PDA

View Full Version : D-League in Harlem?

Minor League Man
11-12-2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/sports/basketball/12rhoden.html?_r=2&ref=ba&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

I'm sorry, but when I think Harlem basketball, this is what I think:

(spins ball on finger, whistling "Sweet Georgia Brown")

jjbballfan
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
This just sounds dumb, first of all you would be putting a team in a 3,000 seat pos stadium, second of all you would be in HARLEM where it would be very hard to make money, 3rd of all I never liked the idea of having a minor league team in a city because it doesn't make sense to send kids down there, I look at sending them down to find them self to get out of the city and go to some rural area and play, something you won't be able to do in Harlem.... Its statements like this that make me wonder if Stern is all there upstairs.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I think it's a good idea, one of the better ideas for getting the D-League in the east. Let the Knicks or Nets buy a team and put it there. It's ridiculous that they currently have to send players down to Tulsa and Broomfield. Looks like the armory would be an easier fit since it was recently renovated for spots use. A new Ren team there would be a feather in the cap for a place that was a homeless shelter a few years ago.

bectond
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
This just sounds dumb, first of all you would be putting a team in a 3,000 seat pos stadium, second of all you would be in HARLEM where it would be very hard to make money, 3rd of all I never liked the idea of having a minor league team in a city because it doesn't make sense to send kids down there, I look at sending them down to find them self to get out of the city and go to some rural area and play, something you won't be able to do in Harlem.... Its statements like this that make me wonder if Stern is all there upstairs.

The average home in Harlem cost 2 mil. If the residents can afford to spend 2mil on a brownstone, then i'm sure they can afford to buy a minor league basketball ticket. Yoo're acting as if they are planning on putting the team in Brownsville. With the Knicks tied-in, selling 2,500 tickets won't be a problem.
Plus, the jerseys would fly off the shelves at the NBA store.

Sending them down means...more minutes, being the focal point of the offense, regaining some confidence. I like the idea of the minor league team being near the parent club.

jjbballfan
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
The average home in Harlem cost 2 mil. If the residents can afford to spend 2mil on a brownstone, then i'm sure they can afford to buy a minor league basketball ticket. Yoo're acting as if they are planning on putting the team in Brownsville. With the Knicks tied-in, selling 2,500 tickets won't be a problem.
Plus, the jerseys would fly off the shelves at the NBA store.

Sending them down means...more minutes, being the focal point of the offense, regaining some confidence. I like the idea of the minor league team being near the parent club.

since you probally know more about NY then I do I will trust you but I still don't know about this....