I know you can get head down very quickly. This is a league for men. I believe this is the toughest league in the world, tougher than the NBA, tougher than Europe. There are a lot of things that go on in this league, a lot of travel issues, just a lot of things. You have to be really mentally tough to play in this league.

Two things come to mind...

1- I wholeheartedly believe that. When comparing minor pro leagues, even D-League has a sort-of fly-by-night quality.

2- I hear many in England say that the Championship- the second level in England- is tougher on players than the Premiership. Players fight like hell to get promoted or, well, get a promotion. This sounds similar.

Obviously, the Showcase brings out another level in these guys... but it can be entertaining. I've lost my stamina for this, however. This freaking "getting old" thing can be annoying.

One more thing... I feel cheap by wanting to sneak down- without being obtrusive- and listen in on what seems to be a continuous conversation held in one corner, generally populated by Bernie Bickerstaff and a couple lads whose faces I really think I should know, but can't place names with them.

jjbballfan
01-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm going to agree that this league is or at least is close to the toughest league there is if you factor everything in.... The competition may not be the toughest but you do have to put up with all of this..

1. small pay... players don't get paid much I think its between 18-25 plus living
2. fly coach.... you fly coach, not first class, not private jet,
3. travel issues.... The Dleague is spread out pretty far...
4. schedule.... The schedule though it has improved from last year still has quite a few middle of the week games....
5. the whole minor league issue, its one step from unemployed and one step from the bigs.....

DakotaWiz
01-17-2008, 12:38 AM
It's a tough league, but there are easier leagues that won't get you what you want. The guys in the D-League want it. The bottom salary is around 13 or 14000 plus housing and per diem when on the road.. The majority of us could make that entry level most places without having to work out and play hard every day. Bottom line, it is a tough league, but they could have it worse and with less opportunity if they wanted...

Pounder
01-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh, gracious. http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/267427.html

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/01/16/bmurphy/day_3_living_at_the_d_league_showcase#comment

Pounder
01-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I posted the Day 3 blog in the last one. The Day 4 blog is, of course, periodically updated until Mr. Murphy is allowed to breathe again. Of course, it's cold enough that even breathing is unlikely.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2008/01/17/bmurphy/day_4_living_at_the_d_league_showcase