PDA

View Full Version : PBL Opening Weekend: Day 3

tbayz1
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Arkansas at Chicago Arkansas wins 114-103, just checked the PBL site, that was the quickest submited score all weekend
Maryland at Reading
Rochester at Wilmington

Any game updates, scores, pics, attendence from anyone?

tbayz1
01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Reading 145
Maryland 121

Minor League Man
01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Wow...the PBL is getting better with their website

Now it's time for the Game of the Weekend...hope we can get results soon!

bdaly
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Wilmington beat Rochester 83-81 in another nailbiter. Home teams rebounded a bit today to go 2-1.

Minor League Man
01-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Wilmington beat Rochester 83-81 in another nailbiter. Home teams rebounded a bit today to go 2-1.
So Wilmington has the best record in the PBL right now at 2-0?

Cool...can't wait 'till next weekend!

bdaly
01-06-2008, 09:40 PM
So Wilmington has the best record in the PBL right now at 2-0?

Cool...can't wait 'till next weekend!
Yes, they won two close ones. It's a pretty impressive start for them. Tough to pick favorites at this point, but they look very formidable. Here's a little more on the game:

Sea Dawgs Down RazorSharks (http://www.rnews.com/Sports/Story_2004.cfm?ID=57080&rnews_story_type=68)
by John DiTullio
Published Jan 06, 2008

The Rochester RazorSharks lost 83-81 on the road in Wilmington, North Carolina versus the Sea Dawgs.

Sammy Monroe led Rochester with 15 points, Keith Friel added 14 points and Greece Oympia's Demond Steward scored 10.

The RazorSharks home opener is Saturday, January 12th versus Reading at the Blue Cross Arena. Game time is 2:05.

Definitely a good weekend on the court. Four of seven games were decided by three points or less. As someone who got used to the antics of the other league, road teams winning games (meaning they bring players), parity, and everyone playing their games is a huge step up, even with the website issues they had. You have to walk before you can run, and from what those of us were used to who followed teams when they were in the other league, it's still a great step forward. Get the web issues straightened out, and it'll be a vastly superior experience all around if they can keep this up on the court.

Edit: Click here (http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3577248) for the R-Sharks release on OSC. The R-Sharks must be kicking themselves for that overthrown inbound pass. Ouch.

DazedAndAmused
01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
Pro's:
-all games played
-all games played in climate controlled venues
-all teams bringing 10 to 12 dressed players
-all teams tallying and providing complete statisics
-very positive press in PBL towns
-league organized/provided travel
-league provided uniforms
-several close, exciting games

Neutral:
-Attendance AVERAGE 800 to 1000/game (based on totals from Maryland, Quad Cities, Jacksonville, and Wilmington..others pending)

Cons:
-lagging web updates and presence by league
-behind on game streaming
-behind on internet radio
(supposedly all of the above are related to an overall "IT delay" of some sort that the league says will be corrected shortly)
-lack of uniform web sites

Things nobody cares about:
-matching socks

not so fast
01-07-2008, 02:53 AM
all and all, it was a successful weekend for the PBL. I think two goals is important for them, getting better players and better coaches. in other words trying to upgrade. But for now, it is up and running.

If it can stay stable this season, there are lots of possibilties for next season.

They should try to get kenny smith at a game or two. That would be huge.

psbf
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
any numbers on the crowd in Wilmington? I would guess it had to be a good turnout with Rochester visiting.

DazedAndAmused
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
..reportedly "around 1200" in a venue thats holds 2k or so. But, I don't know how many were ticket sales vs freebies, etc. Apparently it was a very loud crowd that impacted the end of the game. My guess is that the fact that it was Rochester had little effect on attendance. It's only us junkies that keep up with who we believe the "top" teams may be at this point. My source says it was a "very positve fan experience, even better than last year," but an exciting game will do that.

Local news write up.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20080107/NEWS/801070360/1005/NEWS

psbf
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
really care about the difference between paid and 'freebies'. The overall is what I look for. 1,200. Thanks. The Seahawks have been one of the stronger teams in turms of attendence. Good to see it continue.

Minor League Man
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
The one negative in funds I did notice:

The Arkansas Impact's jerseys (see chicagothrowbacks.com for more info) look VERY ABAish...No markings except the name and number...

DazedAndAmused
01-07-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with MLM based on the photos I have seen in that they are a little on the bland side, particularly the front top. But, I think it may be more an issue of "design" rather than funds.

Didn't the league provide all of these uniforms to teams (IOW, "free" to the teams) in effort to maintain some consistency and standard? If so, that was probably smart though you hate to sacrifice a sharp design (for those that had it) for the sake of standardization. Now if they would standardize their websites.

a1sports
01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Good catch on the uniforms !! I called Arkansas and those were not there uniforms ! The league made those in Chicago for Arkansas to use becuase the real Arkansas uniforms were shipped to the wrong address in Arkansas, so they are suppose to get the real informs Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Looks like Doyle Gave the teams the GREEN light to talk..becuase just a week ago it was, "get back to us" after the season starts when I called.

Now they yak it up !!

TheStandard
01-07-2008, 04:20 PM
At least the PBL had a plan B.

Also all the uni's are bought by the PBL which is GREAT.

Thats how the BSN has been doing it for the last 20 years and now with a big name in Jordan its going to be even better.

Im Glad that the PBL is admitting their faults in week one. Also that they have a back up plan for uniforms.

I have to gripe about this.

Whats with the PBL balls? are they doing this NCAA Style where you can use whatever ball you have as long as its NCAA Approved?

I have seen the Wilson, The Rock (Love that Ball), The Molten FIBA Ball(A Ball that proves if you are real shooter) and a Rawlings.

Lets have some parity on this because going from ball to ball is crazy.

Trust me there is a day and night between using all of these three balls.

DazedAndAmused
01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Supposedly they are using The Rock (my fav too.) But, I don't know why they weren't used at all venues opening weekend.

TheStandard
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I loved the Jet because the handle was so great.

I love the FIBA Ball because thats what i learned how to play with and master it. It also doesnt lie to you on how good your shot is. If you can handle that ball you can handle anything.

The Rock is the best. All colleges and pro leagues should use the Rock. Best handling ball i've felt. The Jet is now a distant second. It also has the feel of the fiba ball but the seams are bigger good for that handle on a dunk or layup.