PDA

View Full Version : No Aztecas This Season

cdamion
12-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I just called the phone number listed for the Aztecas on the PBL website and reached a restaurant. After being transferred to somebody (the owner?), I was told that the Aztecas will not be fielding a team this season, but are planning to next season.

So, is somebody else in Chicago stepping up to deliver a team?

DazedAndAmused
12-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I just got some info 3rd hand that suggests that QC Hawks is correct and that this team will somehow be a joint effort of perhaps the Rochester team and the Throwbacks owner, if not the Throwbacks directly. Apparently this has been in the works for many weeks, but as usual the PBL doesn't announce it in advance.

DazedAndAmused
12-26-2007, 06:03 PM
...and that somehow the restaurant/food company (I'm not sure which they are) may still be a sponsor but will not be involved day to day. It sounds to me like funding for this team has been committed from somewhere, but the operations are coming together too late for whatever reason. The PBL needs this Chicago team going to avoid a black eye. Tick tock.

bdaly
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM
On the flipside, I'd rather have the team fold and the schedule updated now (with teams, not dates, changed) than later. I don't think it would be the end of the world if it happened now. If they have the resources carry this team through though, good for them. It does make you wonder if Manchester was talking to the PBL to fill in for Chicago. Unless they plan on sticking with this Chicago team for the long haul, carrying a lame duck team through the season will do them little good. But, with league leadership in Chicago, they may plan on really making it work, even if they have to take a pretty big hit this season.