PDA

View Full Version : PBL and USA Basketball

panchess
11-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Several people on the board at various times have stated that the PBL is a FIBA league through USA Basketball. I can't find any evidence of that, though.

The CBA is a member in good standing. So is the D-League. The rest of the minor leagues in the country (IBL, USBL, WBA, ABA) are not.

Nothing on the new PBL web site indicates a link to USA Basketball either.

Any proof?

DazedAndAmused
11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Good question. I know a GM for one of the PBL teams and will ask what he knows. I know that they (not sure if they means a league rep or an overzealous, unconnected poster) have been touting this relationship months ago.

preeths
11-15-2007, 04:00 PM
TheStandard, do you have more info on this? Isn't a PBL team appearing in some tournament next month? Is that a FIBA thing?

panchess
11-15-2007, 06:38 PM
There are associate members of USA Basketball, including the Harlem Globetrotters, Athletes in Action and the US Wheelchair Basketball Association. The NCAA is also a member.

While the NCAA exhibition rules change did clean out a lot of the phony exhibitions and illicit dealings, the one change I wish they would make would be to allow exhibitions with USA Basketball members. I loved the Globetrotters series with college teams, and think it would be possible to schedule CBA exhibitions with some college teams in their area, which I think the fans would like.

Here is the list of members from the USA Basketball web site:

USA BASKETBALL ACTIVE MEMBERS

Amateur Athletic Union (AAU)
Continental Basketball Association (CBA)
National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC)
National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)
National Basketball Association (NBA)
National Basketball Development League (NBDL)
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
National Federation of State High School Associations (NFSHSA)
National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA)
National Pro-Am City League Association, Inc.
National Wheelchair Basketball Association (NWBA)
U.S. Armed Forces
USA Deaf Sports Federation(USADSF)
Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA)
Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA BASKETBALL ASSOCIATE MEMBERS

Athletes in Action (AIA)
California Community College Athletics (CCCA)
Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA)
Harlem Globetrotters
Latin-American Basketball League of Los Angeles, CA
National Amateur Basketball Association (NABA)
National Junior College Basketball Coaches Association (NJCBCA)
National Junior College Women's Basketball Coaches Association (NJCWBCA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA BASKETBALL AFFILIATE MEMBERS

Basketball Travelers, Inc.
International Sports Exchange
Sport Tours International, Inc.

one way
11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
just because you are playing in the Tournament, does not make you a member of FIBA. Anyone can play and that is evident of the ABA team the Tropics. All it is is a round robin tournment. You have to petition FIBA for membership and then granted membership. As of rigt now the PBL is not a member of FIBA. I said that two months ago and I say it again now. Some of these PBL coaches and owners do not even know what FIBA does for the league. Some of these teams do not even have player contracts ready. Some of these teams do not even fly guys into camp, they expect players to pay their own way. Some of these teams do not have venues to play in. Some of these teams are paying players between 200 to 400 per week per player with never even having the thought of signing pr paying thta NBA high money player. The PBL will play this year, but it will not be the Premier league. I said it before and I will say it again, it takes allot of money and knowledge to start and run a league properly. The PBL is nothing more that former ABA owners who are made at Joe and want to do things their own way. They were taught be Joe and the have the same kind of ABA thinking

DazedAndAmused
11-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Let's break down a few statements from one way:

Some of these PBL coaches and owners do not even know what FIBA does for the league. Probably true. The FIBA effort I am told is being driven at the league level as it is believed to be good for the league long term (which of course it is.) I personally don't know the full process or how long it takes.

Some of these teams do not even fly guys into camp, they expect players to pay their own way. True also from what I hearing. Some guys are. Some guys aren't.

Some of these teams do not have venues to play in. This is not true. Call the teams or call the league office to verify.

Some of these teams are paying players between 200 to 400 per week per player with never even having the thought of signing pr paying thta NBA high money player. I'll bet that this is true. Highest I have heard is $850/week for one team I follow. These teams nor those in the ABA or CBA can afford to pay high salaries. None of them make money and the financials don't add up.

The PBL will play this year, but it will not be the Premier league. I'll defer my judgment until season's end and not crucify them until they deserve it like others.

The PBL is nothing more that former ABA owners who are made at Joe and want to do things their own way. I'm sure that there is no love loss between Joe and some of the PBL ring leaders, but I don't think any of them wanted to run a league. The team I follow most closely didn't want to go another year of musical schedules, even though they had no animosity toward Joe or love of the rebels. It was really that simple.

TheStandard
11-16-2007, 09:23 PM
http://www.fibaamericas.com/FAL-fiba%20americas%20banner.gif

ok to clear everyone's doubts right now.

The FIBA Americas league/tournament is sanctioned by FIBA and the teams come from the leagues that are governed by FIBA Branches (USA Basketball being one of them) to represent the country in this event.

The Miami Tropics are coming through the AAU & Athletes in Action Branch via USA Basketball
The PBL is coming through the USA Basketball Branch.

USA Basketball has not updated their page in a very long long time.

Is the PBL a FIBA Americas Member? Yes. You have to apply through USA Basketball but also you can through FIBA Americas since FIBA Americas is one of the two FIBA Sections that are allowed to ratify and approve leagues.

The PBL through its membership now gets rights to see their players go to other teams and get compensated for it monetarily or through player exchanges.

On December 4th at 7pm Atlantic Time, 6pm Eastern, 3pm Pacific Time. The PBL Allstars will play The Santiago Metros of the Dominican Pro League aka LIDOBA.

They will also have games on the 6th and the 7th.

If they end up in the Top two in their bracket they go down to the next regional.

Note: Venenzuela will be fined and sanctioned for not allowing its teams to participate in the league.

USA Basketball had a hard time trying to get the CBA or the D-League to do this tournament even when FIBA was paying for everything. D-League from what i was told wanted the tournament to be held in the US and wanted the tournament to be in April. BSN objected to this as they are in mid season during that time.

Politics as usual.

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA Americas League) - FIBA Americas President, Julio Subero, launched the FIBA Americas League 2007/2008 and also announced the schedule for the event. The presentation was done at the Hilton Hotel in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Many members of the media and local personalities were in the event.

FIBA Americas Vice President, Horacio Muratore, Secretary General, Alberto Garcia, head coach of the Argentinean National Team Sergio Hernandez and Boca Juniors players Leo Gutierrez were in the presentation.

The structure of the league was presented as it features 16 teams of America and the tournament begins on December 4 in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico.

All the games are going to be televised by FOX Sports for all America.

The schedule is as follows:

Group A - Guaynabo, Puerto Rico - Coliseo Quijote Morales

4-Dec 7:00pm Chicago All Star - USA Metros Santiago – DOM
4-Dec 9:10pm Cangrejeros de Santurce - PUR Soles Mexicali – MEX
6-Dec 7:00pm Metros Santiago - DOM Soles Mexicali – MEX
6-Dec 9:10pm Chicago All Star - USA Cangrejeros de Santurce – PUR|
7-Dec 7:00pm Soles Mexicali - MEX Chicago All Star – USA
7-Dec 9:10pm Cangrejeros de Santurce - PUR Metros Santiago - DOM

Group B - Miami, USA - Florida International University

11-Dec 6:00pm Capitanes Arecibo - PUR Fuerza Regia – MEX
11-Dec 8:10pm Miami Tropics - USA Halcones Xalapa – MEX
12-Dec 6:00pm Halcones Xalapa - MEX Capitanes Arecibo – PUR
12-Dec 8:10pm Fuerza Regia - MEX Miami Tropics – USA
13-Dec 6:00pm Fuerza Regia - MEX Halcones Xalapa – MEX
13-Dec 8:10pm Miami Tropics - USA Capitanes Arecibo – PUR

Group C - Belo Horizonte, Brazil

18-Dec 7:00pm Defensor Sporting - URU Boca Juniors – ARG
18-Dec 9:10pm Minas Tenis Club - BRA Flamengo- BRA
19-Dec 7:00pm Boca Juniors - ARG Flamengo- BRA
19-Dec 9:10pm Defensor Sporting – URU Minas Tenis Club – BRA
20-Dec 7:00pm Flamengo- BRA Defensor Sporting – URU
20-Dec 9:10pm Minas Tenis Club - BRA Boca Juniors - ARG

Group D - Mar del Plata, Argentina - Polideportivo Municipal

8-Jan 8:00pm Libertad Sunchales - ARG Universo Brasilia – BRA
8-Jan 10:10pm Penarol Mar del Plata – ARG Liceo Mixto – CHI
9-Jan 8:00pm Universo Brasilia - BRA Liceo Mixto – CHI
9-Jan 10:10pm Libertad Sunchales - ARG Penarol Mar del Plata – ARG 10-Jan 8:00pm Liceo Mixto - CHI Universo Brasilia – BRA
10-Jan 10:10pm Penarol Mar del Plata - ARG Minas Tenis Club – BRA

Quarter Finals

14-Jan B-2 A-1
21-Jan A-1 B-2
22-Jan A-1 B-2

16-Jan A-2 B-1
23-Jan B-1 A-2
24-Jan B-1 A-2

15-Jan D-2 C-1
22-Jan C-1 D-2
23-Jan C-1 D-2

17-Jan C-2 D-1
24-Jan D-1 C-2
25-Jan D-1 C-2

Final Four
8-Feb Game 1
8-Feb Game 2
9-Feb Game 3
9-Feb Game 4

The Quater Final Regionals will be held in Puerto Rico, Mexico, Argentina and Brazil

The Finals will be in Argentina as they are the host of the Final Four

Puerto Rico has been given the 2008-2009 Final Four

Mexico 2009-2010

Brazil 2010-2011

TopSpin
11-26-2007, 06:47 AM
The PBL is nothing more that former ABA owners who are made at Joe and want to do things their own way. They were taught be Joe and the have the same kind of ABA thinkingWhat's wrong with that? What's wrong with taking into consideration failures from others before you? Lord knows that the ABA made a lot of mistakes when it comes to running a league.

I think these guys got a very good plan. As long as they don't try to grow too fast, stick to their guns, double check teams financially before letting them in. Give you one example I know of. The high franchise team price is partly used to buy plane tickets for all the teams to make their road games. So, if the team management fails, the league takes over the team and ensures players still make said games. This guarantees teams that there will be games played on the scheduled. I think the PBL has a better than normal chance to succeed. It won't take them long to be in unknown territory where they will have to draw on their own ability to stay afloat.

Taking into account the failures experienced in the ABA is a very good start in my opinion.

bdaly
11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Even further, I always enjoyed watching the strong ABA franchises. It was the teams that would show up with six guys that created an inconsistent experience on the floor. In general, it got to the point where I knew what teams wouldn't bring guys, so I knew which games to skip. You could count on Newark and Montreal to always bring six (maybe seven), so I avoided those games. I always said if I could see the top 10-15 ABA teams each night, it would be a solid product. And, to a degree, that's what has been done here. Teams like Jacksonville, Wilmington, Maryland, and Rochester always did things the right way.

Speaking of doing things the right way, the Razorsharks placed a full page ad in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle's sports section on Thanksgiving:

http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/images/razorsharks_ad.jpg

They have a pretty nice promotions schedule lined up for the entire season. For the most part, the other PBL teams look prepared. Chicago needs to get a site going ASAP and Quad Cities needs to update their site. Otherwise, things look fairly good.

logoguru
11-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Speaking of doing things the right way, the Razorsharks placed a full page ad in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle's sports section on Thanksgiving:

http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/images/razorsharks_ad.jpg

Anyone notice the secondary in that ad? Wow! Money for a secondary! Now thats light years ahead of the ABA.
________
Colorado Marijuana Dispensary (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)