PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade Call ups/10 day contracts

jjbballfan
12-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Do you guys think that when the 10 day contract goes into effect on Jan 5 that the Gatorade contracts will increase.... I figured it out and a 10 day contract is worth around $15,000 so its worth the call up....

Does anybody know why the 10 day contract isn't an option until jan 5?

DakotaWiz
12-26-2007, 11:49 PM
I just spent about an hour searching the internet, and didn't really get any clues as to why January 5 is the starting date for 10-day's.. It seems to be the date that SOME contracts become guaranteed, though not sure which..
I definitely think that there will be an increase in 10-day's once that rolls around.. There were 5 within the week last year.. Which 5 do you think it'll be this year? I have Carlos Powell from the Wizards, Elton Brown from Colorado, Rod Benson, Eddie Gill (again), Will Blalock, and CJ Watson... I assume 5 of them will get a 10-day this season at some point.

ChumpDumper
12-27-2007, 12:30 AM
I actually thought Jan 5 was the date ALL contracts became guaranteed, and 10-days were the only way to avoid a full contract for the remainder of the season. I don't know exactly why they work the way they do, but I'm sure it's some compromise between the owners and players' union.

And yes, that's when the call-ups start in earnest. There's also a spike after the MLK showcase. The total number of call-ups this year might not match that of last season's; the overall talent level just doesn't seem as high.

jjbballfan
12-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Quite a few 10 day contract tallent has left for Europe already... I know the Skyforce lost Nik Caner-Medley, and Damone Brown already and both had a good chance of getting a 10 day contract... Just seems like quite a few high talent players left for Europe during the season, maybe it happened last year also I didn't pay as much attention last year..

DakotaWiz
12-27-2007, 12:53 AM
The reason I assume only some contracts become guaranteed then is because players have been released already (Eddie Gill) and it wouldn't have made sense to release him if his contract was guaranteed (only have 14 players..)
I don't know if I'd agree that the overall talent level is worse than last year. I think every team has at least 2-3 possible fringe NBA players starting for them. Last year, with the Wizards (team I follow the most), coming into the season, they had one NBA caliber player, Justin Williams. Renaldo Major came out of nowhere to earn a call-up, and the rest of the starters weren't really call-up material. This year, we've got Rod Benson, Kevin Lyde, Dontell Jefferson, and Carlos Powell all as viable call-up options.

Gabe Muoneke also just left for overseas... They obviously didn't believe they were going to be getting the call-up, however, as the reason they're playing in the d-league is to make the NBA, and if you leave, you're pretty much giving up on that..

ChumpDumper
12-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah, unless they aren't doing particularly well I don't know why players don't wait until the after the showcase to leave. Well, every player has his own issues.