PDA

View Full Version : Fiba

one way
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Spoke to two players on two different PBL teams concerning their FIBA regulations and overseas opportunities. Both players stated that they were free to leave and that they were looking. No FIBA restrictions or regulations. Based on that info, I will have to say that the PBL is not part of FIBA (just like I said all summer).

bdaly
01-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Both players stated that they were free to leave and that they were looking.
Seems to conflict with what is said here:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008801120312

"This is the final product. No one can take players away from us, like they can in other minor league systems," Hrywnak said.

preeths
01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Spoke to two players on two different PBL teams concerning their FIBA regulations and overseas opportunities. Both players stated that they were free to leave and that they were looking. No FIBA restrictions or regulations. Based on that info, I will have to say that the PBL is not part of FIBA (just like I said all summer).

I'm not sure what the exact deal is, but the players truthfully may not know exactly how the system works.

death watch
01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
If a legal binding contract was signed between a player and team that stated that they can not leave and play for any other team.........

Then regardless of the PBL being in FIBA or not, a judge in a court of law could rule that the player must play for the team under contract or not play any where.

preeths
01-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe I'm just not seeing it, and I don't disagree with your second post necessarily, but what does that have to do with FIBA and the PBL? Isn't that a separate issue or am I missing something?

DazedAndAmused
01-13-2008, 10:32 PM
There is a good question here though. What does FIBA affiliation actually mean in this case? They (the PBL) sent a team to the FIBA tournament, but they don't fully play by all of the FIBA rules during the season. Are there different levels of affiliation? Honestly, there are alot of basketball brains on this board (in addition to the boneheads). We should be able to get an intelligent answer. Maybe someone could even write the league if they really want to know????

preeths
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm presuming you're just as capable as anyone else.

DazedAndAmused
01-14-2008, 09:19 AM
certainly....although my comments were meant a bit rhetorical for these types of questions and threads in general. point being, we don't always have to guess at these answers. i believe that the leagues will answer.