PDA

View Full Version : Pbl Vs Aba

Mike2
10-18-2007, 05:04 PM
With the PBL season only 10 weeks away......

One team that has folded (Minnesota)

Three teams have no websites (Dallas, Arkansas,Chicago)

The 7 teams with working websites that seem to atleast have something going for them are former ABA teams.

The PBL has copied many things in setting up the league from the ABA right down to the expansion city listing.

No teams are close together (long travel)

Only 10 home games each to try and make enough money to get back to even ? (How many teams will be willing to go deep into the red?)

This looks like the ABA farm league (ABA2)

preeths
10-18-2007, 05:25 PM
That's a huge stretch. Farm leagues aren't usually made up of your best owners. I think you're making the classic mistake of confusing the ABA's quantity for quality. The PBL may not be the answer for minor league basketball, but they don't have the ABA's history over the last few seasons, either.

My information indicates that Minnesota has not folded. More news on them possibly coming shortly.

Mike2
10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm a fan of the game, just give me some information and teams with websites. I dont think that is asking for a lot.

If everything gets off the ground I think Jax and Rochester might make the other 8 teams feel like they belong in the PBL2. I see a big talent gap forming after those two teams.

With Minnesota gone. You have Willmington who is solid with Maryland below .500 in the ABA and some average ABA midwest teams.

preeths
10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
That may all be true. We'll have to see. The only thing I take issue with is your assessment that the PBL is no better than an ABA farm league. I think that's a mischaracterization at best.

dbaproball
10-18-2007, 07:26 PM
That is the PBL expansion teams need to show us something on line and in press releases. Mike2, i gotta give you this.

But on other points:

1. no point in even assessing any talent "gaps"; these teams don't have full rosters yet, are still having camps, and don't play for 10 weeks; there is nothing to have an opinion on here as of yet
2. minnesota has not folded;those perpetuating that without any first hand knowledge must have an agenda, although i am sure there are some hard feelings about how quickly they deferred and the jobs that were likely lost; this was a good move by the pbl and minnesota; they couldn't get dates that met league protocol so they weren't added to the schedule; that's about as opposite from what the aba might do as could be; kudos for once for a hard decision being made that was better for the league; weekend games are FAR more fruitful
3. # of games played: there's a sweet spot in expenses vs sponsorship dollars vs games played to maximize revenues or minimize losses; the other minor league teams (all of them) have bled profusely so we know they haven't found the spot; a 20 game season is not a bad place to start to try to break the paradigm - your sponsorship dollars do not change
4. Travel: if you have a solid schedule well in advance that you can count on, travel costs are a fraction of what they would be otherwise. Ever had to charter a bus or book plane tickets on a days' notice? With 10 away games and national travel deals, travel distance is a non issue for these teams. These will be plane trips for the pbl teams. They are all near major metro airports.

All of these make it about as far from the aba as you can be in execution, even if comprised of former aba teams. let's talk at seasons end, see who played their games and who didn't, see who announced a schedule that stuck, see which teams truly folded, see who had the big names and national sponsors, etc. then we have something to talk about. but, others have said here, until the pbl puts a black eye on the face of minor league sports that others have, your only opinion can be of what you think MIGHT happen. we know what has happened elsewhere.

tbayz1
10-18-2007, 08:56 PM
We'll have to see.

Exactumundo Paul!!

Its as simple as that!

dbaproball
10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
well, we have already seen a start: a schedule that didn't change the day it was released. but hey, i'm just a guy who thinks a solid schedule matters to fans and sponsors and makes it much more cost effective to run a team.

psbf
10-19-2007, 11:41 PM
a schedule should not be released until it is finalized.

preeths
10-20-2007, 11:41 AM
The problem in the ABA is that the schedule cannot be finalized until the roster of teams is complete. When teams are allowed to enter and leave the league even during the season, the schedule-maker is in an impossible position.