01-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Tonight's games:

Rochester Razorsharks vs. Jacksonville Jam
UNF Arena
Jacksonville, Florida

Dallas Defenders vs. Quad Cities Riverhawks
Wharton Field House
Moline, Illinois

If anyone has any game updates, post them in this thread.

Thank you (Tonight we find out how this is gonna work)

Minor League Man
01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Hello?...This gets bumped up by a stinkin' CBA cancellation?

I guess nobody's interested in the PBL anymore...

TheStandard
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
The league itself does not promote it. Its pathetic. New League you have to promote the crap out of it everywhere. Guess they are what they are for now.ABAish

MJHankel
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Seriously you can hardly tell that the season has started. Other than the listed dates, you can't tell at all, except maybe at the home teams' arenas. I thought there would at least be some form of webcast (radio or otherwise). Come on they claim to be the "premier league." Wheres the fanfare? Wheres the promotion? They should be much more pomp coming from the league than this. The league site looks just as outdated as ever.

I gotta admit, I was expecting so much more for opening night.

DazedAndAmused
01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Not sure why, but flying under the radar seems to be an M.O. for the PBL, especially after early on they promised a game "we have never seen before" or similar.

I believe their goal for year 1 has been pared down to playing all of their games, with the "extra's" coming in later. This is actually probably smart because it did seem as though they did "bite off more than they can chew" in the first year. as another poster wrote.

If they play their two scheduled games today in climate controlled venues, they may win the minor league award of the day (radio/tv broadcasts or not, promo efforts or not, it is sad to say.) Attendance numbers and how quickly they get their COMPLETE stats posted will also be telling.

DazedAndAmused
01-04-2008, 10:29 PM
MJHankel, you are right about the site. A couple of hours ago I looked at the PBL site and there was standings frame on the front page and the throwbacks logo was at the top with the others linking to their site. Now it has reverted back to the old site. Who is the ad wizard that came up with this??? The league would get alot less criticisim if it simply maintained the site with the very latest data. I fully expect to see full statistics for the games played by tomorrow OR i'll go with the Standard's assessment of "ABAish."

bdaly
01-05-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure how much buzz I'd expect for a two game opening night. Frankly, there's pretty much no buzz from any of the minor leagues--regarding games anyway. Teams put out their press releases and local media coverage has been decent.

I am, however, disappointed in the league website to date. I really don't even care about design that much. But, to get home and not find scores is disappointing. The updates seem to have been occasional, but included a significant number of additions each time. Obviously, with the season under way, they need to be steady.

bdaly
01-05-2008, 01:43 AM
Quad Cities beat Dallas 127-92 in front of a sparse crowd:

http://www.qctimes.com/articles/2008/01/04/sports/basketball/doc477f157c6447c309628590.txt

Interesting comment from a fan in the "comments" section:

First of all, I tip my hat to the Quad City Times for giving this team some press. I've heard nothing from the local TV outlets on this new league and the Riverhawks change of venue. By publishing this article, more people will know that the team has made some upgrades to its product. Most in the QCA don't even know this team is around and playing at Wharton. Part of the blame goes to the Riverhawks for not aggressively marketing this franchise. But, I digress.

I was impressed by the team's overall performance. While this is not quite Thunder-level basketball, the Riverhawks certainly have some potential AAA-caliber talent just waiting to break through. Both offensively and defensively, they controlled the game. It was one of the most dominating performances I've seen in a minor league basketball contest.

Wharton is a historic venue and I enjoyed every moment of my first-ever Riverhawks experience. There's no doubt in my mind I will be back again this season!

TheStandard
01-05-2008, 02:37 AM
By Eric Page | Friday, January 04, 2008 | 1 comment(s)

Crowd of 125 watches Q-C

defeat Dallas

By Eric Page

Quad-City Times

The Quad-City Riverhawks put more points on the scoreboard than they did butts in the seats Friday night in their Premier Basketball League debut at Wharton Field House.

Owner Tom McGinn will take the win and try to build a fan base from there.

Buoyed by a balanced scoring attack, the Riverhawks grabbed a 29-point lead early in the second quarter and coasted to a

127-92 win over the Dallas Defenders.

“We’re the best game in town that no one knows about,” McGinn said after a sparse crowd of 125 took in his team’s season opener.

Willie Mitchell and Ryan Edwards scored 21 and 20 points, respectively, to lead seven Riverhawks in double figures, and the Defenders — who did little defending throughout the night — never threatened.

“We got what we needed to out of it. We were playing strong,” said Edwards, the Riverhawks’ leading returning scorer, who went 6-for-15 from the floor and connected on four 3-pointers. “We’re still familiarizing with each other. We’ve still got some things to work on, but things went pretty much as planned.”

The plan for first-year coach La-Troy Farrow’s squad was to apply pressure defensively and push the ball offensively to take advantage of Dallas’ miscues. The Riverhawks forced 10 first-quarter turnovers while taking a 31-13 lead. And they started the second on an 11-0 run to stretch the lead to 42-13 with 10 minutes left in the half.

Some sloppy Q-C play late in the half let Dallas cut the lead to 17 at the break, but another Riverhawks run to open the third pushed the lead back to 25, and the outcome never was in doubt.

The lead ballooned to 39, at 123-84, late in the game.

“We were aggressive defensively, and that set the tone for us,” Farrow said. “Our defensive intensity was there from start to finish, and that’s what I like to see. I’m pretty happy with our effort overall.”

Dallas got 19 points from Ronald Blackshear and 15 each from Tony Gipson and Ken Barnes.

Lonnie Randolph, an ABA all-star last season while playing in the Quad-Cities, recently signed with the Defenders. He scored eight points on 3-of-5 shooting against his old team.

Newly signed Riverhawks guard Bobby Anderson scored 17 points. Antiony Hardin scored 14 points, Keith Gayden 13, Aaron Harrison 12 and Ty Johnson 10.

“One of our strengths is that a different guy can hurt you every night,” Farrow said. “You can’t help off this guy; you can’t double that guy. Because if you do, we’re going to make you pay. We have a pretty even attack.”

Umm when you do ABA'ish acts such as NOT PROMOTING YOUR PRODUCT THE RIGHT WAY. YOU YES YOU WILL GET A CROWD OF 125.