PDA

View Full Version : A quote from Doyle in maryland Newspaper

a1sports
01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
‘‘Having spent three seasons in another league, we knew we were not going to play in that league ever again,” Doyle said. ‘‘At the same time, we knew what we have created with the Nighthawks, and fortunately there were others that felt like that. That was the genesis of the Premier Basketball League. We are very proud of how far we’ve come and we want to look to the future.”

Just doesnt have the same ring to it if JOJO was speaking. LOL

one way
01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
What he is saying and what he is doing are two different things. Chicago is right now an ABA team with ABA problems and now the PBL has brought them in. Do you really think that the Chicago team posted their enrty money? Has a single ticket sold? Will put forth a quality product? ABA just with different letters.

radiodavel
01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
you can only make 1 1st impression, this is not a good one. PBL site, Chicago Throwback site and Rockford Fury site have not made the schedule change for the game this week. Was suppose to be played at Chicago on Friday, has been moved north to Rockford on Saturday.

As a fan, tell me the truth...Chicago is done for the year had some problems, don't give me this a team who couldn't even make it in the ABA.

Fans deserve more for there dollar than this, same problems different league..

bdaly
01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
What he is saying and what he is doing are two different things. Chicago is right now an ABA team with ABA problems and now the PBL has brought them in. Do you really think that the Chicago team posted their enrty money? Has a single ticket sold? Will put forth a quality product? ABA just with different letters.
So, you're talking about what's likely the PBL's weakest link in its inaugural season. In the end, they found a team to play the schedule as planned. And, they've followed through on their obligations from an ABA standpoint while everyone around them crumbled. As their GM stated, fans can see their team on a more consistent basis. Sad, but true.

Judging by the photos, it doesn't look like they're going to be a strong draw. But, at the very least, they have a decent venue and they've done what they're supposed to do. Good for the PBL is taking care of their one problem market before the season. An "ABA problem" is a bunch of canceled/moved games, which is still not an issue thanks to this move.

radiodavel
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
bdaly, not to get on you, but 2 wrongs don't make a right...if the Chicago team was a horse they probably would have shot it and put it out of it's pain

just a quick point, Throwbacks could have travelled to play ABA teams on both coasts, but didn't...hopefully someone is footing the bill for these expenses...

to many issues and we haven't even sang the national anthem...

preeths
01-02-2008, 05:03 PM

The biggest difference between the Chicago Throwbacks and at least half the ABA teams is the Throwbacks have an owner willing, and quite possibly able, to fund a team through a season. In the ABA, he had no one left to play. Certainly none of the teams in the East or West would travel to Chicago. The PBL was probably his only chance to fill his home dates. Does that make it an ideal situation for the PBL? Not by a longshot, but if they make all their games, it makes it a good stop-gap measure for this season.

tbayz1
01-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Heres a good question to ask, why would the Chicago owner want to waste money traveling to play games in the ABA, now I don't know a single thing about his financial state, but obviously the league didnt care if he played games or not, because he was playing more non-ABA teams than ABA teams, so why should he make the effort to travel out and play games, why couldn't teams make the effort to go to Chicago? This just go to show that you can pretty much do anything in the ABA, if you don't want to travel to a game, you don't have to, and its never a big deal.

Im sure though the PBL will keep a leash on the Throwbacks because of them being a non-solidified team, and a team that didnt really do anything in the ABA, drawing less than 150 fans a game, lets hope some of that changes in the PBL, they have a nice facility and appear to have a few decent players, now all they need is butts in seats!

one way
01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I hardly consider where the Throwbacks play a decent venue. Been there. Nothing more than a gym with bleacher seating. Nothing more than a rec center facility. But, where are all the background checks and due dilligence on behalf of the PBL when looking for teams? That was thrown in our faces time and time again and what happened to the Aztecas? The PBL points and judges the ABA for letting teams in at the last minute, that is exactly what they are doing. Pot calling the kettle black.

radiodavel
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
one way I agree with you, we are on the same page...my thought again, forget about a Chicago team if you don't have the ownership, that would have shown me something,

DazedAndAmused
01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
The PBL points and judges the ABA for letting teams in at the last minute, that is exactly what they are doing.

The quote/subject on this thread aside (which is a simple statement of truth) and not a specific indictment, who has pointed or judged from the PBL? (That's actually what I have liked about them so far. )

Having said that, Chicago does seem to be the weak link that will likely have to be watched very carefully by the league. They wanted this Chicago presence for some reason it seems.

I still believe that their (the PBL's) goals first and foremost are to play every single game, with all teams playing the same number of games, culminating in a league ending tournament. They'll probably fund any stragglers through the end of the season (if there are any) and then filter out underperformers as needed in the off season. I also expect them to post detailed stats out of the gate, as well as slowly build consistency and protocols between the squads.

If the PBL's primary goals are met (I believe they will but I don't have crystal ball to predict), then they will have accomplished what the ABA has never been able to in year 1. We can have lots of opinions now, but we'll have facts in the next 6 to 8 weeks to judge by.

radiodavel
01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
PBL has bitten off more than they can chew at this point, if you do your homework you can see that...there are some quality franchises (Rochester is the gem), but there is some franchises that need help in several areas and fast...

I saw a recent exhibition game, they had good intentions, the game was not exciting, the players were sub-par (good rec league), it was not a very professional atmosphere...I was hoping for better from all areas...

I was able to talk with the local sports writer and another person who I know quite well and has been around minor league sports for several years - rag-tag was what I heard... the fans in this community have seen better pro ball in the past and that will cause them problems as well

preeths
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
PBL has bitten off more than they can chew at this point, if you do your homework you can see that...there are some quality franchises (Rochester is the gem), but there is some franchises that need help in several areas and fast...

I saw a recent exhibition game, they had good intentions, the game was not exciting, the players were sub-par (good rec league), it was not a very professional atmosphere...I was hoping for better from all areas...

I was able to talk with the local sports writer and another person who I know quite well and has been around minor league sports for several years - rag-tag was what I heard... the fans in this community have seen better pro ball in the past and that will cause them problems as well

That sounds like an exhibition game. Honestly, that's what you get.

one way
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
on PBL team late with their players paychecks. Do your research

preeths
01-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Care to tell us which one?

bdaly
01-03-2008, 08:18 AM
If the PBL's primary goals are met (I believe they will but I don't have crystal ball to predict), then they will have accomplished what the ABA has never been able to in year 1. We can have lots of opinions now, but we'll have facts in the next 6 to 8 weeks to judge by.
Agreed--that's when I'll really evaluate it. If Chicago plays their schedule as planned and is competitive, I think it's a decent move. Whether it's a stopgap or not, time will tell, but maintaining the schedule's integrity is important. Anyway, I'm looking forward to opening weekend; we'll then be basing these discussions off real facts instead of hearsay.

Pounder
01-03-2008, 01:44 PM
on PBL team late with their players paychecks. Do your research

Point of order, councilor: the prosecution is the entity required to do their own research.

Evidence is your job. It's not our job to prove your case.

preeths
01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
He was on the board today. Still hasn't answered the question.

heavesrock
01-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone know how ticket sales are going for teams like Arkansas or Dallas? Or any other for that matter.

DazedAndAmused
01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Hopefully some OSC posters who may be going to games will post some pics so we can see some attendance. My guess is that a majority the ticket sales will be game day, relative to what I have observed elsewhere.

bdaly
01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone know how ticket sales are going for teams like Arkansas or Dallas? Or any other for that matter.
No idea. These two don't look like bad organizations though. Arkansas has received decent media coverage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're pretty successful. Dallas is going to be tougher given the market. Out of the new teams, I wouldn't be surprised if Reading is most successful. They play in a great facility, and it looks like they had a couple thousand at their exhibition game (assuming the crowd is the same on the other side as it is on the pictured side on their site).

It'll be an interesting year. I suspect they'll have a few bumps, and you'll have teams drawing several thousand (Rochester and Reading) to a few hundred (Chicago certainly, with teams like Dallas, Rockford, and Quad City needing to prove themselves). But, I think they've done a decent job for a new league. I will say, though, that the league website's updates have been sporadic, so I hope that changes come tomorrow. No matter how it goes, I'm sure I'll enjoy watching the PBL over the "old league."

DazedAndAmused
01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
From bdaly: But, I think they've done a decent job for a new league.

We will be able to better assess in several weeks, but I think one important point here is that I don't believe these guys ever wanted to run a league to begin with. They just wanted some more stable infrastructure to rely on for their own organizations. It sure would have been better to have a stable ABA.

Reminds me of an old adage: If you really want to lead, you obviously have no idea what it means to be a leader. Leaders lead because they have to. If you want to sit atop the perch for the sake of it, you are flawed and bound for failure. I know that I have found this to be true in many aspects of life and business, and it looks to be the case here. I believe that's a good sign long term for the PBL, if they can get some early successes in particular.