View Full Version : Spurs call up DerMarr Johnson, waive Williams

ChumpDumper
12-29-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/dermarr_johnson_071229.html

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/marcus_williams_071229.html

The game of musical Toros continues.

DakotaWiz
12-29-2007, 02:45 PM
They are showing what can happen if the parent team owns the D-League team... I think the Toros are easily the best team in the league right now, besides maybe Colorado..

ChumpDumper
12-29-2007, 02:52 PM
They have been doing well despite all the roster upheavals. I thought they were going to get beat badly last night without Washington, Williams and Langford but they came up with their best execution on offense and defense all season and dominated a Tulsa team that had six current or former NBA players.

They also added Kris Lang. They have one of the biggest and most talented front lines in the league.

jjbballfan
12-30-2007, 02:13 AM
They have been doing well despite all the roster upheavals. I thought they were going to get beat badly last night without Washington, Williams and Langford but they came up with their best execution on offense and defense all season and dominated a Tulsa team that had six current or former NBA players.

They also added Kris Lang. They have one of the biggest and most talented front lines in the league.

Man Kris Lang I remember him from the old UNC days..... I had heard he was coming to the Dleague but I thought he would end up in Sioux Falls I heard they were trying to find a way to get him..... They had some Skyforce executive on the local television and he said the guys from Europe will start coming back to the States (dleague) in hopes of getting noticed now with the showcase, 10 day contracts and guarenteed contracts, I hope he is right.....

ChumpDumper
12-30-2007, 02:17 AM
They also picked up Justin Reed. The Spurs had Lang on their summer league squad, so both parties probably worked out the timing to get him on the Toros.

DakotaWiz
12-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Wow, rumor had it that if Reed and Lang would have been in the draft, both would have been first round... that team is good..

DWizards
01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I wonder if the spurs may just keep calling up toro players so the toros continue to be first on the waiver wire. Think about it, if Langford and DerMar Johnson do not stick with the team, then the toros have (Langford, Johnson, Lang, Reed, Williams). They probably aren't doing it for that reason, but you have to wonder if the Wizards are ever going to have the first pick on the available players. I miss the CBA days where the GMs that worked the hardest signed the best players.

DakotaWiz
01-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I was bored today and found this blog when I researching some of the waiver wire stuff..

http://dleagueutah.blogspot.com/2007/12/trouble-with-rules.html

Definitely liked that aspect of the CBA, but the D-League is better in almost all others...

ChumpDumper
01-03-2008, 11:48 PM
To call up three D League players in one week from the same team would deplete a team-but actually it is a genius way for the Toros to stack their D League team. They now have the top 3 out of 4 slots to select players from the player pool. That should give them an advantage, if they select right, that could help them for several years to come.Several years?

Highly doubtful.

Of course the Spurs/Toros were using the rules to their advantage, but it's not illegal so I don't understand the complaining.

DakotaWiz
01-04-2008, 01:54 AM
It won't help them for several years, but it definitely helps the D-League this year. Granted, it's a much better system than the "Punish the good teams, reward the bad teams" system, but it still sucks.. It should all be fixed as soon as 10 days start to happen however.. Chumpdumper, you do have to see that it definitely creates an advantage for the NBA-owned teams, right?

ChumpDumper
01-04-2008, 02:26 AM
It won't help them for several years, but it definitely helps the D-League this year. Granted, it's a much better system than the "Punish the good teams, reward the bad teams" system, but it still sucks.. It should all be fixed as soon as 10 days start to happen however.. Chumpdumper, you do have to see that it definitely creates an advantage for the NBA-owned teams, right?Of course I see where it gives them an advantage, just as Dakota and Colorado had an advantage choosing first in the draft after playing for the championship the year before or having the good fortune of Keith Langford's being born in Texas to get him assigned to the Toros. I just don't care all that much. The loophole will be closed soon enough, perhaps in exchange for eliminating the limit on the number of assignments per season. It all works out eventually.

DakotaWiz
01-04-2008, 02:42 AM
Haha, that did kind of even out, however, as most teams got at least one good allocated player and the Wizards got nothing, really.. And I agree, I'm sure the league will figure out a way to fix it, just annoying once I really looked at it. The Toros could probably beat the T-Wolves right now! And as long as they don't go back to the old way of the waiver process, I'm okay. If they did decide to do that, they should at least let each team get to the front before they do that.

ChumpDumper
01-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Last season the teams with the worst record in the D-League had perpetual first crack at any new players in the pool. The league tried to remedy that season by bumping teams that lost players to NBA call-ups or overseas buyouts to the top of the list.

However, the unexpectedly large number of call-ups early in the season - especially of players who ended up having only short runs in the NBA - tilted the balance too far in the other direction.

Beginning Jan. 14, the priority list was reordered, with teams ranked from worst records to best,and no provision for teams that had players called up or bought out. The list will be revised again in early March.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2008/01/24/news/sports/local/147270.txt

So the loophole was closed just in time to screw over the Wiz.

DakotaWiz
01-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Haha, love it! Well, a few weeks earlier actually, but still with the same result.. Now we're without a stud veteran leader and 11th in line to pick up anybody. I'm beginning to hate this league.

USBasket_EricE
01-25-2008, 11:11 PM
These new last minute rules are crap.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/3/1/231a9d1cd7b688a97ff14b033480ddc9.gif

jjbballfan
01-26-2008, 12:55 AM
why not just do this....

a limit of 5 gm decision moves (trades/releases for personal reasons)

And then when you need a guy you pick whoever you want whenever you want not this if you are winning or loosing or if your player is bought out or called up or so on..... both rules have problems, i think in the future it should be that the parent club holds the rights to the players in there organization... however like baseball there would be a gentle mens agreement that if a veteran would be called up by a different team he would be released from the club that holds his rights.....

DakotaWiz
01-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Currently there is a limit of 9 moves per team (Bakersfield is at 7). I agree with the having an open market, but I think that if the team would have to pay individual salaries and such, some teams wouldn't be able to exist..