PDA

View Full Version : And what were the "new rules" and "game we've never seen before?"

SignGuyDino
10-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Their website said that from the beginning, but nothing's been added since about it.

I've asked here a few times for months.

I contacted their office. Left a message. No response.

I still don't know what "new rules" and "game we've never seen before" means.

Certainly they should have put their rules on their website by now.

dbaproball
10-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Hopefully, we will see those soon. I care less about that hype ("new rules", "new game"), and more about them playing the complete schedule that they announced without teams folding, not showing up, etc. Their teams also need to finish getting their collective web presence done. 10 weeks to tip off...tick, tock.

SignGuyDino
10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I hear you, but people make commitments based on promises of others.

dbaproball
10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I hear you, but people make commitments based on promises of others.
i don't disagree with your basic premise here, but i look at it this way:

i may go to a new restaurant called the "Super Delicious Tasty Joint" but i'm pretty content to get out of there with some simple "good eats," especially when everyone else around is serving sawdust.

that's what i want from the pbl...some simple good eats. they need to not make bonehead mistakes, get good ownership groups in place, not be afraid to make the hard decisions (like not putting teams on their schedule that are not prepared), play all of their games, and grow to a reasonable size slowly.

(btw, i actually think all of this minnesota stuff is a good sign for the pbl; a significant change happened at minnesota that made the "fit" not right for either - a hard move was made before it impacted the schedule - the off season is for flushing out this situations. it was probably for the best, even if the extremists try to get other mileage out of it.)

i'll even cut the pbl a little slack for couple of more weeks on their team sites since they are a new league with several new teams that is starting after January 1.

hopefully nobody mortgaged their house on any "new game" promise, but rumor is they will be announcing something innovative in a couple of weeks with some big name(s) attached...we'll see....it will probably peak the interest of alot of people on this board, but again.....i just want them to play their games and slowly build their league infrastructure. wouldn't that be the most novel concept of all?

SignGuyDino
10-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Here's my point:

The IBL is a relatively stable league. No, far from completely stable, but it's getting there. Their hook is the speed-up rules that increase scoring.

There IS a history somewhat of stable leagues, so the "well, we play all our games, and that's novel" argument just doesn't wash. It's only in the last few years, especially with the ABA, has it gone completely south.

They made the promise, they should tell us what the "new rules" are.

dbaproball
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Let me start with saying I too want to see these new rules...I just don't think they're as critical as getting the web presence of the league and teams, making sure the ownership groups are stable, and getting the games played EXACTLY as scheduled up front....all major tasks for a start up league with several expansion teams. Also, as i have said, I believe that while something novel will be introduced soon, I see the talk of "new game, new rules" as marketing hype no different than showing me girls in bikinis to get me to buy beer. Just my opinion. But again, agreed, the league needs to put up or shut up.

Although I don't think their speed up rules are that much of a hook, I'm a big IBL fan. (In fact, I have had serious discussions with them about bringing a team into the league.) I have even made reference on this board to them being the strongest minor league of all by a key metric - aba, cba, pbl, d league included - why? because they lose the least $. I do think spring ball is a different business though.

Lastly, they do have some teams in pretty serious turmoil and there were some stability issues this year (as you have hinted at.) In some ways, the IBL will be plagued by default with similar issues as the ABA...not because they are not well run...i think they are...but because of the overall low cost of entry to get into the league.