PDA

View Full Version : PBL offers to buy the CBA

a1sports
11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
From a good source, The PBL has offered to buy the CBA. More details to follow as they come my way.

The Magician
11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
From a good source, The PBL has offered to buy the CBA.

Very interesting ...

heavesrock
11-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes, but do we really need this on 3 different sections?

a1sports
11-27-2007, 06:06 AM
Do we need to hear about the team in no where land with a non regulation court with an owner who wouldnt stand up to Joe and now this league he is in is a sham in the sporting world? NO games, teams folding from the start of a season, owners using their own refs instead of the rec league refs, non league teams comming in to play, etc etc etc??? enough is enough. the joke has gone on too long.

Pounder
11-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Do we need to hear about the team in no where land with a non regulation court with an owner who wouldnt stand up to Joe and now this league he is in is a sham in the sporting world? NO games, teams folding from the start of a season, owners using their own refs instead of the rec league refs, non league teams comming in to play, etc etc etc??? enough is enough. the joke has gone on too long.

This is neither relevant to YOUR topic nor to heavesrock's question. Never mind that heavesrock is a Charlton fan, he's got a point. :D

The trick to this is to know how much cash Doyle has and how much is being OFFERED for the CBA. Nothing about the ABA matters to this issue.

heavesrock
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Exactly, that was totally irrelevant. And when did a non-league team come into play? Just making a point that this really isn't needed on three boards.

As for Charlton, we'll be baaaaaaaaack.

a1sports
11-27-2007, 05:45 PM
A bunch of guys from a rec league in Indinana came to play the ABA rec league team the Chicago throwbacks. For sure once maybe twice....

anything else?

heavesrock
11-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Maybe some fries?

Pounder
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM
You're completely fixated, aren't you a1?

Pinch yourself.

Congrats to several organizations for getting out of that ABA cesspool.

NOW...

...the PBL has to put up or shut up. Being "not the ABA" is no longer the issue; that, in itself, WILL NOT SELL ONE TICKET (certainly "being the ABA" doesn't sell any tickets). Being "a viable PBL" is the issue, and that takes a lot of effort. Not everyone is convinced that we're seeing an effective effort. If there's actually an effort to buy the CBA, I argue that- at the least- this takes away from Job 1. An established PBL can talk about buying off CBA teams, because CBA teams will probably talk then. Sell tickets first, buy established teams later. Simple.

a1sports
11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
and you know this is the proper way to conduct business because your an expert in ?? pro sports franchising? running a pro league? maybe a lemonade stand ? Lets leave the business moves to business men, not the posters( including me) on OSC.

Alumni96
11-27-2007, 09:10 PM
You're completely fixated, aren't you a1?

Pinch yourself.

His handle should be changed from a1sports to The boy who cried Wolff. :D

not so fast
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I have heard from a good source that the PBL is very serious about buying the CBA and that the Chairman of the PBL does have the money to buy it. In actualality we are more than likely looking at a merger for next season, which would make sense. I am not sure why the PBL owners didnt just join the CBA originally.

In addition, if that happens, the new league CBA/PBL will actually have a great chance to compete with the D-League. The NBA still does not get it. The D-league talent, and the way they run the league is really suspect.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2007, 02:19 PM
The NBA still does not get it. The D-league talent, and the way they run the league is really suspect.Please expand upon this claim. I'd like to hear your reasoning for this.

not so fast
11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Gladly, the d-league talent has went down over the past two years, and this year its at an all time low. Chris alpert is thier basketball guro who selects all the players. Whats his qualifications and whats the criteria of selection?

The amount of rules they have for player selections are way too much. It is much too complicated. I dont' know, how about this: The best 10 players in camp get the job? that is not how it works in the D-league.

TopSpin
11-29-2007, 10:53 AM
I have heard from a good source that the PBL is very serious about buying the CBA and that the Chairman of the PBL does have the money to buy it. In actualality we are more than likely looking at a merger for next season, which would make sense. I am not sure why the PBL owners didnt just join the CBA originally. I can answer that one. They wanted more control over the league, coming off that dysfunctional ABA league. CBA is not going to give up the way they run things. PBL can write their own rules, start their own league, and not have to pay the huge franchise fee the CBA wants. The PBL in a nutshell wants the established CBA teams but they don't want the CBA brass.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Gladly, the d-league talent has went down over the past two years, and this year its at an all time low. Chris alpert is thier basketball guro who selects all the players. Whats his qualifications and whats the criteria of selection?Mostly whoever wanted to pass up the salaries in Europe or elsewhere from what I've seen. It's not like all the great players ended up in the ABA. Who exactly are they missing?

The amount of rules they have for player selections are way too much. It is much too complicated. I dont' know, how about this: The best 10 players in camp get the job? that is not how it works in the D-league. I certainly have no idea about the process, so if you would like to explain it to me, I'd appreciate it.

DazedAndAmused
11-30-2007, 07:26 PM
A1 definitely over compensates in his criticism of Wolff. It would be interesting to know what Vermont's long term intentions are. Because I have to believe that Wolff is not stupid, his only possible plan could be to stick it out one more year, try to keep cancelled games to a minimum, and either get to another league next yr (CBA, Dleague, PBL) or just cease operations going out as a "winner", although it would be a hollow victory as wins in the ABA are not really respected. I hope he gets his team to another league next year to play with real professionals.

zeke41
11-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Just a hunch, but I think the silence of the PBL is going to be golden. I'll bet they are about to change the minds of everyone who is doubting them of their success.