PDA

View Full Version : IS Chicago playing?????????????

Aaronhere
01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Interesting thing I noticed tonight:
On this page, they have Chicago hosting Rockford
http://www.pblproball.com/schedule.php

BUT on the home page, the schedule in the right hand upper corner does not show a Chicago game tonight:
http://www.pblproball.com/

Anyone know if Chicago played?
Any attendance figures?

Minor League Man
01-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Interesting thing I noticed tonight:
On this page, they have Chicago hosting Rockford
http://www.pblproball.com/schedule.php

BUT on the home page, the schedule in the right hand upper corner does not show a Chicago game tonight:
http://www.pblproball.com/

Anyone know if Chicago played?
Any attendance figures?
The game's been moved to tomorrow, and it's going to be in Rockford.

QC_Hawks_fan
01-05-2008, 09:17 AM
The "Attack" facility is being used for the high school girls "shoot out" tournament Friday and Saturday. Chicago will be at home Sunday hosting Arkansas.

http://www.chicagothrowbacks.com/

will give an update on the Rockford (hosting Chicago) game Sunday. Will be in attendance.

TR Waters
01-05-2008, 11:28 AM
So much for this Super league. So far we have poor attendance, venue changes, and game postponement.

a1sports.......are you in charge of the PBL?

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 11:34 AM
So much for this Super league. So far we have poor attendance, venue changes, and game postponement.

Not postponed but moved to the other teams venue. See the ABA wouldn't do that.

Poor Attendance LMAO. Even the team that drew 125 outdrew many ABA Teams.

Go back to the Pony show.

bdaly
01-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Poor Attendance LMAO. Even the team that drew 125 outdrew many ABA Teams.

I actually give him a little credit for being so candid. Based on the articles, it sounds like 125 was the actual gate count. (McGinn said they have 120 season ticket holders.) At the very least, they didn't announce 900 or 1,000 while there were that number in the building to put up a smoke screen.

Obviously though, it's a very poor crowd, and it defies logic that he'd put the money he has into the team and renting a good venue and not promote it until now, but that's what has been the case. On the bright side, he continues to receive good newspaper coverage that's positive about the quality of play.

And, we can all cherry pick the weakest links in any league (especially the ABA, where most of them are weak links). As long as the weakest links play their games, put good teams on the floor, and play in decent venues, that's what I care about. I want to see ten teams with twenty games played at the end of the year, and the commitment seems to be there.

In the end, if the PBL ends the season with a reputation for stability (in terms of the schedule), even if they lose a team or two, they'll have an easier time adding strong teams next year. The first season is generally the hardest for obvious reasons.

preeths
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM

That reminds me:

PBL percentage of games played - 100

misenern
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
That was really weak debut for the PBL. I was looking at their website and I didn't even know if the season had begun or not. The website looks nice, but it is incomplete and not maintained. Broken and empty links arenít what I consider professional. Where are the stats? I donít even see who won or lost yet.

Attendance was weak for both games. We have to stop judging this league compared to ABA standards. 125 and 1,874 in attendance for a home opener is not acceptable. If this league wants to achieve some credibility they canít have embarrassing crowds of 125. Where was the due diligence? Why didnít the league step in and make Tom McGinn implement some sort of marketing plan?

Letís hope the PBL steps up and responds to its issues. It looks like a rocky start, but itís not too late. This is where they can separate themselves from the ABA.

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
That was really weak debut for the PBL. I was looking at their website and I didn't even know if the season had begun or not. The website looks nice, but it is incomplete and not maintained. Broken and empty links arenít what I consider professional. Where are the stats? I donít even see who won or lost yet.

Attendance was weak for both games. We have to stop judging this league compared to ABA standards. 125 and 1,874 in attendance for a home opener is not acceptable. If this league wants to achieve some credibility they canít have embarrassing crowds of 125. Where was the due diligence? Why didnít the league step in and make Tom McGinn implement some sort of marketing plan?

Letís hope the PBL steps up and responds to its issues. It looks like a rocky start, but itís not too late. This is where they can separate themselves from the ABA.

Doyle and company are being very ABAish right now. Lack of updates hype. Wheres the broadcasting of games.

I mean besides the Jam and the Razorsharks pumping things up the league is still ABAish and it starts at the top. Very very ABAish

bdaly
01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't consider 1,874 "weak." It may not be wonderful, but looking at the D-League and CBA, that remains a fairly strong crowd. 125 obviously is quite poor. But, as I've said, McGinn puts a good product on the floor, plays in a quality venue, and is dependable (he was last year in the ABA too). He clearly isn't proving to be a master marketer, though, and he needs to put resources there unless he's happy losing lots of cash.

I consider "ABAish" to be playing in poor venues and missing games. Until that happens, this is a clear step up. Given how tough minor league basketball is, expecting them to just blast off seems unrealistic--the NBA can't even pack them in with the D-League. I agree that the website has been unacceptable, although I'm happy to at least see score updates now. Hopefully full stats will at least be posted after every weekend and the games will be more immediate moving forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Reading can put up large numbers and if Rockford can at least be McGinn's stronger team. Should be another interesting night.

(And, my opinion remains that we'll probably see some sort of CBA and PBL merger in the next year or two. Both leagues have some strong teams with a few weak links--weak at the gate, but still reliable at least--in the mix. If you take the top six or seven from each league, you've got a strong minor league.)

heavesrock
01-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I agree that this league (or any other) needs to stop comparing itself or being compared to the ABA. A league should compare itself to the best (NBA) not the worst (ABA). Try to become like the best, not simply better than the worst. Using "it's better than the ABA" as an excuse is simply poor.

1,874 is not a poor crowd. I don't what the Jam need to break even, especially with rather long travel. The closest team is in North Carolina right? 125, on the other hand, is very poor.

preeths
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Good point, heavesrock. All of minor league basketball has to hold itself to a higher standard than the ABA. With many of the PBL teams having left that league, there's bound to be some comparison, but it is far from a yardstick for success.

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I don't consider 1,874 "weak." It may not be wonderful, but looking at the D-League and CBA, that remains a fairly strong crowd. 125 obviously is quite poor.

No spin. An opening night crowd of 1,874 is extremely weak. If any D-League or CBA teams had similar opening night crowds, then they're in a lot of trouble too. The beforementioned leagues are too spread-out for teams to attract such small crowds. OPENING NIGHT?!? That's the night teams (should) pull-out all the stops to attract their largest crowd.

...and yes, a team with an opening night crowd of 125 is not to be taken seriously.

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't consider 1,874 "weak." It may not be wonderful, but looking at the D-League and CBA, that remains a fairly strong crowd. 125 obviously is quite poor. But, as I've said, McGinn puts a good product on the floor, plays in a quality venue, and is dependable (he was last year in the ABA too). He clearly isn't proving to be a master marketer, though, and he needs to put resources there unless he's happy losing lots of cash.

I consider "ABAish" to be playing in poor venues and missing games. Until that happens, this is a clear step up. Given how tough minor league basketball is, expecting them to just blast off seems unrealistic--the NBA can't even pack them in with the D-League. I agree that the website has been unacceptable, although I'm happy to at least see score updates now. Hopefully full stats will at least be posted after every weekend and the games will be more immediate moving forward.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Reading can put up large numbers and if Rockford can at least be McGinn's stronger team. Should be another interesting night.

(And, my opinion remains that we'll probably see some sort of CBA and PBL merger in the next year or two. Both leagues have some strong teams with a few weak links--weak at the gate, but still reliable at least--in the mix. If you take the top six or seven from each league, you've got a strong minor league.)

The Marketing for the teams and the league has been very ABAish and the LEAGUE WEBSITE. Majorly ABAish.

bdaly
01-05-2008, 09:30 PM
If any D-League or CBA teams had similar opening night crowds, then they're in a lot of trouble too.
Well, in the case of most of the CBA teams, they didn't draw 1,800 for opening night. Outside of Yakima and RGV, there were lots of "0s" and crowds under that number reported. Of course, yes, most (if not all) of the teams in those leagues lose money too given the geography. That's why I think we'll see the CBA and PBL teams come together at some point. More regional play is the way to reduce the losses. Which is why if the ABA had some standards, it could have really been a positive thing...

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Well with what Ken said. The Pittsburgh Xplosion need to be in the ABA or no where with their crowds