PDA

View Full Version : NeL and CBL merge? And El Paso loses AA Texas league to CBL

Djay
10-05-2004, 10:31 AM
The El Paso Diablos sold out of the AA Texas league and ownership still has the 2005 stadium contract. CBL Commish Wolff has given the knod for El Paso new owners to join the CBL if they can reach agreement on the stadium lease. Rumors of Amarillo folding and possible team in Lubbock; whether affiliated or Indy and all that happening in the off-season.

Heard a little whisper also about the Northeast and Central leagues considering a merge of sorts. That was already a rumor when the announcement of the two leagues combining their all-star games in 04. NEL players flew down to Ft. Worth to play the CBL team; which the CBL won. Now the whisperings have surfaced again over the two leagues becoming one. hmmmmm :?

nlfan
10-09-2004, 12:11 AM
I think it would be likely that the NeL and CBL might merge --eventualy. Given Miles Wolff's work to merge the previous incarnation of the NeL with the Northern League from '99-'02, it could happen. If it so, it would likely be a similar arrangement with All Star Game and championships.

What would influence it is the opinion of the owners. That's why the NeL and NoL split.

NeLeaguefan
10-11-2004, 02:37 AM
What will happen to the Aces ?

NeLeaguefan
10-11-2004, 02:38 AM
I'd like to buy the Aces and give them a home

BerkshireFan
10-13-2004, 12:39 AM
What will happen to the Aces ?

That's the $64,000 question. There's been no news out of Utica where the Northeast League founder, Jay Acton, would like to put the team if he buys the team. Pittsfield is apparently out of the picture with the withdrawl of the Bouton Group. The Aces may well be a travelling team for second season.

Another option I suppose is that they continue as a league operated team, but with a "permanent" home until a buyer comes along.

-Marc

Lumberjacks_Fan
10-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Just to throw another wrench into the works, there is a story in the local Bangor, ME paper stating that the Lumberjacks may move or fold. I would hate to see that happen. Baseball was just beginning to gain again in Bangor.

Brockton Guy
02-28-2005, 05:07 PM
It appears rumors of Bangor's demise were just that. . .rumors.

Although they have to be disappointed with their turnout last year, I hope they improve on their performance at the gate for 2005.