a1sports
01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Info comming on:

Jacksonville at Reading
Wilmington at Maryland
Chicago at Rockford

preeths
01-05-2008, 01:54 PM
We've also been promised more timely final scores tonight. Check the main section of OSC not long after the games finish.

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 01:57 PM
i want pictures.

A1 do you know what kind of ball are they using and whats their new brand of basketball or rules or whatever it is?

a1sports
01-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Good question. I thought it was suppose to be adidas. Will find out tonight !

tbayz1
01-05-2008, 02:15 PM
In all the Jacksonville photos/videos they are Wilson and in Reading's main photo on their site they are Wilson balls

Wilson makes a nice ball, I like playing with them, never really heard of Addidas making a basketball

It would be nice though if the PBL had an official sponsor or sponsors for balls, socks, shoes, all that good stuff

x2 on pictures too, everyone likes to see pics of games ;)

SignGuyDino
01-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Even And1 makes a basketball even though I frankly wouldn't use it.

I find it astonishing that there is NO reference to any of the "new rules" anywhere, nothing in stories, nothing on the website, etc.

And where's "The Jet?"

a1sports
01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Half time: Chicago 68 Rockford 55

Final: Wilmington over Maryland

Final: Jacksonville 104 Reading 101

a1sports
01-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Wilmington 92 Maryland 89 Final

misenern
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Why aren't these stats on the PBL web site? If a random Joe Schmo can post them on a message board, why aren't they on the official site? It's inexcusable, a web site should be the first source fans can turn to for information on their product, and so far, it's not. How can they expect to keep and attract fans when you can't get something as simple as scores from their website? This is a basketball league, why canít I follow the basketball?

Shades of the ABA, not good.

bdaly
01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Good to see the parity tonight in the scores. Wilmington got their release out there promptly:

The Wilmington Sea Dawgs started off their second season on the road tonight by defeating the Maryland Nighthawks by a score of 92 to 89 . There were many lead changes throughout the game. Cedric McGinnis led the team with 27 points. Charles Ward scored 16 points. Alvin Jefferson helped the team with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Tre' Whitted scored three, three point baskets in the fourth quarter to help secure the win.

The Sea Dawgs will now travel home for a Sunday match-up against the Rochester Razorsharks. Tip-off is at 5:00 p.m. Hope to see you there!

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
No Mention of the Ball allthough I saw pictures of Rock River playing in an exibition game with the FIBA Ball.

Then I see the Wilson ball like the CBA has

I mean damn cant they say what ball they are using like other leagues do in their website.

Oh and no stats no box score damn this is ABAish.

Well go figure they go to the FIBA Americas league and no DAMN MENTION Besides from FIBA and Myself.

ABAish

a1sports
01-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Rochester web site has stats up.......

razorsharks.com

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Rochester web site has stats up.......

razorsharks.com

THEY HAVE DONE WHAT 99% OF THE ABA have not done. Put up real stats.

league still ABAish

tbayz1
01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Any reported attendence in Reading/MD/Rockford yet?

Pics? ;)

a1sports
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
spoke to Reading Railers stats guy.....

Said that the league stats system to upload to PBL web site isnt working for any of the teams and will be fixed on Monday.

Said his guess is about 1,500 at Reading game

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 10:47 PM
spoke to Reading Railers stats guy.....

Said that the league stats system to upload to PBL web site isnt working for any of the teams and will be fixed on Monday.

Said his guess is about 1,500 at Reading game

At least a minor league basketball team in the State of Pennsylvania drew a crowd of over 50

radiodavel
01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Chicago 136 Rockford 132 Double overtime....replay will be shown on Rockford cable tv...

bdaly
01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Chicago 136 Rockford 132 Double overtime....replay will be shown on Rockford cable tv...
Wow. Home teams went 0-3 in three nailbiters. Definitely like all the close games tonight. Good to see there's going to be pretty good parity.

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Well not only parity but it looks like the refs are not one sided at home team games either.

a1sports
01-06-2008, 06:18 AM
What, Home teams lost?

Chichester can help you out, especially if you have a team in Vermont or close to Vermont. ( plus 300 bucks in cash)

Chichester has an idea..if the rec league has 13th man as a guest player, the PBL should have a 4th guest ref on the floor. He could do it, just fly him in. OR if you cant fly him in, just have him call in on the speaker phone during the game, guranteed home wins.

misenern
01-06-2008, 06:55 AM
And still no scores on the officail PBL website. I would have given them a pass on the first night, but this is getting ridiculous. Where are the "unique" rules, or any rules for that matter? Why didn't they find out if the stat package worked before the season? Fixed on Monday? I thought that having scores and stats up in a basketball league would have been important. That's just not good.

Thus far, the PBL is a step up from the ABA; they have played their games. However, I don't consider this a success by any means. If the start to the season is any indication, the PBL will be a failure. Just playing your games is not a measuring stick for success. Look at how real minor leagues operate. AHL, QMJHL, OHL, WHL. These leagues are well run; these leagues are what the PBL should attempt to achieve. They cannot be satisfied with 125 person crowds, no official ball, a broken website and no stats. It's just not good.

radiodavel
01-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Railers playing transition game
http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=75113

Sea Dawgs light up the Nighthawks
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3576894

Jam win on road 104-101
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3576968

Dallas Defenders set to start play thanks to entrepeneur
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2008/jan/04/dallas-defenders-set-start-play-thanks-entrepeneur/

Throwbacks squeak by Fury in first game
http://www.rrstar.com/sports/x1925655719

tbayz1
01-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Reading- 1,379 according to the papers

Rockford- 400 or so according to the papers, The Throwbacks have pics on their website of the game www.chicagothrowbacks.com

Maryland- ??

bdaly
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Rockford- 400 or so according to the papers, The Throwbacks have pics on their website of the game www.chicagothrowbacks.com

Rockford looks like McGinn's stronger side off the court. They appear to have some sponsors and the crowd looked pretty good, which obviously indicates the venue is small. But, that's not always a bad thing if you're trying to create atmosphere. It's safe to say the atmosphere was better for Rockford than Quad City. Glad to see Chicago is timely in their updates and they're a good team. Better than I was expecting considering how late they were added.

bdaly
01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
These leagues are well run; these leagues are what the PBL should attempt to achieve. They cannot be satisfied with 125 person crowds, no official ball, a broken website and no stats. It's just not good.

Agreed, but the AHL didn't start this year, so I'm willing to give them time. The website issues are extremely disappointing, but if they're going to be fixed come next week, it's hardly the end of the world. I personally couldn't care less about an official ball, and I'm pretty confident the average fan agrees. It would be nice, because they'd then be getting sponsor dollars, but otherwise, I suspect it won't be a topic of discussion at next week's R-Sharks games. (I'll let you know, the ABA ball never even came up in my experiences over the past two years.)

No doubt, they have work to do. I'd like to see most (if not all) teams legitimately averaging over 1,000. Gate crowds of 125 are embarassing and it's going to be a long road to profitability for any minor league teams in that boat. Unfortunately, that's a challenge that's all too common in minor league basketball. If the PBL proves it can play a full schedule and be dependable, getting new teams and investors will only get easier. They'll then be able to replace the weak links that might drop out after the season. Sadly, minor league basketball has received a black eye in countless cities thanks to what another league has been doing. (And, it really wasn't that successful before them.)

If the NBA has taken years to get the D-League to a halfway decent position at the gate (and things aren't perfect now), I guess I'm surprised that people expected perfection here.

preeths
01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Looks like a few folks in Chicago. Heard there was a good crowd in Maryland but haven't seen a number.

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-06-2008, 03:47 PM
If the NBA has taken years to get the D-League to a halfway decent position at the gate (and things aren't perfect now), I guess I'm surprised that people expected perfection here.

...and I'm surprised and amazed that teams and leagues still can't get a clue even with examples of what works and doesn't work at their fingertips. Besides, who says the D-League is (or will ever be) at a halfway decent position at the gate?

ChumpDumper
01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
...and I'm surprised and amazed that teams and leagues still can't get a clue even with examples of what works and doesn't work at their fingertips. Besides, who says the D-League is (or will ever be) at a halfway decent position at the gate?I guess it depends on your definition of halfway decent. The new franchises and ex-CBA squads seem to be doing ok, other teams are living off their sponsorship money with still others somewhere in between.

preeths
01-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Look, almost everybody is losing money in minor league basketball. "Halfway decent" is a relative term, and I'd say pretty accurate for some of the crowds in places like Iowa and Fort Wayne. Home crowds are often, though not always, your biggest of the season. Local events, even big TV sporting events, can affect opening night crowds.

Q Jordon
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I have not been paying attention to the new league. I know that Rockford has the Fury in the PBL, but I still have the bitter taste of seeing the Lightning of the CBA not being able to maintain a team in Rockford.

I am not sure if there will be support for this team. When I mean support, I am referring to number at games and not actual fans.

During the basketball season, many in Rockford tend to support the high school teams more so than that of the professional league teams.

I hope the fans will show up and help maintain a team in Rockford.

Alumni96
01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Where is the Internet presence for this league? Do the teams have radio coverage of their games? If they do why isn't it listed anywhere? Shouldn't media deals already be in place. These teams and this league have had extra time to prepare with the season starting in January. At last check the defenders website still didn't have a roster up. Now the link says its under construction. The league website issues have been talked about already. I thought the major upgrade over the ABA would be at the organizational level. So far they've been a little disappointing.