PDA

View Full Version : Razorsharks 101, Jam 83

Minor League Man
01-05-2008, 12:17 AM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080104/SPORTS/80104053

RazorSharks win PBL opener in Florida

Alana Stage
Staff writer

(January 4, 2008) — The Rochester RazorSharks won their debut in the Premier Basketball League, 101-83, at UNF Arena in Jacksonville, Fla., on Friday night.

James Reaves led the RazorSharks with 20 points, followed by Keith Friel, who scored 18, including going 4-for-6 from beyond the 3-point line in the first half.

“It feels good to get off to a great note,” Friel said. “It's nice to get the kinks out. We can only get better. We are not close to where we need to be, which speaks volumes about where we can go.”

Newcomer Vidal Massiah scored 13 points to go with 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Massiah was Rochester’s first-round draft pick, ninth overall, in the PBL draft in October.

“I think it's good to start on the road because it gives us a chance to bond over meals and traveling,” Massiah said. “It's a great group of guys, but for the last three weeks, we’ve only played against each other. It felt good to get some frustrations out.”

Marlin Johnson, a 1994 graduate of Franklin, led Rochester with seven rebounds.

Jacksonville opened the game on a 7-0 run, but it was the only time in the game that the Jam would have the lead.

Rochester made a strong rally, breaking out to a 51-37 halftime lead on the tail of a 21-9 run.

The Jam rallied, going on a 20-7 run in the third quarter.

Derik Hollyfield’s buzzer-beating 3-pointer helped swing the momentum back to the RazorSharks, as they took a 67-61 lead at the end of the third quarter.

The RazorSharks went 21-for-27 from the free-throw line, including 11-for-12 in the second half to close out the game.

Jacksonville, which is also a team that left the American Basketball Association to seek a more stable league, finished last year with a 28-8 record, but retained only three players from the 2006-07 season.

Rochester heads to Wilmington Sunday to face the Sea Dawgs, a team the RazorSharks had success against when both teams played in the ABA.

The Sea Dawgs are led by Cedric McGinnis, a two-time ABA all-star selection who averaged 24 points and eight rebounds last season.

Rochester plays its home opener next Saturday against the Reading Railers, and will play host to Jacksonville on Jan. 13.

Sounds pretty good...Can't wait to hear the Jacksonville report...

tbayz1
01-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Thats my boy Marlin Johnson, get them boards!!

Sounds like a pretty good game, but Rochester just had the hot hands and the momentum towards the end

Wonder how the crowd was in Jacksonville, maybe TEQ will give us his recap of the game if he went

a1sports
01-05-2008, 03:09 AM
Crowd of 1,874

teqkng
01-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Tbayz1, Heck yes I was at the game. but I have to tell you that the report above however dry as it was is a good analysis. After some protracted discussion however we seem to think that the lack of accuracy that the jam exhibited last night was a key factor. If the guys had hit the rim with 20% more accuracy the game would have been a bit different. There were other challenges we identified but I wont go in to them the crowd however did seem to let the guys down a bit on foul throws... I actually have a voice this morning which I NEVER did the day after a game (Win or Loss) last year. I think momentum will be a Key factor this season. I also have to make sure that the Razor Sharks organization gets the cudos it deserves the coaching and general teamwork of the Sharks team was indicative of what this league is supposed to represent. We Lost but we remain the victors in the fact that Competition breeds greatness. Good luck as the season moves forward and I have a feeling things will be a bit different next time we meet!

In tribute to the past holiday season.

Two turtle doves... and a partridge in a pear tree..

TEQ.