PDA

View Full Version : ABA to return to Rochester, NY in 2008

The Sweeper
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007120506006

ABA TO RETURN TO ROCHESTER, NEW YORK IN 2008
05-Dec-2007
Indianapolis, IN -- The American Basketball Association announced that it has approved the move of the Syracuse Raging Bullz to Rochester, NY starting next season.

According to Brad Hester, ABA VP of Operations, "This is a move that has been in the making for sometime. The owner, Rochester businessman Nicholas Fitts, originally wanted to have a team in Rochester, but was willing to try it in Syracuse. It has been a difficult thing for Nick to get a foothold in Syracuse though it is a great basketball city and is well-deserving of a team. He just wants to go home."

"Since I announced I was going to Syracuse, so many fans have asked me to bring the ABA back. They like the exciting, fast paced action of the ABA - and the fan friendly affordability. They really miss it," said Fitts. "We have found a new venue and have put together a tremendous marketing campaign - and will begin play again in 2008. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support that the ABA has given me. We are beginning our marketing on Monday. I would like to thank the people of Syracuse that supported us, however, we gave it our best shot and appreciate all of the help we received there."

"Word leaked out about the possible move," added Hester. "We have already had a very strong group indicate to us that they want to have a team in Syracuse next year and it is likely that we will make an announcement shortly."

a1sports
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Sounds like Corning #2, all he forgot to say is there are 2,000 seson tickets sold and they will beat teams by 100 points. LOL.

TheStandard
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Worst move they will ever make and trust me even city hall is all about the Razorsharks.

So playing at a high school nor a college cuts it in Rochester and having an exclusive contract at the Blue Cross Arena which is something the Shark's have along with the Nighthawks and the Amerks. Oh lord. They will try to railroad but it wont happen. Rochester is not that stupid

panchess
12-06-2007, 11:38 AM
..or a lesson on how not to write a press release, I can count on the ABA...

Sam Hill
12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
"Since I announced I was going to Syracuse, so many fans have asked me to bring the ABA back. They like the exciting, fast paced action of the ABA - and the fan friendly affordability.

Joe Newman absolutely wrote that.

That's the same crap Joe says every time - that he gets an unbelievable number of phone calls and emails and people contacting him to get involved, whether it's to own a team or play in the league or watch it on TV or blah blah blah blah blah. It's crap.

Pounder
12-06-2007, 12:15 PM
There are those days that I strive for inconsistency... or the element of surprise (hoping for the latter).

This isn't one of them.

D.
O.
A.

bdaly
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
From Bob Matthews:

ABA announces return to Rochester — no joke

The American Basketball Association on Wednesday announced that it has approved the move of the Syracuse Raging Bullz to Rochester starting next season. No kidding.

Just what we need. A second minor-league pro basketball team and a second go-around with the ABA (Always Bizarre Association).

The Rochester RazorSharks, one-year removed from the ABA and very happy about that, will open their season in the new Premier Basketball League next month.

According to ABA VP of Operations (now there’s a job I wouldn’t want) Brad Hester, “This is a move that has been in the making for sometime. The owner, Rochester businessman Nicholas Fitts, originally wanted to have a team in Rochester, but was willing to try it in Syracuse. It has been a difficult thing for Nick to get a foothold in Syracuse, though it is a great basketball city and is well-deserving of a team. He just wants to go home.”

Syracuse is a great COLLEGE basketball city, but the NBA Nationals left a long time ago there no longer appears to be a void to fill, if there ever was.

The Raging Bullz went belly-up on Wednesday. They wound up playing six games — four on the road and two at home (before estimated turnouts of 1,200 and 350). The roster started with 11 players and finished with 7, most of whom hope to eventually be paid.

The ABA claims — naturally — that another “very strong group” intends to have an ABA team in Syracuse next season.

I don't think the Razorsharks are nervous. Their only coverage will be from Matthews, and this is the type of coverage they will receive. I look forward to hearing what their venue will be...

tbayz1
12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Just fold and don't come back, its just going to be even worse for this team, idiots

a1sports
12-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I think the ABA Rochester owner, via Syracuse has a better chance with the razorsharks promo than as an ABA team owner, see www.Razorsharks.com.

DazedAndAmused
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
It will be fun get the reports of people in the stands, Razorsharks vs the ABA Bozos: couple to several thousand vs. 50 (if they get local players whose families will come watch them.)

I don't believe this will even be mildly annoying to the Razorsharks. It will in fact make them more big league and will draw the contrast the PBL is looking for in a high profile minor league market.

This is the best marketing campaign the Razorsharks could hope for.

cglue
12-06-2007, 05:34 PM
I told him to make that move right before we played. I dont think it will be that bad but we will soon see. He is at home and it can thrive if he is a successful business man in that area. I dont advise anyone to pay 12k per game for an arena, dont care where it is, its not a good idea.

preeths
12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
If he thought it was tough in Syracuse, wait until he tries Rochester which already has a successful minor league basketball team and a healthy dose of cynicism toward the ABA.

DazedAndAmused
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
If he thought it was tough in Syracuse, wait until he tries Rochester which already has a successful minor league basketball team and a healthy dose of cynicism toward the ABA.
....the whole thing baffles me, but then this is the ABA. It's funny that the fans are "missing" the ABA excitement (per the PR) in Rochester only a couple of weeks per season. ABA basketball must be quite the opiate!

cglue, how many are you drawing per night? just curious. with your activisim on the board my guess is that you are pulling many more in than the average 100 in the ABA per night.

cglue
12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Of course you dont include the first game because some of them are more spectators than true fans(400+). We have been averaging around 200 but Im changing venues for my next game and planning to shoot for over 600. We have a special thing going on here with the rivalry with Tycoons and the last game proved that. It was around 400 at the game in Dallas with a nice atmosphere.

DazedAndAmused
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks for being forthcoming. Even if you could average 400 in the ABA, I think those are stellar numbers that can work longer term with the right cost contraints and sponsorship dollars. Now, if you could only get your fellow owners to perform as well. I still believe that 1000/night are needed in the average market to generate real value in a business sense, but those are challenging numbers even for the upper echilon minor leagues. It is a tough business, even if you have a strong league behind you.

preeths
12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Of course you dont include the first game because some of them are more spectators than true fans(400+). We have been averaging around 200 but Im changing venues for my next game and planning to shoot for over 600. We have a special thing going on here with the rivalry with Tycoons and the last game proved that. It was around 400 at the game in Dallas with a nice atmosphere.

Will your venue change be for the rest of the season?

BigEastBill
12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
cglue, Maybe you should have advised him to pay his players. Would it not be better to pay his players first and then start his new Rochester marketing and promotions. http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1196935466171180.xml&coll=1

Do you think it is right that these players saw no money at all. How will he pay the Rochester team players. I don't get it.

cglue
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Will your venue change be for the rest of the season?

There is a couple of things that coach and myself are pondering at this moment. Should we set it up like a tour or just stay put. I dig what Vermont is doing and I wouldnt mind playing them this season but oh well.

a1sports
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I haven't seen a dollar since I (started) working with them last January," said Ferris, a Liverpool native. "It's been awful. Guys haven't been happy. To be honest with you, if it wasn't my hometown, I would have left a long time ago. You expect to get what you're owed."

Ferris said the team was down to seven players after starting the season with 11. Patterson was one of those sticking around, despite seeing only $100 of the $350 weekly salary he was supposed to get. Brown had said players were given a choice in deferring their salaries; both Ferris and Patterson said there was no option.

"I've been (upset) over the last month," Patterson said. "I'm past being upset. The owner just doesn't want to do anything."

Ferris said red flags regarding the franchise's professionalism popped up all over the place. He said a group of 15 - including, naturally, tall players - traveled to away games in vans meant to seat 12. He said the Bullz arrived just 10 minutes before the start of their game against the First State Fusion.

In the home game against Montreal, Ferris said players from that team refused to come out for the second half until they were assured that Fitts would pay their hotel tab.

"I felt like I was on a JV team," Ferris said. "It didn't even feel like professional (basketball)."

Newman declined to provide specifics about potential new owners for a local ABA franchise, or when that team might begin play. Ferris held out hope that such a venture could succeed.

"I do know the team would survive in Syracuse if it was run properly," he said. "Then again, I'm from Central New York. I have my close ties here. I don't know."

TheStandard
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
12k for a venue is insane.

Also yeah pay the players if thats true.

Also Larry went to Corning speaks measures because theres teams that dont even want to get on a van to go somewhere else.

So if Larry goes to Vermont, honestly he should be given even more kudos and props for that

BigEastBill
12-06-2007, 06:20 PM
I told him to make that move right before we played. I dont think it will be that bad but we will soon see. He is at home and it can thrive if he is a successful business man in that area. I dont advise anyone to pay 12k per game for an arena, dont care where it is, its not a good idea.
What kind of successful business man does'nt pay his employees.

a1sports
12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
If Larry traveled to play Vermont, I would give Larry props and the address of a psychiatrist. WHY would you go to Vermont? What does playing an ABA game do for anyone? If An ABA ball bounces in an arena is there anyone around who cares? ( borrowed from...if a tree falls in the woods...........)

cglue
12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
cglue, Maybe you should have advised him to pay his players. Would it not be better to pay his players first and then start his new Rochester marketing and promotions. http://www.syracuse.com/poststandard/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1196935466171180.xml&coll=1

Do you think it is right that these players saw no money at all. How will he pay the Rochester team players. I don't get it.

No, its not fair but I mean if he cant afford it then he did best. I mean I have Corning players emailing me but its nothing that I can do. I cant dig myself a deep hole by making promises that I cant keep. Last year was tough for me and thats why I can understand where he is. I think he is going to do right by them but that arena was a big mistake from a business stand point. You guys have to realize this, if you do at least 400 fans per game and your rent per game needs to no more than 700 and you will do well as a minor league franchise.

cglue
12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
If Larry traveled to play Vermont, I would give Larry props and the address of a psychiatrist. WHY would you go to Vermont? What does playing an ABA game do for anyone? If An ABA ball bounces in an arena is there anyone around who cares? ( borrowed from...if a tree falls in the woods...........)

Thats just the way I feel. I want to play the best and right now thats who I feel is the best and plus they are proven. I still believe in this league and know we are going to turn things around. I told you months ago when it was brought to my attention that its not going to happen over night. But just know that its going to happen and you got to admit it, you would watch and probably be at the game. But oh well.

cglue
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
What kind of successful business man does'nt pay his employees.

Thats not success or bad business, thats unfortunate.

cglue
12-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, you lost me a little on this (& it has me a little worried for you):

This is a gold mine that we are sitting

..but i still respect what you are doing and wish you the best. Just don't let the league disrespect you. Letting owners go to another city after folding in one city after a few games is NOT respecting the money you spent to go to NY. This league does owe you more than that and don't let anyone tell you differently.

This is something that everyone needs to be a part of as long as they are on the same page and everyone is benefitting. Thats the only issue that I see, we are on seperate pages, but the conference call that we all had Tuesday was a good start.

TheStandard
12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Good start is better than a never start.

I just really hope someone new takes the reigns and does it the right way

a1sports
12-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok Larry what was good about a conference call where only 20 owners called in? First the owners cant show up physically for an owners meeting NOW they cant even call in !

OK LArry whats so good about Joe spewing his BS....ABA teams are being stolen away by other leagues, ABA has great deals, ABA has TV deals, ABA is in China and finally...ABA EXPANDING !! oh and the big news !! REVENUE SHARING>>>LOL. HE has you guys so hypnotized its a ...hmmm shame? LOL

HOW DOES THIS HELP OWNERS WHO ARE CLUELESS AND HAVE NO MONEY?

DID you notice the PBL signed Kenny Smith? DID you notice CBA has played all its games? SEE WHAT REAL PRO LEAGUES DO? just because Joe and a bunch of you were on a conference call doesnt amount to anything.

cglue
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Man did you see the money line on Timberwolves against the Hawks.

Timberwolves +370, hell I may get a piece of that action dawg, I cant lose right.

cglue
12-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Ok Larry what was good about a conference call where only 20 owners called in? First the owners cant show up physically for an owners meeting NOW they cant even call in !

OK LArry whats so good about Joe spewing his BS....ABA teams are being stolen away by other leagues, ABA has great deals, ABA has TV deals, ABA is in China and finally...ABA EXPANDING !! oh and the big news !! REVENUE SHARING>>>LOL. HE has you guys so hypnotized its a ...hmmm shame? LOL

HOW DOES THIS HELP OWNERS WHO ARE CLUELESS AND HAVE NO MONEY?

DID you notice the PBL signed Kenny Smith? DID you notice CBA has played all its games? SEE WHAT REAL PRO LEAGUES DO? just because Joe and a bunch of you were on a conference call doesnt amount to anything.

If thats all you got from the meeting then you are a shallow person and have no sense of working anything out. Stay a1 and then we can talk thats if you will call me.

TheStandard
12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Man did you see the money line on Timberwolves against the Hawks.

Timberwolves +370, hell I may get a piece of that action dawg, I cant lose right.

I placed a bet already lol. I'm also got a sick bet on the Mayweather fight.

Back to basketball.

Who cares if it was 20 owners at least those are the 20 that do care

Paul S
12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Hatton. The smart money is on Hatton

cglue
12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Paul,

I just read your signature line and you are a wild man. Now thats a classic if I have ever heard one. And I will take your advise, "Never Build An Arena On A Hill."

The Magician
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
According to Brad Hester, ABA VP of Operations, "This is a move that has been in the making for sometime. The owner, Rochester businessman Nicholas Fitts, originally wanted to have a team in Rochester, but was willing to try it in Syracuse. It has been a difficult thing for Nick to get a foothold in Syracuse though it is a great basketball city and is well-deserving of a team. He just wants to go home."

Start a team in Rochester ... Pure Spite on behalf of the ABA CEO.

"Since I announced I was going to Syracuse, so many fans have asked me to bring the ABA back. They like the exciting, fast paced action of the ABA - and the fan friendly affordability. They really miss it," said Fitts.

Yeah Right! Maybe you should have been paying attention to what was going on in Syracuse.

"We have found a new venue and have put together a tremendous marketing campaign - and will begin play again in 2008. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support that the ABA has given me. We are beginning our marketing on Monday.

Hmm ... Since you were so busy with your marketing plan in Rochester, what were you doing to try to be successful in Syracuse?

I would like to thank the people of Syracuse that supported us, however, we gave it our best shot and appreciate all of the help we received there."

You gave it your best shot ... I doubt that.

"Word leaked out about the possible move," added Hester. "We have already had a very strong group indicate to us that they want to have a team in Syracuse next year and it is likely that we will make an announcement shortly."

And this NEW group that you are about to announce has learned what?

cglue
12-06-2007, 08:11 PM
I placed a bet already lol. I'm also got a sick bet on the Mayweather fight.

Back to basketball.

Who cares if it was 20 owners at least those are the 20 that do care

And the owners that couldnt call already shared with me and others that thy had a prior meeting. It was a nice meeting and there are more to come. A1, if you hate the league so much, why do you find yourself around us and always snooping in and listenig to our meetings. If we are such a shameful league, wouldnt you want to stay clear of us.

It makes me wonder.

a1sports
12-06-2007, 08:24 PM
stay clear? of an injustice? of IMO fraud? Larry, this is the final time I respond to you. Obvioulsy you have no idea of what the ABA is and what it has done to many fine basketball players, families, sponsors and owners out there.

I feel sorry for you..I really do. May you find what you really seek in life.

Good Luck

cglue
12-06-2007, 08:36 PM
stay clear? of an injustice? of IMO fraud? Larry, this is the final time I respond to you. Obvioulsy you have no idea of what the ABA is and what it has done to many fine basketball players, families, sponsors and owners out there.

I feel sorry for you..I really do. May you find what you really seek in life.

Good Luck

I mean was that the answer? That was I simple question and you didnt even answer it.

Look, if you despise this God awful league then why do you snoop around at our meetings. I mean were you a sponsor that got burnt and you have this hidden agenda to sink the league or did you just devote your soul to go anti-Alex Wolfe.

Let me know please. And dont respond by trying to dig dirt on me, just a clear explaination of why.

bdaly
12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Assuming this isn't a joke (one can hold out hope), this is a perfect example of why the ABA is doomed to embarassing season after embarassing season. The Razorsharks moved out of the ABA largely because of teams that couldn't fulfill their obligations. This Syracuse teams goes and fails miserably: they cancelled games, cut their roster down, didn't pay players, arrived minutes before road games, and shoved 15 players in vans meant for 12. In a nutshell, they did everything you shouldn't do. And, instead of the ABA cutting ties with them because of their embarassing actions, they encourage them to return. Any limited media coverage they receive will surely mention these facts, and this is from a local media that began begging ownership to leave this league for exactly these reasons.

It's mind boggling. But, in all likelihood they won't play a game. The creditors are surely chasing him down already. But, it's sad, because moves like this prove that the ABA just doesn't have a chance (at least under the current leadership), despite the handful of owners who are doing things the right way. He embarassed the league and he's being welcomed to do it again. Amazing.

tops804
12-06-2007, 11:21 PM
This league is talking 2008 expansion...When it can't even get itself through 2007.

Joe spin:
Any sunshine to deter from the disaster that is currently happening...

Next up: Will they try to get Rochester in this season? Say around PBL time?

robster2001
12-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Why stop here?

When will Joe announce teams in Rochester, Michigan? Rochester, Indiana? Rochester, New Hampshire? Rochester, Pennsylvania? The Village of Rochester, Illinois?

And, for his international delusi--aspirations, Rochester, Kent, England? The team would play, of course, in Munich.

tops804
12-07-2007, 12:08 AM
We probably haven't heard the last of this yet...Next, we will hear that the
Fire are returning next season...(or this season):)

Nothing like a Fire/Raging Bullz game...

Headline:Rochester a no show in Rochester Tonight...

BreakersFan
12-07-2007, 10:51 AM
We probably haven't heard the last of this yet...Next, we will hear that the
Fire are returning next season...(or this season):)

Nothing like a Fire/Raging Bullz game...

Headline:Rochester a no show in Rochester Tonight...

That's already been done when in the ABA when Chicago couldn't travel across town to play Chicago.

Seriously, I expect this new Rochester ABA team to pack in thousands of fans. It will be a great western NY division having Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo, and of course, a new team in Corning....

bomp
12-07-2007, 03:19 PM

If you don't get paid, you don't show up for work. You find another job.

These players are not helping the situation by acting like idiots. They are not children.

TEN
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
cglue asks why A1 cares about what the ABA does?

Probably for the same reason I do....Although I don't post about it...

I've been involved in minor league basketball during the past 20 years and have seen what the ABA is doing to KILL it. At this rate, only the D-League will be able to survive a minor league hoops world that has had multiple solid markets poisoned by this joke of a league.

I know players who have been screwed over and heard their stories personally (dating back to the illustrious ABA 2000)....Coaches...etc.

I can't believe that this league gets any positive local media coverage at all...

a1sports
12-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Pucko's Perspectives
by Bill Pucko
Published Dec 06, 2007

FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME
News that the American Basketball Association might be headed back to Rochester was greeted here with a groan.

We were supposed to have left that chapter of our sports history behind us. The Hrywnak brothers brought professional basketball back to town two years ago. The Rochester Razorsharks were born. Not only were the Sharks ABA champs in their first season, they were considered the best run franchise in the league.

That wasn't saying much.

The ABA is about as difficult to join as a semi-private golf club. Your check is your resume. As a result, the ABA attracted a bunch of fly by night operations.

Teams in this loose association routinely folded. In 2006, the top ranked team in the league declined to participate in the playoffs. Last year the top ranked Razorsharks tired of the way the ABA was run and quit prior to their own title defense. They helped form the new Premier Basketball League which begins play next month.

Enter the Syracuse Raging Bullz. They play four ABA games in this their first season. Two at home. Don't draw flies. Announce they've suspended operations.

Surprise. Another ABA team goes under. Except that owner, Nicholas Fitts, decides he'd like to try again next year. Here. And the ABA says OK.

If there really is a sucker born every minute, are we it? Someone thinks so.

bdaly
12-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Tons of buzz in town regarding the new team. Oh wait, it's just been a few sarcastic mentions like this one. ;)

The ABA doesn't stand a chance, and the R-Sharks knew critical media coverage regarding the league stood in their way of further growth last year.

a1sports
12-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Getting blogs etc sent to me from Rochester, New York. will share a few;

" ABA should stay out of a real sports city, go and play in Andersenville"

" What? the ABA again? So who out there wants to play basketball for free?"

" So I guess that means Joe Newman is still around soiling basketball in the USA. Why does this circus act still travel the country?"

" This has to be a joke. There is no way anyone would go watch the ABA barnshow"

Seems to me the fans of Rochester are pretty sports smart. Good for them.

cglue
12-07-2007, 05:55 PM
cglue asks why A1 cares about what the ABA does?

Probably for the same reason I do....Although I don't post about it...

I've been involved in minor league basketball during the past 20 years and have seen what the ABA is doing to KILL it. At this rate, only the D-League will be able to survive a minor league hoops world that has had multiple solid markets poisoned by this joke of a league.

I know players who have been screwed over and heard their stories personally (dating back to the illustrious ABA 2000)....Coaches...etc.

I can't believe that this league gets any positive local media coverage at all...

If you despise and hate your ex-wife and cant stand to stay in the same room with her. Are you going to break your neck to tap her phone or even chase her across the city to only find out what she is conversating about during her break.

Thats all Im saying TEN. Why is he popping up at our meetings and conference calls if you hate us so much? It just doesnt make sense.

Pounder
12-07-2007, 06:08 PM
If the ex-wife has a habit of poaching and moving on, and the authorities aren't hauling her in right away, this looks exactly like what could happen.

BTW, just an observation: other than the "being free of the *****" part, divorce sucks.

a1sports
12-07-2007, 06:33 PM
For the record, I was not on your conference calls. BUT, I do have enough contacts in the ABA that called me AND TOLD ME !!. Besides, even if I had no one and you said the ABA had a meeting or a conference call, the same thing would be said as the previous 5 years, Joe is a salesman he needs you to hold on to something, thats why the speech never changes....

JOE: Im so excitied about whats going to happen in the ABA this year ( plug in any year)

I have an exciting announcement that I will share next week( plug in any year)

WE will begin revenue sharing ( plug in any year)

WE are excited about expansion ( plug in any year)

etc etc etc............ too bad he hurt so many people....shameful

Paul S
12-07-2007, 06:59 PM
The ABA is about as difficult to join as a semi-private golf club. Your check is your resume

Boy thats a real knock against semi-private golf clubs.

Larry ,TEN is/was involved with the USBL, he knows what hes' talking about and has a genuine love of the game. Its that valuation of the game of basketball that some people on here angry at the ABA.

There are towns, cities and human beings across America, and Canada, and Mexico, and possibly soon in the Bahamas + Singapore, that have been really burnt by the ABA. They are not going to forget it either.

Thanks to this league other leagues, who run first rate operations will be behind the 8-ball thanks to the previous ABA teams 'scorched-earth' policy.

Thing is its not Joe per se that has done this. Its the mental midgets, halfwits and brain-dead idiots that Joe has scrounged up that have done this. Joe has simply given honest people who are seriously out of their depth (ie the lawnmower boy), good owners and people who are crooks a platform to all meet and greet.

I can understand you defending the ABA Larry, I really can, if I was in your shoes I would do it too, as I have an intrinsic stake in the league. But its not you and guys like you that are the problem. Your problem will come unfortunately, probably when you have a home game against ________ (insert any team not named Vermont, Montreal or Manchester here) and they cancel out on you. So you either have to rustle up Hanks Hammers again or ****-can the entire night. Its not fair to you to run a real organization in a circus.

cglue
12-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Arkansas and Pine Bluff did that to me a few times last year and tried to blame it all on us.

I never understand how a mans fault is mine, but thats what pride will do sometimes.

a1sports
12-08-2007, 05:10 PM
http://blog.syracuse.com/wtvh/2007/12/raging_bullz_cancel_season.html

No one got paid..........oh yea..Joe did !!

utahstarsticketholder
12-08-2007, 05:30 PM
having read you responses to a1sports, I have a question. Do you think that a league has no responsibility to the better owners and teams in this "league"? Seem to me you would encourage Ole Joe to ban anyone who leaves town in the dead of night leaving fans, player, vendors and communities holding the bag! Instead you make light of their plight? Seem to me that each owner needs a stable league office to insure your teams success. But hey what do I know! I was dumb enough to buy season tickets to a rec league team here in Salt Lake! jack

tops804
12-11-2007, 12:10 AM
http://news10now.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=129381

11:56 pm

Two teams, one city
Updated: 12/10/2007 9:18 AM
By: Casey Bortnick

ROCHESTER, N.Y.— Professional basketball in Rochester has a rich history. But after 20 years without a team, Rochester will now have two.

Nicholas Fitts is moving the ABA’s Syracuse Raging Bullz to his hometown.

"I didn't get the fan support in Syracuse. But I figured I could market it better here in Rochester," Fitts said.

Starting in November of 2008, the team will play half of its 36 game schedule at the Main Street Armory.

"We do know that ABA basketball did do well here once upon a time and we just feel it can do well again," said Raging Bullz General Manager Michael Brown.

But the last Rochester franchise to play in the ABA hasn't left our city.

Just a few days ago, the Syracuse Raging Bullz announced they were canceling the rest of their season. But starting next fall, the team will move to Rochester, making two pro basketball teams fighting for the loyalty of local fans. Can the two teams co-exist? Casey Bortnick has the story. "The Razorsharks are here and we're not going anywhere," said Rochester Razorsharks owner Orest Hrywnak.

After two seasons the Razorsharks jumped to the new Premiere Basketball League.

"We left the ABA because of the mismanagement," Hrywnak said.

Hrywnak says his old league has made things personal.

"They're trying to get back at us, some way some how. I don't know why. I don't know what we did. But of all the markets in the United States to put an ABA team here, doesn't make any sense," says Hrywnak.

The Razorsharks open the season in January. The team will play ten games at the Blue Cross Arena. Factor in the cost of playing here, with player salaries and other expenses and Hrywnak says running a successful sports team isn't cheap.

"The first year was $1.5 million. Last year was $1.3 million to keep the product running the way I've kept the team running. So it's quite expensive," he says.

So why start such an expensive venture in a town that already has a pro-basketball team?

"It's a fair question. My response is why not Rochester?" said Brown.

Fitts is convinced there is enough room in this town for both teams.

"If you love basketball, you can come watch our team or you can go watch the Razorsharks," Fitts said.

I just don't understand the logic...This league is on the brink of collapse, and
someone is talking about next year. Hasn't the Rochester media learned
from last year?

Next will be folded franchises moving to Rockford, Reading, Quad City, Wilmington,
Jacksonville and Rockville Maryland...