PDA

View Full Version : D-League changing playoff format...

abie10
01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Anyone have any info on the new format of the playoffs? I saw on the site that you can register to win a trip to Game 1 of the finals...

DakotaWiz
01-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Playoffs: The winners of all three divisions as well as the three teams with the next best records will qualify for the D-League playoffs. The two division winners with the best records will receive a first-round bye, while the remaining four teams will play in a one-and-done format. The winners will face the two teams that received byes, also in a one-and-done game, for the right to advance to the D-League Championship. This year's championship will be a best-of-three series. The team with the better record will host games two and three (if necessary).

ChumpDumper
01-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Well that pretty much guarantees no assignees of NBA playoff teams will take part in the D-League playoffs. I guess that will avoid all the griping from owners and GMs about their players' status for either league in the postseason.

USBasket_EricE
01-07-2008, 07:09 PM
So, the 4 teams that don't have first round byes - are they making it so that the team with the best record of the four plays the team with the worst record of the four, and the #2 team plays the #3 team? And then when two of those teams advance, will it be another 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3? Have I confused anyone? LOL.

I personally didn't mind the one and done all the way through the play-offs last year, but I know a lot of people hated it, so hopefully this new best of three series for the championship puts a positive spin on it. I only like series that allow the "championship game" to be played on the home court of the team that had the better season. The 1-2 format is excellent. Thank you for setting it up that way, D-League!

And on a related note to ChumpDumper's comment about assigned players, assuming that the rules haven't changed from last season, a team that makes the play-offs cannot sign another player or be assigned another player after a certain date deadline when the regular season ends. I vaguely remember a certain Skyforce fan that went all bonkers about the team not being able to have Amir Johnson on their roster for the play-offs, even though it WAS in the rule book that teams could not sign more players after a certain date and time. Lies were told about a certain coach - the best in the minor leagues (and currently an assistant in the NBA) - lies that he informed the league about this rule (and even if he did, rules are rules). It was sad that anyone could fall to such an immature level, making up lies and personal attacks. Hopefully there won't be a repeat of this during this year's play-offs.

DakotaWizardsFan
01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Lies were told about a certain coach - the best in the minor leagues (and currently an assistant in the NBA) - lies that he informed the league about this rule (and even if he did, rules are rules). It was sad that anyone could fall to such an immature level, making up lies and personal attacks.

I wonder who you're talking about.. okay, actually, it's obvious. Yeah, that was really annoying and immature last season. Rules are rules and it's the organization's job to know them.