PDA

View Full Version : D-League to Erie? Affiliated with the Cavs?

SignGuyDino
12-28-2007, 07:45 AM
What happened to Youngstown? http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071228/BASKETBALL04/712280418

Pounder
12-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Sounds like negotiations to me. Play one against the other because Youngstown is probably trying to actually cover their costs. Teams want cities to cover TEAM costs.

jjbballfan
12-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Ya i read that and was thinking WHAT..... I don't know if western Pennsylvania is the best place to put a team but is it much different then Youngstown though?

SignGuyDino
12-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I think it's a great idea if Youngstown is still in the running. Play the cities off each other. It'll build up interest. I think the same thing will happen in a couple of years when the Bobcats finally pursue a D-League team in the Carolinas. Lot of the old D-League cities would have a entirely different attitude supporting a team Michael Jordan is running rather than a NBA-owned team. I'm already shamelessly lobbying for Asheville since we have a new venue that's basketball specific with only 3,500 seats that should work much better then the old Civic Center.

Erie isn't that far away from Youngstown.

I just think a team in Pennsylvania would want to be affiliated with the 76ers.

jjbballfan
12-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Apparently Erie's Minor League Hockey team isn't too happy with plans to put a Dleague team there and possibly an Indoor Football teaem.... there was an article in the paper with them voicing concerns over it..... I know Sioux Falls, Bakersfield and I think RGV all have Hockey, basketball and indoor football.... Idoor football isn't a big problem because they start right when basketball is ending.... I understand there complaints though because right now they are the show in town....

thefridge81
01-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Apparently Erie's Minor League Hockey team isn't too happy with plans to put a Dleague team there and possibly an Indoor Football teaem.... there was an article in the paper with them voicing concerns over it..... I know Sioux Falls, Bakersfield and I think RGV all have Hockey, basketball and indoor football.... Idoor football isn't a big problem because they start right when basketball is ending.... I understand there complaints though because right now they are the show in town....

Yeah the Otters owner made a big stink about taking away from his potential revenue.

Here's a gem from that article:

I'll set this excerpt up for you so it makes sense. The Otters since the 2005 season to now are a dismal 50-115. They are 9-30 this season.

[Beginning]
“If they do this, that tells me they don’t want us. … It would be like building another comedy club across the street from Jr.’s,” he said.

Well, not really, but let’s go with his analogy. The first thing Jr.’s would have to do under that scenario is make sure its comics were funny.
[End]

The Civic Center has to be losing money since they maybe get 900ish on average for games in a building that holds 6000+, yet inflate the attendance numbers to the range of 3000+ to make it sound respectable. *Yawn*