PDA

View Full Version : 08' Draft

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-03-2007, 02:45 PM
I think my teams going to be good this year. You better watch out lol we have Darvin Ham Daniel Horton and our local allocates are better then some teams first round picks. We got Elijah Engram from NMSU and Kris Collins from UNM. Watch out D-League:p

abie10
11-03-2007, 04:59 PM
I think Darvin Ham is going to be gone within the first couple weeks that 10 day contracts open up. He is an 8 year vet with a ring and there is a rash of injuries in the league this year.

Might have been smarter to draft someone younger to "develop?" Just my thought...anyway, I have my season tickets in hand and can't wait for first game!

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-03-2007, 09:01 PM
He will be gone indeed but I think we will still have a strong team. Our bench is solid. To bad tony's not coming back :(

jjbballfan
11-04-2007, 03:38 AM
I think this draft is showing why teams have failed.... fans don't care how good a team is they care about 2 things... A did they play at Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, ect. or do they have a chance to be called up to the show..... Most of the draftees were neither.... I understand basketball and understand that a lot of these players perform well in the Dleague because of up tempo type of play and so on. But the fact is I didn't know 5 guys that got drafted and I figure myself to be an above average actually above above average college basketball fan and many of the players I saw in college aren't playing in the NBA, they are going to Europe or they are getting a job and trying either through a summer league or some type of workout to get a gig with an NBA club durring pre-season. If minor league basketball wants to be something they need to recruit more ACC/Big 10/Pac-10 type of players players that people have heard of.... Yakima received a lot of news when Ronny Turioff went there so why can't other people that have made big names in college play in the Dleague.... this isn't just the Dleague either this is the CBA, ABA(if they still exist)PBL, USBL or whatever you want to call them.

DakotaWiz
11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
haha, I don't know about the majority of fans, but I don't care how many names are on the team... If they're good players, and make up a good team, I don't care if they went to North Carolina... If I get a team full of names and we have a losing season, I'm not happy... If I get a team of 10 guys I've never heard of, but they're good, I'm happy..

jjbballfan
11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
haha, I don't know about the majority of fans, but I don't care how many names are on the team... If they're good players, and make up a good team, I don't care if they went to North Carolina... If I get a team full of names and we have a losing season, I'm not happy... If I get a team of 10 guys I've never heard of, but they're good, I'm happy..

I agree with you because I like good basketball I could care less if they came from Montana Tech or if they came from North Carolina all what I am saying is that if there was any way to get more players that more people know about it would help with attendance.

DakotaWiz
11-04-2007, 08:06 PM
That's what helps with the D-League... Players that actually play in the NBA get sent down to D-League teams... I don't really know if there'd be a difference with me more likely to attend a game with nobody from major colleges but a really good game, or two bad teams with one player that was a big deal in college...
To be fair, there are some bigger names that got drafted this year..
Not many casual fans would recognize those names, but most fans of college basketball would recognize them...
Eddie Gill - Colorado
Carlos Powell - Dakota
Darvin Ham - Albuquerque
Nik Caner-Medley - Sioux Falls
Jelani McCoy - Los Angeles
Kedrick Brown - Anaheim
Kevin Kruger - Utah
Ismail Muhammed - Utah
Kevin Pittsnogle - Austin
Jamison Brewer - Bakersfield
Brent Petway - Idaho
Armein Kirkland - Dakota

That's 10 of the 14 teams that drafted a guy from either a bigger college or a guy with NBA experience.. If we throw in allocated guys, we could also include:
Yuta Tabuse - Bakersfield
Keith Langford - Austin
Kaniel Dickens - Colorado
Kevin Bookout - Rio Grande Valley
That's 11 teams with a bigger name or went to a well known basketball college, and fans should also recognize there returning players from last year... Overall, it's not as bad as you make it out to be..

jjbballfan
11-06-2007, 12:54 AM
I hope that the NBA teams actually send down players this year.... last year I was very upset with the Timberwolves not sending down Rashaad McCants... He was coming off of an injury wasn't seeing the floor for the Wolves but should of been playing he would of done great in Sioux Falls but the Timberwolves were so bitter with the Pistons that they wouldn't send down a prospect that needed to play.... all signs this year are saying that the Timberwolves will send down the rookie from Florida this year and I hope that teams are more open to doing that this year...

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
I could care less if the went to Duke. I want good basketball players on my team. Good in the game and off the court.

I was just looking at Ft.Wayne's roster and there going to be good. Here is there 3 headed monster: Larry Turner, Sammy Mejia, and Jeremy Richardson. Wow.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty pleased with the Toros roster as it might end up:

C - Kevin Pittsnogle/Brad Stricker
PF - Anthony Fuqua/Eric Dawson
SF - Justin Bowen/Marcus Williams
SG - Keith Langford/Kenton Paulino
PG - Squeaky Johnson/MaJic Dorsey

Add Darius Washington and Ian Mahinmi from the Spurs and you're looking at a pretty good team. From what I know of the other rosters, the 14ers, Wizards and D-Fenders look like the top teams on paper.

TBirdCrazy
11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
i have to say...i was pretty please with the draft, overall this year. However, i have to say, that my ABQ team, once again, will go through a huge poor shooting year. I just think we like to draft guys who can not shoot at all. look at the guys we drafted and there FG%...yuk! You would think, also, with our new coach, he would have chosen big guys. But no, much to my liking, he chose smaller, athletic guys, with of course that one NBA mentor in Ham. Also, most of ABQ's draftees have played overseas. That kind fo makes a statement for the league, and the team. More and more players are seeing the league as a stepping stone to the NBA...that is good

I don't care who is on my team...I like good ball. Got my season tickets in hand...can't wait for the Thunder!

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-08-2007, 05:16 PM
See you on opening night!

jjbballfan
11-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Here is an example of what needs to be fixed.... Reyshawn Terry who was drafted in the 2nd round by the magic and traded to the Mavericks signed to play in Europe but the Mavericks get to retain his rights..... how is the dleague suppose to work if teams can do this?

ChumpDumper
11-10-2007, 09:09 AM
The Spurs did the same with Ian Mahinmi, now they are sending him down to Austin two years later. The Spurs also tries to get Marcus Williams to go to Europe this summer. He refused and subsequently got cut from training camp. The Toros were able to allocate him using a new rule for such players, thought the Spurs no longer hold any rights over him.

I don't see stashing draft picks in Europe or China as such a big deal. Chances are fair that borderline NBA players like Terry would end up in Europe anyway if they want or need guaranteed money. For their part Dallas is carrying a full roster with two players that will probably be sent down at some point.

jjbballfan
11-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Does anybody know why the Skyforce didn't use that rule to pick up Wayne Simien? He seemed like a guy that would fit in perfect with there game plan and is that big name that most midwestern fans know about....

DakotaWiz
11-10-2007, 06:39 PM
For whatever reason, he apparently didn't sign a D-League contract... There's a couple guys out there that are apparently just sitting around waiting for an injury to happen... Simien, Justin Reed... Also, I don't really want players that don't want to play in the D-League to play just because it's an NBA rule that they're no longer allowed to go overseas. I see no problem that Reyshawn Terry headed overseas.. In the D-League, you can only make 25,000 a season.. Overseas, you're going to be making a lot more than that. If a guy doesn't want to play in the D-League, don't make him... He's probably not helping himself any by going overseas instead of staying here. It's also helping the D-League teams as well... Chemistry goes a LONG way... That's why I'm worried about some of the older players that got drafted this year... Like Darvin Ham, Jelani McCoy.. Though I don't know them personally, I assume they're not going to be trying to win, just trying to make themselves look good..

jjbballfan
11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
sounds like we could see a lot of assignees to the Dleague this year, I heard that the Spurs plan on sending one as soon as 2 a days are over with in the Dleague and one as soon as the season starts and the Warriors plan on sending 2 down by the start of the season and Utah has sent one now and is thinking about sending another when the season starts. There is 1 or 2 others that are already assigned. seems like this year teams are finally understanding how to use the Dleague.

ChumpDumper
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
The Rockets sent down Steve Novak to the Vipers. I think the Spurs are waiting for Jacque Vaughn and Robert Horry to fully recover from their injuries before sending Darius Washington and Ian Mahinmi to Austin.

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Austin is going to be pretty good with all those affiliates. The Suns never send down anybody to us. Do you think we can get DJ Strawberry and Alando Tucker?

DakotaWiz
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
DJ Strawberry is probably a possibility... The major franchise that doesn't get any affiliate help is the Wizards. They got Martynas Andriuskevicius for about 2 weeks, and he needed a lot of developing... I would also guess the Bulls are sending down JamesOn Curry.

DakotaWizardsFan
11-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, the Wizards have bad affiliates. Last season, Washington didn't send anybody down and Memphis (who wasn't our affiliate last season) only sent down one player.

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-13-2007, 05:42 PM
We got Shannon Brown for 1 game and Dwyane Jones for about 4. Thats it.

USBasket_EricE
11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Ah, who needs assigned players!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/c/e/e/cee1569b9714e8f6b421c9d61c271562.jpg

DakotaWizardsFan
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Ha, yeah. Who needs affiliates?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/MajorSkillz7/Apr%2030%20at%20HawkTree/HawkTree_Trophy.jpg

bballnut
11-15-2007, 06:46 AM
Ft. Wayne is looking real good, plus they have an outstanding Coaching staff.

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Like I said...there 3 headed monster! Turner, Mejia, Richardson