PDA

View Full Version : PBL...some stats lots of $$$$ ?

a1sports
01-06-2008, 01:04 PM
So the stats have been spordic and they claim there is a computer clich that will be fixed Monday but on the other hand, when was the last time minor league basketball teams travel to a game in Limos ( chicago to Rockford) and get taken to the venue from the airport ( arkansas - chicago). This cant be cheap. Got to spend the $$$$ where it counts> good stats program to start with.

A call to the Attack athletic center this Sunday morning where Chicago plays has the Arkansas teram already in and waiting to do some shoot arounds after the NY knicks finish.

By 7 pm, The PBL will have played 100% of its scheduled games opening week-end, have traveled by air or LIMO (?), have given players per diem money and have housed the visiting team and refs. A compliment..NO, just the way it shoud be in pro-ball !!!

preeths
01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I know most if not all the PBL games had stats taken. We received several boxes that were also cc'd to the league office. Also heard that the stats program didn't mesh with the web interface, but they thought it should be working early this week.

QC_Hawks_fan
01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Went to the game and must say it was fun, (Rockford 134 Chicago 136)Rockford down by 21 in the first have and end up pushing it to a double overtime. The official should have called a foul for Rockford on a drive to the basket at the end of the game, from my position (of course we fans will always have the best view of every play).

Rockford College is a good size to start out at, it's better to have 500 at a place that seats a 1000, screaming, chanting, cheering than 500 at a 10,000 seat arena.
The play was fast, I don't know how Chicago kept running that hard in the first half, but it was evident that they ran out of steam in the second half.

Very physical play but the refs kept the game under control, 5 T's called, unsporting words to delay of game, they kept control on the court.

Stats: three people were assigned to stats, one with a laptop and two with paper and they were busy, i don't think the laptop guy even had time to look up, he was being bombarded with info from the two other guys.

I did notice a stretch Ford Expedition limo outside after the game.

Chicago can run and shoot but lack a half court game.

It should be a good season for the three Illinois teams. I can say that the family and I will be at several more games.

turbocamyes
01-08-2008, 08:04 AM
This may have been posted elsewhere, but Joctrac has the PBL teams listed, however, the schedules haven't been loaded.

TR Waters
01-08-2008, 06:28 PM
A total of 9 teams played a total of 8 games over a total of 3 days? WOW..........thats got me excited.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Thats 100%...... right? Even thought I do remember something about a postponement and venue change. But who's keeping track of little things like that?

bdaly
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
A total of 9 teams played a total of 8 games over a total of 3 days? WOW..........thats got me excited.
Actually, ten teams, but who's keeping track? ;) But, yes, the season is quite young.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Thats 100%...... right? Even thought I do remember something about a postponement and venue change. But who's keeping track of little things like that?
Actually, the team changed, which plays in a different venue. So, it was just a schedule change. A schedule change that didn't impact a single fan, as the planned team never started up. It shows a kink, but one they resolved before the season even started.

a1sports
01-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Lets see...

Vermont has 82% of a regulation floor or Vermont plays in a league that is 3% of a real pro league. ( the 3% is because they use a basketball)

just remember when Vermont played on a regulation floor in Rochester last year they lost big.

preeths
01-08-2008, 11:50 PM

And what does get you "excited?" Cancellations?

turbocamyes
01-09-2008, 08:23 AM
So far I have stats from 7 out of the 8 games, which is not bad. Iím only missing the Arkansas vs. Chicago game.

By comparison:

CBA: 88 out of 90 games (through 12/31)
D-League: 100 out of 101 games (through 01/03)
ABA: 79 out of 148 games
Some notes on the ABA: Iíve included non-league games in the count, and out of the 79 boxscores, only 45 have both teams listedóthe other 34 are stats from one team.

TheStandard
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
well theres someone that has to be ABAish in the group

rams80
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Can the ABA even claim to pull off that many games in a set time frame nowadays?

DazedAndAmused
01-09-2008, 12:55 PM
supposedly the league will be putting up all stats from all games starting monday. (it says that on their website.) as of right now today, i guess the teams have to post their own box scores with their own systems, but another poster pointed out that they may be going to joc trac. either way, this is easiest and best done (IMO) if the league manages and provides a central web portal and template for its teams (like the CBA started doing and like the dleague does.) no sense in double data entry or inconsistency.

Sam Hill
01-10-2008, 01:10 PM

I have no doubt the PBL will have some screwups, probably fairly soon. It's inevitable in a new minor league.

Now, if they keep making the same mistakes over and over again and denying them and then yelling at people who bring up said mistakes, and do that for seven years, they'll be close to the ABA.

DazedAndAmused
01-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I have no doubt the PBL will have some screwups, probably fairly soon. It's inevitable in a new minor league.

Now, if they keep making the same mistakes over and over again and denying them and then yelling at people who bring up said mistakes, and do that for seven years, they'll be close to the ABA.

I think even more accurately, s%@t happens sometimes in minor league basketball, even in the upper echilon leagues. How you handle it during the season is what separates the "good" leagues from "bad." We should expect small amounts of turnover in the off season to weed out problems. We should also expect that problems may come up in mid season, but that the league should have a contingency plan to deal with them and get the games played. The CBA does a relatively good job at this. So far, the PBL has too for the most part (eg, Minnesota never made it on the schedule, Chicago games are on.) Until somebody finds the formula to only have golden franchises in their league (note NOBODY has), crisis management is in fact part of league management.

TR Waters
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
I think even more accurately, s%@t happens sometimes in minor league basketball, even in the upper echilon leagues. How you handle it during the season is what separates the "good" leagues from "bad." We should expect small amounts of turnover in the off season to weed out problems. We should also expect that problems may come up in mid season, but that the league should have a contingency plan to deal with them and get the games played. The CBA does a relatively good job at this. So far, the PBL has too for the most part (eg, Minnesota never made it on the schedule, Chicago games are on.) Until somebody finds the formula to only have golden franchises in their league (note NOBODY has), crisis management is in fact part of league management.

You are ( using the current OSC approved method of terminoligy) 100% correct.
My very point of posting above. There are NO golden franchises. Not even the golden godchild of so many of the outstanding OSC regulars, the PBL.

rams80
01-13-2008, 12:32 AM
You are ( using the current OSC approved method of terminoligy) 100% correct.
My very point of posting above. There are NO golden franchises. Not even the golden godchild of so many of the outstanding OSC regulars, the PBL.

Even if the PBL is merely bronze-colored, that's still better than the dung color of the ABA.

DazedAndAmused
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
TR, I think that you and I are agreeing that this is a tough business for all of the minor leagues.

I also agree with some of your posts that the ABA gets slammed for the sake of it by many posters. I don't think that's always fair, but it is indicative of the overall perception of the league right now. Hopefully that can turn around, but it won't happen over night.

I actually am inclined to want to come here and back you up when some of the "crazy" things are posted. But, you lose me a little when you bring up other leagues....eg, the PBL as the "golden child." (This actually makes me believe you are Joe Newman or a league official just based on the prior official league PRs, not that it is important.)

I see the PBL getting its due props and criticism for a league that has only been playing for 2 weeks. But, you have to admit a couple of things about this rival league...they are playing their games, their detailed stats are getting posted league-wide, and they are managing the media fairly well. These are things the ABA is not getting done league wide (although they may be in a few select markets), for whatever reasons that I will not criticize.

Now, I believe the ABA can get some of the same things done, but it has to do it by putting the focus internally and not worrying about other leagues. I'm just a regular Joe (no pun intended), but I will become a regular defender of the league if some positive steps are taken in this regard.