PDA

View Full Version : Since we are left to speculate about the remaining teams....

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Does the Dallas team know and/or have anything to do with the law enforcement basketball team?

http://www.dallas-defenders.com/

Do the Aztecas have anything to do with the tortilla company?

http://www.aztecafoods.com/

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I will add that I am left to speculate because because I am too lazy to do anything other than F5 the PBL and OSC web pages.

dbaproball
10-20-2007, 07:01 PM
i think the answer is no to both, but it would be nice if they soon had an on line presence so we wouldn't have to guess.

ChumpDumper
10-20-2007, 08:00 PM
I think the answer to the first is no -- although you would think someone with the Dallas PBL team would have googled the name like I did.

The second one I'm not so sure -- Azteca Foods is right there Summit-Argo. Remember when the idea was floated of renaming the Grizzlies the Express when they moved to Memphis?

dbaproball
10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
I think the answer to the first is no -- although you would think someone with the Dallas PBL team would have googled the name like I did.

The second one I'm not so sure -- Azteca Foods is right there Summit-Argo. Remember when the idea was floated of renaming the Grizzlies the Express when they moved to Memphis?
you could be right about Azteca being a major sponsor, although i don't find any information supporting directly yet, but then, that's the issue right now....no information. google the team owner and you will find alot.........

jamesaba
11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
How can a new "premier" league that is weeks from tip off...not issue one press release since OCTOBER 23rd????

DazedAndAmused
11-23-2007, 07:27 PM
JamesABA, I count six on their website since 10/23 (not that I'm impressed the the Razorshark drama club.) Personally, I'd rather see releases about basketball news and real charity events, rather than modeling agency and entertainment deals that don't seem to happen. But that's just my opinion.

We'll have to wait and see how it comes together a month into the PBL season: Will they play their games as scheduled? How will they draw by market? What will their talent level be? I still contend that the PBL guys didn't want to leave the ABA, but they foresaw the mess that is in fact occurring now....teams folding left and right, games canceled, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what ABA club are you close to? Or, are you just a fan?

ChumpDumper
11-24-2007, 12:31 AM
How can a new "premier" league that is weeks from tip off...not issue one press release since OCTOBER 23rd????You were expecting extreme hyperbole and promises that couldn't possibly be fulfilled?

one way
11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
I remember reading that each team was going to have a francise player on their roster. This player was supposed to be an NBA player or a big time guy from overseas. Has any team signed that player yet? I checked allot of these rosters and do not see any big time names? These guys were supposed to make a large salary. Anyone shed any light on this?

Pounder
11-26-2007, 02:40 PM
I remember reading that each team was going to have a francise player on their roster. This player was supposed to be an NBA player or a big time guy from overseas.

Please find the statements on this. I'm just trying to ensure that we're not building strawman arguments over here.

COACHRUD
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
I have a strong feeling that the Detroit Panthers will join the PBL.

one way
11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
The league salary cap is $130,000, but the PBL will subsidize the salary of one “franchise player,” who could make anywhere from $50,000 to $90,000 a year, McGinn said. McGinn is going to try to sign a former University of Iowa or Illinois player to fill that role for the Riverhawks.

DazedAndAmused
11-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I recall some chatter of each team having an assigned international player subsidized by the league, but I don't see where this has been discussed officially by the league or if the program will be in place for the first season. I would look directly to the league for this answer rather than OSC if interested.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2007, 05:17 AM
The Dallas Defenders' website finally has some more information if anyone is interested.

http://www.defendershoops.com

BBallBoy
12-07-2007, 11:17 AM
The Detroit Panthers will not be joining the PBL. They are sending their players home. The PBL is a real league. Kenny Smith brings credibility. I hear more NBA guys are on the way. Will update.

tbayz1
12-07-2007, 02:33 PM
The Detroit Panthers will not be joining the PBL. They are sending their players home. The PBL is a real league. Kenny Smith brings credibility. I hear more NBA guys are on the way. Will update.

Welcome to OSC, keep us updated on the PBL! :)

DazedAndAmused
12-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I second this welcome. BballBoy sounds like he speaks with conviction about what he knows about the PBL without attacking anyone else, which is nice and actually what i like about the PBL people I have spoken too. (They have never said an ill word about the ABA...contrast that with the other side.)

We look forward to updates from you.