PDA

View Full Version : This is an exhibition game!

tbayz1
11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3556338

Good Job Rockford!

DazedAndAmused
11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Marketing a high profile exhibition game 1 month before there season starts is a great idea. Smart PBL teams might use the month of Dec before their season starts to schedule these types of games. If they choose, they could get over the issue of the late start this way and have a little fun doing it. Military All Star teams and a few of the other exhibition squads or even internation squads would be good preseason match ups. Very smart. Good job Rockford.

one way
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
So, if the game is one month before the start of the season then this will certainly be a well financed effort. Ten players at 500 per week is 5000 per week. Four weeks of presseason is 20,000. Count in housing and perdiem. That certainly is an expensive preseason game. Tack on the cost of the renting the facility and game staff. Do you think that they will make that back in ticket sales? Just curious.

DazedAndAmused
11-06-2007, 03:09 PM
So, if the game is one month before the start of the season then this will certainly be a well financed effort. Ten players at 500 per week is 5000 per week. Four weeks of presseason is 20,000. Count in housing and perdiem. That certainly is an expensive preseason game. Tack on the cost of the renting the facility and game staff. Do you think that they will make that back in ticket sales? Just curious.
OW:
I think that your assumptions (or at least the conclusions you draw from them) are slightly off. Realistically, to account for the holidays, vet camps for these PBL teams probably start in early December (granted only a month after the other leagues, but still a month), so most will be lining up preseason games around mid Dec to tune up for the pending league play. My opinion is that this costs basically nothing...and it sure beats lining up the local Y All Star teams as your preseason game that no one would watch. So, the math as you say really doesn't change. It only improves with the chances of a decent gate. This is a good move by Rockford.

one way
11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
First of all, it cost something. Renting the facility alone costs money. But, if the season starts in Jan. then vets camp is about ten days before the start of camp. You have to pay to get these guys in, pay to feed them, pay the practice facility, etc. What are they going to do after the game and before the season. According to you, you are having a four week vets camp. Believe it or not, it costs money. Housing? Food?

preeths
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Those seem to be relatively small costs in the grand scheme of things. Your final roster doesn't have to be completely set for an exhibition, so I can see them having some guys on the roster just for this game, with maybe a few days of practice. The publicity from the game and the chance to test your game presentation are additional benefits, even if it doesn't make money. I have to agree, good move by Rockford.

DazedAndAmused
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
First of all, it cost something. Renting the facility alone costs money. But, if the season starts in Jan. then vets camp is about ten days before the start of camp. You have to pay to get these guys in, pay to feed them, pay the practice facility, etc. What are they going to do after the game and before the season. According to you, you are having a four week vets camp. Believe it or not, it costs money. Housing? Food?
Sorry one way...I don't think your logic washes here if you really think things through. You have New Year's and Christmas break in there, both holidays that occur mid week, which means you effectively lose any meaningful vet camp time, forcing an earlier start anyway. You simply can't start "10 days" before the first game. (Smart PBL teams would work that into player fees so they are not paying for vacation time, but that's another point.) Good move Rockford.

one way
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
I think that you run your vets camp right through the holidays. Many professional teams play on these holidays. Even colleges play through these holidays. Also, preeths- by having a few of your potential team there, what happens if the play is bad. Possible fans will be turned away because the play is bad. Remember it is the PBL team versus ANd One.

preeths
11-06-2007, 03:42 PM
You obviously do enough to put a good product on the floor, even if that doesn't mean the entire team is there. You really seem to be stretching to find the cloud behind the silver lining on this one.

DazedAndAmused
11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Minor league basketball teams draw terribly on these holidays and their eves. High profile colleges, the NBA, and the NFL are a little different story. We can't compare those apples to our oranges. It doesn't sound like we'll convince each other here, but that's what makes America great. I'd pony up the venue costs for this game in early/mid December.

one way
11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
looks we agree to disagree on this one. If vets camp started on Jan. 4 and the game was on Jan 2 then I would say great. But as it is set up now, in my eyes, this is a poor move (financially and product recognition).

DazedAndAmused
11-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Maybe we can get Rockford on here to post the results, the fanfare, the local effect, etc. Maybe they can also tell us if they incurred extra costs (other than the venue) as a result of playing this game in early Dec. We'll let the facts the decide.

tbayz1
11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Ill think this will bring some good attention to the Fury, people will be curious about the team and want to see AND1, should be a pretty positive move and help the Fury

However, costs are a different story that one way brings up, and he has some good points, but im not going to be critical because I think its good for Rockford

Maybe Tom McGinn should focus on his QC Riverhawks too, like maybe updating their website and get rid of the ABA stuff on it!

bectond
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Maybe we can get Rockford on here to post the results, the fanfare, the local effect, etc. Maybe they can also tell us if they incurred extra costs (other than the venue) as a result of playing this game in early Dec. We'll let the facts the decide.

Isn't one way from Rockford? Was'nt he a huge fan of the former CBA club there? I think he, more than any of us would know if the Fury are making a mistake in that market.

All I know is they better beat that And1 squad -or- they lose all credibility.
Therefore, I'm figuring the Fury have to bring in some Quad City ringers as well to ensure victory. If they pound the hell out of those clowns then yes it's a good move but if the tricksters are bouncing balls off their heads, breaking their ankles and beating them on their home court, well...... then it won't be such a good idea.

DazedAndAmused
11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I think you're right about the risk of losing to them, especially if not a close loss.

But, I didn't see any argument relative to being in Rockford, so even if one way is there, any factors unique to the Rockford market weren't mentioned.

The focus seemed to be on the assumed the extra costs of starting early enough to play this game. My point was that I believe that most of the PBL teams will be starting in early December with vet camp and/or exhibition games...and that this game would be just one of them.

Starting 10 days before games that start January 4 I don't think is reasonable with the holidays or consistent with what most of those teams are actually doing.

Risk of losing aside, the only extra cost here should be the cost of the venue, assuming that you weren't going to play any exhibition game.

Final point being, if you're going to play an exhibition game, you might as well play one that might draw a crowd.

psbf
11-06-2007, 11:53 PM
of playing an exhibition game, to call attention to the teams-thus play in front of a crowd?

a1sports
11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
If the PBL is paying for its teams to travel, then there should be extra capital for each team to use to have exhibition games etc etc.

utahstarsticketholder
11-12-2007, 08:43 PM
that other sham of a league, this is real. An exhibition game with a charity auction after the game to benefit children in a hospital versus Snoop Dawg Clone in concert with the proceeds to fund an egg mcmuffin breakfast! jack
Great work Fury!

one way
11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
talked to a friend today, told me that they will not be playing the AND 1 team that you normally see. This will be the second team or the knock offs that they will be playing. I guess that AND 1 have multiple teams just like the globetrotters. The ones playing in these PBL scrimmages will not be the headliners

DazedAndAmused
11-21-2007, 11:06 AM
There is a rotating cast of players who are scheduled at various games.

I know that a few of them will be also playing in the PBL this year though I do not believe they are the headliners. Only a couple have any real name recognition.

I did see that the Professor is now in the CBA, but I'm not sure if that means he will be giving up any AND1 duties.

not so fast
11-21-2007, 03:18 PM
PBL needs so much work to get off the groung correctly. They have good intentions but they do not have enough people running it that know enough about minorleague basketball to make it the way it needs to be. Also they want to compete with the CBA, well first of all, its not going to have the talent that the CBA has, so it will never be as good as the CBA until it is able to obtain and get better talent than the CBA.

TopSpin
11-26-2007, 06:05 AM
PBL needs so much work to get off the groung correctly. They have good intentions but they do not have enough people running it that know enough about minorleague basketball to make it the way it needs to be. Also they want to compete with the CBA, well first of all, its not going to have the talent that the CBA has, so it will never be as good as the CBA until it is able to obtain and get better talent than the CBA.
Totally disagree, the CBA is not doing anything great to me accept staying afloat. They roll with 2 referee's per game, they can't afford 3. Why would I want to put a team in the CBA? As far as the talent, dude you don't have a clue. There is an unendless supply of talent, unendless.....there is more players then there are teams to play on, why do you think so many of our talented players go overseas?

Alumni96
11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Totally disagree, the CBA is not doing anything great to me accept staying afloat. They roll with 2 referee's per game, they can't afford 3. Why would I want to put a team in the CBA? As far as the talent, dude you don't have a clue. There is an unendless supply of talent, unendless.....there is more players then there are teams to play on, why do you think so many of our talented players go overseas?

Because they get paid more, free room and board, and taxes paid by the teams.

psbf
11-27-2007, 10:46 AM
you want to put a team in the CBA is your choice, Top. But, it is apparent to me, that you don't have a clue about the CBA. Who cares how many officials there are at our games, the ones that I've seen work hard and make good calls. Have you seen any CBA action? My guess is no. Our teams do have talent, which you would know if you had seen a game.

TopSpin
11-28-2007, 05:21 PM
you want to put a team in the CBA is your choice, Top. But, it is apparent to me, that you don't have a clue about the CBA. Who cares how many officials there are at our games, the ones that I've seen work hard and make good calls. Have you seen any CBA action? My guess is no. Our teams do have talent, which you would know if you had seen a game.Who cares how many officials? The teams that dropped out because they paid so much to get in and they watch 2-officials miss at least half the action. PSBF, we can't even cover the action correctly in high school with just 2 officials! So there is no way in the world you going to cover adequately semi-pro men's with 2 officials. No way! Unless of course, the action is just not as good as you seem to think it is. Right there, that little point right there is all I need to know about putting a team in the CBA.

At least the dysfunctional ABA has 3-officials on there games, and let me tell you, they need it. What's the CBA franchise fee, I think 6 figures. I'm going to travel across the US to play a CBA game and it's just 2-officials there. I don't think so. Don't forget, I'm paying my players too. I won't put my players in that environment, and one more thing. Come playoff's they go 3 officials. Now, isn't that about the dumbest thing you ever heard? Now we're going to change the way we call the games in the playoff's.

psbf
11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're apparently pro-ABA. I like the CBA.

TopSpin
11-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't dislike the CBA, I just wouldn't put a team there and I wouldn't recommend to anyone to put a team there. I also would not recommend putting a team in the ABA either.

Pounder
11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
The CBA would have to show me some improvement before I could recommend investing in it. The PBL, right now, more so.

If someone insisted to me that they'd prefer to invest in the ABA, I'd consider, at minimum, corporal punishment. Certainly, I'd tell them I have Uncle Joe's number, then give the fool my number. Heck, I'll just tell you my number and insist that you're better off GIVING ME THE MONEY. By doing nothing but road-trip with it, I'd still provide a better ROI if I take good pictures.

one way
12-08-2007, 11:59 AM
went to the game. about three hundred people there. talked to my people at the box office. they stated that there were 17 paid, the rest were freebies. talked to people in the stands, people were upset that it was not the real and one stars. also it was stated that the level of basketball was bad. not out to fight. just relaying was was relayed to me.

QC_Hawks_fan
12-08-2007, 08:05 PM
105 101 in favor of the Rockford Fury, 350 fans in attendance and almost all were give aways. good ball game played by the Rockford team, fast paced, running, gunning, rebounding, steals good basketball to watch. Some familiar faces from last years team( Sauk Valley Rollers ). I know that if people in the Rockford area get a taste of this they will be back for more, Rockford is a basketball town and they will get behind the team if they produce a solid product.

Tom McGinn, good luck to you and your teams this upcoming season.

Happy holidays

DazedAndAmused
12-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Aaron Owens (also known as AO), Dennis Chism (Spyda), Pat Robinson (Pat Da RocK), Mike Banks (Sky High), Renaldo Johnson (Violator), Robert Martin (50), Marvin Collins (High Rizer) and Quinton Slaughter (Elevator).

tbayz1
12-08-2007, 10:36 PM
hmm the "Ball 4 Real" tour must have gotten a nice offer from AND1 to come back, because when "Ball 4 Real" went on tour this summer, "AO, 50, Spyda, and Pat Da Rock" were all on that team!

Basically all the original guys from AND1 started up Ball 4 Real, and I actually thought it was better, because they actually wanted to play ball, not just entertain

TheStandard
12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Wow. That is the Ball 4 Real Guys for sure. I wonder what happened on that one