PDA

View Full Version : a good thing

one way
12-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Just a question, was playing in this tournament of americas a good thing? Did it do anything for the PBL versus the expense to play in the tournament? Did any of the PBL officials attend any of the games? How was the team put togther and was it competitive. A saw that one huy was listed on an ABA roster and one guy never played college basketball. Any thoughts? P.S. none of the players on the team were listed on any PBL team

TheStandard
12-09-2007, 06:38 PM
The expense was none.

FIBA Paid all expenses for the teams to show up. They were put up in hotels, fed and transported. This was for all of teams in the tourney.

The players that are on that roster are guys that are going to be part of PBL Teams. Some of these guys are going to Arkansas and Dallas, the rest are guys that are going to the Aztecas team.

PBL people did show up for the games. But it was from the chicago office not the Maryland office.

PBL stayed at the Hilton

Mexico stayed at the Hilton

Domincan Republic stayed at the Embassy Suites

Santurce of the BSN few of the guys stayed at the Ritz-Carlton the rest live in PR.

FIBA Treated all of these guys good.

a1sports
12-09-2007, 09:47 PM
The PBL secretary I spoke to about the FIBA tournament told me the PBL paid $ 10,000 entrance fee. It was conformed by Mr. Garcia of FIBA.

bdaly
12-10-2007, 09:03 AM
While the league could have done a better job promoting the fact they participated, it's certainly a good thing. And, in truth, they may care more about showing FIBA they're a legit league than the general public (who, on average, doesn't know much about events like these). It's certainly a good experience for the league's players and it makes a statement regarding the league. Sounds worthwhile to me.

panchess
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
..it might help promote a team and the league.

I can see why the CBA doesn't participate, though. It's a sideshow during the regular season.

DazedAndAmused
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
..it might help promote a team and the league.

I can see why the CBA doesn't participate, though. It's a sideshow during the regular season.
It wouldn't make sense for the CBA. I would say the timing is tough for the PBL as well as most of their camps are getting started, but doable and a good move since there regular season starts Jan 4. I wonder if this tournament drove the Jan start date?

TheStandard
12-10-2007, 11:06 AM
FIBA has had some speculation of moving next years tournament to October but it sounds like the December start date will be intact.

10k was the entry fee for all of the teams that are in the tourney, but expenses were paid which was a good part.

Did you know that during FIBA Sanctioned tournaments the countries that participate pay an entry fee so costs can be offset for other resources?

The host country is responsible for the venue and also on reserving the hotels. the countries are then to pay for the hotel.

In this tourney, they paid 10k. FIBA took care of the rest.

Venues cost money, transportation, hotel, per diem, food, officials. Pretty big undertaking not only bringing the teams in, but getting them to be in a good place and for the games to be played.

The CBA could have benefited of this, the NBDL would have also.
The ABA please they would have bounced the check

PBL took it. It makes them look good, too bad they are too dumb or lazy to put it on their website. Pretty dumb move of not doing that.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
The CBA could have benefited of this, the NBDL would have also.A D-League composite team took part in the Stankovic Cup over the summer, and that had decent coverage on the net and NBAtv. Apparently they hadn't done something similar since 2001.

It's very tough to get American teams to play tournaments or commit players to them during their regular season. It just doesn't make much sense. I think a CBA team might be able to take part in a preseason tourney, but the D-League's roster assembly/training camp period seems to short to make it work.

PBL took it. It makes them look good, too bad they are too dumb or lazy to put it on their website. Pretty dumb move of not doing that.I agree with that to a certain extent. Maybe it was done more to raise their profile to international players who follow or play in these matches.