PDA

View Full Version : Team Marketing Thread (PBL)

bdaly
01-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Since people seem concerned about marketing--and rightly so given attendance throughout minor league basketball--I thought this would be a good place to post two of the Razorsharks' ads:

http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8303
http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8299

They appear to be moving toward boosting awareness I'd say, although they are promoting their "owner" campaign/season tickets too. On their website, you can see that they're giving away something pretty much every game.

It's really their best marketing effort yet. So it should bode well for attendance, particularly because the schedule is dominated with weekend games. They may reign in discounts though with these promos, though.

There seem to be fans from other cities too, so this may be a good place to concentrate these types of discussions. Some teams seem fairly innovative, and maybe a couple others can learn from what they're doing. ;)

bdaly
01-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Looks like the Riverhawks are getting a little more serious about marketing:

Riverhawks name GM

Eric Hutchins is no stranger to the Quad-Cities sports market.

He helped the Mallards and Steamwheelers take off in their infancy, and now he’ll try to do the same with the Riverhawks.

Hutchins has been named general manager of the second-year Premier Basketball League franchise, owner Tom McGinn confirmed Sunday.

“It lacks a lot right now,” Hutchins said after taking in the Riverhawks 128-120 win against Chicago. “Is there potential here? Absolutely, we’re 3-0. People want to come out and see winning basketball.”

So far, the people aren’t coming. The team drew 125 to its opener and about 200 Sunday.

That’s where Hutchins comes in.

He was an intern with the Mallards in their heyday and director of ticket operations and marketing for the Steamwheelers when the franchise was at its peak. He has been out of sports since 2001, but he hopes to bring some of the magic back to Wharton Field House.

“We’re a family organization,” Hutchins said. “We’re going to gear toward the families. That’s what I plan on doing.”

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008/01/14/sports/basketball/doc478b0a200c6f6407781867.txt

LightningMan
01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Wilmington did radio advertising ahead of Saturday's game promoting the kid's half price night and they had a nice crowd.

They did some PR things throughout the summer to drum up interest as well.

death watch
01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
How is Willmington drawing on attendance this season? I know they were around 700 a game in the ABA which is pretty decent.

LightningMan
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I can't find any attendance numbers on line and I am really bad at estimating. But as I said in another post, there were more people Saturday (easily) than were at the Sea Dawgs' two ABA playoff games. So if they averaged 700 per last year, it was considerably more than that Saturday. And from what someone said in my thread about Saturday's game, there were even more the previous week (opening weekend).

DazedAndAmused
01-14-2008, 06:25 PM
I am trying to assemble informal attendance stats for the PBL's first two weeks just for grins. Mostly I am using what is reported in the newspapers, along with a few other sources. In the case of Wilmington, I was told the first game was around 1200 and around 1400 in the second (their venue holds 2200), but it was acknowledged that there were some "freebies" and corporate tickets in there. I guess that's not unusual. I have someone who has promised to send some pics of the games. If I get them, I will try to post them.

Tar10FINatic
01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Promo tickets are usually the norm for many new teams and also some established franchises. Before the Rochester Red Wings (AAA-Twins) moved to their home at Frontier Field, you could always get a corporate freebie GA ticket for a game at Silver Stadium. I went to 40-45 games a year back then and probably paid for 5.

The Razorsharks are advertising on Radio/TV/Newspapers which we all know isn't cheap. The fans will be back. I do hope that the PBL has a longer season next year and grows by a few more quality franchises with some Canadian teams and perhaps Vermont. (if they get a regulation court)

We all know the good thing about the PBL. The schedule is being executed. There haven't been any fights or bad sportsmanship from coaches. The refs are being refs....some good, some not so good and not holed up in the Far East. The focus of the PBL IMO is on the GAME! Am I right on this?

LightningMan
01-17-2008, 09:26 AM
We all know the good thing about the PBL. The schedule is being executed. There haven't been any fights or bad sportsmanship from coaches. The refs are being refs....some good, some not so good and not holed up in the Far East. The focus of the PBL IMO is on the GAME! Am I right on this?
Yes. I still check on the ABA because it's such an entertaining trainwreck, but it is nice from a pure practicality standpoint that so far (the possible Jacksonville situation notwithstanding) the PBL has been about basketball.

DazedAndAmused
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm still not convinced the Jax situation goes too far beyond these boards yet, even though I suspect that there is at least a burning ember associated with the smoke. I'm just not sure there is a real fire or if there is/was, it has been or will be cooled.

Sam Hill
01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
So far, the people aren’t coming. The team drew 125 to its opener and about 200 Sunday.

They're hosed. Too late now.