PDA

View Full Version : Razorsharks Win Home Opener

Tar10FINatic
01-12-2008, 06:36 PM
The Rochester Razorsharks beat the Reading Railers 115-108 in a close game which saw each side up by as much as 15 points. It was hard fought and fun to watch. The Razorsharks are not as good as last years team but they don't give up. I think the PBL will have much parity especially in its Eastern Division.

Both teams played aggressive defense and sometimes ball handling was not that good. There were some great 3-point shoots out there today on both benches,,,specifically Ira Miller (Reading) and Kieth Friel (Rochester who has over 1000 points as a Razorshark).

The crowd was fairly light and attendance was unannounced. There was plenty og media coverage on hand. I saw Bob Matthews for the D&C and WHTK-1280 (the local sports only station). The game was broadcast on WHTK. I saw the game being videotaped but wasn't sure by whom.

The game operations table was fully staffed and there were interns everywhere. I saw stats printed out and handed to the media right after the game.

On another note, when a Reading player was injured he was attended to by both trainers and local team doctors. James "Mook" Reaves (Niagara U) was also injured in the 1st period and never returned to action. I noticed they had iced what looked to be his ankle.

Forgive the way this report is written. It's obvious that I am just a fan and not a reporter.

blanketman
01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Great game,i was there.i was with the manager of smg,jeff Caukins. The exact attendance was 856 people.

psbf
01-12-2008, 08:01 PM
856 in Rochester? Their press release said 3,018.

blanketman
01-12-2008, 09:23 PM
well, they lied. i love the team ,however, the actual total was 856.

Minor League Man
01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
That has GOT to be the lowest attendance total in Razorsharks history.

Never thought they'd have to lie about their attendance figures...How are you so sure, blanketman (What's your source?)

SignGuyDino
01-12-2008, 10:10 PM
No fights?

tbayz1
01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
856, is that even possible in Rochester?

psbf
01-12-2008, 10:48 PM
The Razorsharks had never lied about their attendence before, why would they start now?

blanketman
01-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Listen, who cares, they won the game. But that was the attendance,if you dont believe me call Jeff yourself.

rams80
01-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Trying to score better dates in the future for the Raiders by badmouthing the Razorsharks? What's next? Are you going to start slamming the Amerks?

bdaly
01-13-2008, 01:24 AM
I did a quick count of the opposite side to where I was sitting early on, and I'm inclined to believe this isn't accurate (the truth probably lies in the middle of this and the paid/distributed number). I was a little disappointed in the crowd, though. But, with the Amerks Friday, Razorsharks and Knighthawks Saturday, and Razorsharks and Amerks Sunday, it's been a busy weekend at the arena, and there's plenty of sports elsewhere. So these first two home games will probably be most challenging.

Great game, though. Reading shot the ball pretty well, especially from outside. It was a game that could have went either way. Rochester struggled a bit at the line, and I was afraid that would sink them. These types of games will get people in Rochester to take the Razorsharks and the league they're in seriously. It's much different than what we saw when Newark or Montreal would roll in with six guys...

TheStandard
01-13-2008, 01:57 AM
tickets sold 3018
turnstile 856

Hey how many of us were checking to see if the Patriots were going to lose a playoff game?

That can really be an X factor especially that the Patriots are only 2 games away from becoming 19-0 and walking away with the Super Bowl.

Tar10FINatic
01-13-2008, 06:10 AM
I'm just a working schmuck and happen to be primarily an Amerks, Razorsharks and Red Wings fan. Yes, the attendance was poor but I agree with the previous posts. All the teams in Rochester post the paid attendance.

Besides the Razorsharks game there were the obvious reasons for the low numbers onsite (NFL) and for us locals there was the JP Morgan-Chase Tournament.

Later that evening, I went to the Palestra at the University of Rochester and saw both the UR mens and womens teams win their finals. The place only holds about 1150 and was packed. Great Division III action. All the local schools that participate bring their "A" game to be "King of the Hill". For the UR teams it is a good tune up before they start conference play.

bdaly
01-13-2008, 10:20 AM
The paper estimated the turnstile at ~1,500, which I'd guess is pretty accurate. So, disappointing, but not as bleak as 856, and there are some fair "excuses." Anyway, you can read that and more about the game here:

http://www.rochesterdandc.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080113/SPORTS/801130312/1007/SPORTS

TEN
01-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm afraid the fans aren't going to be so forgiving and just forget the Razorsharks ABA experience. The Oklahoma team in the USBL still hears from pissed off fans about how they moved half of their schedule from Enid to Oklahoma City when Kareem was the coach in 2002.

No matter what anyone says...the Razorsharks took a MAJOR credibility hit in the ABA. Your ABA shills can say all they want about how the fans don't care if you play in a trainwreck league as long as you provide "fan friendly, affordable...BS..." They are wrong....but one thing that is right...A lot of your fans don't know the difference between ABA and PBL and probably think that you are just going to screw them again.

I think that Rochester is a prime example of a league killing a solid franchise (the same thing is happening right now with the midwest USBL teams in Dodge City, Kansas and Oklahoma....good franchises...decent fan base...no place to play)

bdaly
01-13-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm afraid the fans aren't going to be so forgiving and just forget the Razorsharks ABA experience. The Oklahoma team in the USBL still hears from pissed off fans about how they moved half of their schedule from Enid to Oklahoma City when Kareem was the coach in 2002.

No matter what anyone says...the Razorsharks took a MAJOR credibility hit in the ABA. Your ABA shills can say all they want about how the fans don't care if you play in a trainwreck league as long as you provide "fan friendly, affordable...BS..." They are wrong....but one thing that is right...A lot of your fans don't know the difference between ABA and PBL and probably think that you are just going to screw them again.

To be frank, the "ABA experience" wasn't that bad. That's only because the Razorsharks made darn sure a team showed up each game. The other big issue was when teams would show up with six or seven guys (Newark, Montreal, etc). The playoffs last year with their opponent canceling (due to legit travel issues) and then the league putting on the powerplay in an effort to force them to change venues (or forfeit) may have. But the ABA's issues were well publicized in Rochester and the media has long said that the organization is a solid one, one that's well above that league. The fact they're out of that league has been well publicized.

IMO, the Razorsharks have their base of 1,000 hardcore basketball fans and beyond that they do well with families. Those families really are more concerned about a fun day out. I think they've been missing a segment of the hardcore basketball base that will now take them more seriously as this league proves itself. That's where they become more viable. The Razorsharks always averaged 3-4K, but they have their paid crowds of 2K and they balance them out with big promotions (concerts as an example). Building a more steady base should probably be their next focus now that they're in a league that delivers. They can become less dependent on gimmicks.

bdaly
01-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Here's a local TV station's segment on the Razorsharks being in a new league that's pertinent here:

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=57294&rnews_story_type=18&category=10

The story also notes that their season ticket base is 1,500. Here's an interesting portion:

The RazorSharks are also trying something new. Fed up with how the American Basketball Association was run, the team left the league and joined the Premier Basketball League.

"The stability of it, the credibility of it, and the organization of it . I could on and on about how it’s so much better, said RazorSharks Owner and General Manager Orest Hrywnak.

"I don't have to pace up down my office trying to figure out what the league office is doing from day to day."

For the RazorSharks, a new league also means tougher competition. Just three games into the season the team already has one loss. Hrywnak say that may not be such a bad thing.

"That’s what’s great about this league. There’s going to be competition. We were trying to figure out when was the last time we lost and that was back in March."

DazedAndAmused
01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
bdaly, if all you can do is reference the newspaper article, then you have no business posting here. maybe if your sources were as good as deathwatch's friend of friend who attended the game, then we might take you seriously.