PDA

View Full Version : PBL opening night report

a1sports
01-05-2008, 07:15 AM
First Jacksonville then Quad city. As told to me by poeple who were at both places.

Jacksonville:

Very nice modren venue, seats 5,800.
Looked very organized.
Scorers table, Stats guy, TV play by play( home game on TV)
Banners and advertisers thoughout
Mascots and dance team good
Very kid interactive, lots of stuff for kids to do
trainers, both teams had their own
equipment managers, both teams had their own
Water jug, towels for both benches ( in ABA hardly saw that)
Program book: 3 dollars
announced crowd of around 1,900...very vocal.

Overall a professional look and feel

LArge JAm BAnners hanging, you could still see ABA logo blacked out..need to fix that.

ABA balls for sale at merchandise counter...lol

Refs: bad calls affected both teams.

I asked how they compared to ABA refs...answer: "nothing compares to ABA refs"

Rochester flew in Thursday to Jacksonvile and had rented buses to travel to practice thursday and shoot-around friday morning.

Next up: Quad city: still waiting for another phone call. always use minimum 2 callers to confirm whats told to me.

tbayz1
01-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Good report so far a1!!

Quad City however, needs to start promoting and getting alot more fans than 125 to their games, come on Tom, promoting and having marketing people and all that should have been taken care of before your home opener!

not so fast
01-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Quad city team played really well. The dallas team is in early season Disarray. The coach from dallas is some sort of NBA former scout, well he better learn how to evaluate players better cause his team sucked.

If quad city finds one solid center to go along with thier 1,2,3, and fours, they will be tough for anybody to beat them in this league.

one way
01-05-2008, 01:10 PM
they might need a center but if they continue to draw 100 fans per night, they will probably not be able to pay him if they find him. And this owner has two teams??? I remember opening nights being pushed as sell outs. The problem is that these ABA type owners say opening night is what it is and the attendance will grow during the season. Sorry, it does not work like that. This guy Tom will be writing allot of checks with now money coming in. Then things start to get cut to save oney and etc. All and all, not a good start.

teqkng
01-05-2008, 01:42 PM
good to meet you A1 I have a strong feeling as to your identity now but will keep it quiet. I believe the actual paid attendance was around 2100 but the family and friends from the Jaguars (nfl) were occupied elsewhere for obvious reasons. The Internet streaming of the Broadcast production should start next week. I will probably still make the trip from Ft Lauderdale to Jax for most of the Friday Night Jams.

TEQ

a1sports
01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Quad City Report:

Old Venue: seast about 6,000
HAd lots of staff, about 20 people working
Sponsor banners
Concessions
Crowd about 125, sections of the place were empty
Scorers table, Stats guy, PA announcer

Problem: Dallas had black jerseys and the refs had black tops...need to fix that !!

overall professional looking, need to get fans into the seats

not so fast
01-05-2008, 02:52 PM
one way, amazing as this might seem, the owner Tom from Quad Cities does not seem to be concerned about gate revenue. Don't get me wrong, im sure he would like it, but he seems to be prepared to pay out all this money, you might say "One Way", with money going out and none coming in.

Dont forget he did own both of these teams last season in the ABA and he never missed a payroll with either team. And last years attendance was not exactly SRO.

All I can think is he has some kind of budget that does not include gate revenue, which sounds a little crazy, but he has not blinked about the costs involved with this. I gotta think if he had just one team, he would be more effective. I think all of us on this board can attest to the fact that running one team is time consuming enough, but to take on two franchises, in something that is as hard to sell as minorleague basketball, is really way too much.

I will say this, I think the Dallas team will need a new head coach, I know it is only one game, but this guy is clueless. just as important to the sucess of a league, is making sure you have good quality coaches, who understand minorleague basketball, and that does not always mean NBA person. Many of these NBA players, or scouts or whatever out of the NBA have done really poor jobs coaching minorleague basketball. A few have done well but most reall don't understand how this works, and how hard a coach has to work off court as well as on court, and all the hats you must wear.

Okay i'm done now, (boy was I long winded here or what).

heavesrock
01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
The Jam are drawing 1,600 more than the regular tenant of their arena!