-Rock River
-Chicago Aztecas*
-Arkansas Impact
-Dallas Defenders

09 Expansion:
-Toronto Lasers
-Montreal Sasquatch
-Minnesota Ripknees*

** If you look at more information for teh Chicago Aztecas, you may notice some familar names, the Owner and Head Coach/GM are the same guys that own and run the ABA Chicago Cometas.......

**Funny to see the Ripknees not playing this year, I wonder whats up with that.

one way
10-15-2007, 04:03 PM
The ABA lists teams of the future on expansion lists. Now the PBL does it. For the sake of arguement the CBA nor the NBDL does this. The ABA puts a team in their home town i.e. the Anderson Champions. Now the PBL does the same thing. The Chicago owners are funding the Cometas. This is getting easy to see how the PBL is the ABA with a shorter season and a different web site. Speaking of web sites, I do not see anyone (chuck the writer) talking about the lack of web sites for these PBL teams. Where is the promised FIBA agreement? Where are the websites, front office staffs, coaches, schedules for these teams? Etc. etc. etc.

Minor League Man
10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
The ABA lists teams of the future on expansion lists. Now the PBL does it. For the sake of arguement the CBA nor the NBDL does this. The ABA puts a team in their home town i.e. the Anderson Champions. Now the PBL does the same thing. The Chicago owners are funding the Cometas. This is getting easy to see how the PBL is the ABA with a shorter season and a different web site. Speaking of web sites, I do not see anyone (chuck the writer) talking about the lack of web sites for these PBL teams. Where is the promised FIBA agreement? Where are the websites, front office staffs, coaches, schedules for these teams? Etc. etc. etc.
Schedule now up on OSC, and the PBL team pages all have contact info.

I think I'm speaking for the board when I say, IT'S ABOUT TIME!

panchess
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
..are listed as an expansion team on the CBA web site. They got rid of the Indiana Alley Cats, though.

Pounder
10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Atlanta and Vancouver were listed that way last year, Bellevue a couple years before that... and I believe the D-League is no better in this regard.

About time indeed. The travel is a concern, of course.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
I have not seen the D-League list potential expansion teams, only ones that are scheduled to play in the coming season.

SignGuyDino
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I think I'm speaking for the board when I say, IT'S ABOUT TIME!

For the sane among us, yes.

rider
10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Has their beeen any announcement regarding the venues of Dallas or Arkansas ? Seems very strange that they announce a schedule when they realy have not dislosed the detrails of these franchises. This appears to be not much better than the ABA, these guys were supposed to be originized. Sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors.

dbaproball
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Dallas announced its venue a few months ago in a PR on OSC.

Arkansas has held it close to the vest for sure, but the rumor is they had been courted by a few leagues and didn't want to alienate anyone. Supposedly, they are doing a large scale coming out party this month.

I wish they had websites out with some info too, but the ABA comparison is not in the realm of reality. This league will play its schedule this year with 10 teams and will grow to up to 20 teams at a reasonable pace over the next 5 yrs. It is really a waste of time to do much more than wait and see at this point. Anything else is speculation. It will be interesting to see what the reaction is in late March.

Minor League Man
10-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Dallas announced its venue a few months ago in a PR on OSC.

Somehow I missed that part.

Could you tell us all what the venue is again?

Aaronhere
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
The Minnesota Ripknees will not operate this season, according to an e-mail sent out by Larry McKenzie, the basketball team's general manager and coach. "I too was surprised," McKenzie wrote.

The Ripknees were 24-8 last season playing in the American Basketball Association. In June, the team announced it was joining the Premier Basketball League for its second season.

A PBL spokeswoman said the Ripknees had trouble finding a home arena for this season but are expected to join the 10-team league for the 2008-09 season.

Maurice Hargrow and Johnnie Gilbert, former college players at Minnesota and Oklahoma, respectively, were among the best-known players on a team whose theme was, "Working man's basketball at working man's prices."
http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1489155.html

Any bets on whether we will ever see the Ripknees take the court again?

Minor League Man
10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.startribune.com/503/story/1489155.html

Any bets on whether we will ever see the Ripknees take the court again?
I'll bet the answer is similar to the following question:

Has Bigfoot ever been sighted in Montreal?

dbaproball
10-17-2007, 12:37 PM
the pbl didn't release a schedule with their name on it, only to have to redo it. sounds like this has been a brewing issue.

dbaproball
10-17-2007, 12:43 PM
i just googled and found a reference to the metroplex on "pbl dallas" wikopedia entry. also got there at some point:

http://pblpro.com/DALLAS_TEXAS_JOINS_PBL.HTML

...can't verify accuracy..just that i knew i had seen reference to it.

Minor League Man
10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
i just googled and found a reference to the metroplex on "pbl dallas" wikopedia entry. also got there at some point:

http://pblpro.com/DALLAS_TEXAS_JOINS_PBL.HTML

...can't verify accuracy..just that i knew i had seen reference to it.
By "metroplex" they don't mean venue.

They mean metropolitan area, the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

dbaproball
10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
ah. well, you can tell i don't know the area. a relationship with SMU is mentioned in the google references too....if they are on the PBL schedule without a venue, that would be problematic for the league for sure. that would surprise me though because i have heard that the pbl schedule has been ready for more than a month, awaiting final decisions from minnesota and jacksonville before a formal release.

rider
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I 'm sure there's more to this story. Are we suppose to believe that Chicago Arkansas or Dallas has a venue ? stay Tuned!

dbaproball
10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
..if they don't, then this whole thing is a farce, no diff than the aba.

but, that's not consistent with what i am hearing. is the skepticism based on the lack of web sites and lack of venue information released in pr's yet? if so, then it is rightly so, but i wonder if anyone has been interested enough to contact these teams to ask them.

i haven't been so far but a 3rd hand source says 10 pbl teams submitted 15 open venue dates, with 80% or more of which to be on weekends. the last stipulation forced some teams to defer apparently.

the expansion teams need to act quickly to get some info out.

a1sports
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Thats the same I heard, the league wanted as many games as possible on weekends, Minnesota couldnt provide. Also the internet deal requires a certain amount of games on the weekends. Will try for more info to confirm.

MInnesotaFats
10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Word is that former coach and general manager is well connected with basketball and media people and will soon release a statement telling the REAL STORY. Maybe interviewed by ESPN outside the lines.

Was said to be working on a book about his experience in minor league basketball.

Prior to Ripknees, very well respected and successful high school coach.

Should be interesting from what I heard.

dbaproball
10-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Word is that former coach and general manager is well connected with basketball and media people and will soon release a statement telling the REAL STORY. Maybe interviewed by ESPN outside the lines.

Was said to be working on a book about his experience in minor league basketball.

Prior to Ripknees, very well respected and successful high school coach.

Should be interesting from what I heard.
I'd be a lot more interested in hearing a story from the team owners, since they were the ones who deferred to next season. Because if they did defer due to not having weekend dates at their venue (a pbl requirement it seems), jobs are lost this year which of course will create hard feelings by those left out like coaches and staff.

a1sports
10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh geees, ESPN outside the lines? Minnesota Fats is an inside ABA person, WHY? becuase my friend is an assisatnt producer for that segment on ESPN, when I called her today she said NO way would we be interested in a story like that. Again, watch what you post, you never know who knows who.

one way
10-18-2007, 11:22 AM
The reason Minn. droppped was because of money. Not that they did not have it, but that did not want to waste it. Just because you change the letters around from ABA to the PBL does not magically make your team a money maker. Minn. found that out and decided to pull out. If some of these teams averaged 100 fans in the ABA, they will average 100 fans in the PBL and they will lose money. They are following the same practices. It reminds me of the Mayor in Jaws when Sheriff Brody and the ocean expect are trying to convince him to close the beaches. No matter what they said, what level of expertise they have, or what proof they had, the Mayor... well you know the rest of the story.

psbf
10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
makes sense, One Way(imo). But I just feel their timing was wrong. They should have done it earlier. I question their promotion methods and I feel for their fans. If they really felt that way about the league, why switch?

preeths
10-18-2007, 12:11 PM
The reason Minnesota dropped out was dates. Its home arena gave them open dates mostly on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and the owner realized he couldn't make a go of it with a weeknight schedule. It really is that simple. Now, from what I've heard, the owner didn't do a great job of informing those in his own organization in a timely manner, and there may be some hard feelings about that, particularly from McKenzie. But the fact remains the owner couldn't get good dates this season and decided to hold off until next.

As for Outside the Lines doing a story on it, that was a joke, right? I really hope you don't believe that the "story" is that important or that a national sports show would have any interest in it. Don't expect us to believe that.

MInnesotaFats
10-18-2007, 05:23 PM
No story about arena issue, A1 check with the producers, McKenzie daughter once interned at ESPN, and one of his best friend is employed at ESPN.story about the challenges, ups and downs of minor league basketball in the U. S., obviously he had insight on what real and what not.

Maybe, maybe not, just stay tuned! We will see.

preeths
10-18-2007, 05:32 PM
We'll see if Minnesota wants to wait a year or not.

ChumpDumper
10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
No story about arena issue, A1 check with the producers, McKenzie daughter once interned at ESPN, and one of his best friend is employed at ESPN.story about the challenges, ups and downs of minor league basketball in the U. S., obviously he had insight on what real and what not.

Maybe, maybe not, just stay tuned! We will see.
http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/caveman_3.jpg
Uhhh....what?

dbaproball
10-18-2007, 07:59 PM
The reason Minn. droppped was because of money. Not that they did not have it, but that did not want to waste it. Just because you change the letters around from ABA to the PBL does not magically make your team a money maker. Minn. found that out and decided to pull out. If some of these teams averaged 100 fans in the ABA, they will average 100 fans in the PBL and they will lose money. They are following the same practices. It reminds me of the Mayor in Jaws when Sheriff Brody and the ocean expect are trying to convince him to close the beaches. No matter what they said, what level of expertise they have, or what proof they had, the Mayor... well you know the rest of the story.
there is likely something to this, at least indirectly if nothing else. money and dates are not unrelated though.

if they couldn't get weekend dates (weekend dates btw are consistent with the "pbl way"..check the schedule), not only to they reduce their own chances of financial success, they potentially compromise the league.

it was a good move to defer until next year when they presumably can get the dates they need somewhere that isn't a high school or church gym. it is my understanding that minnesota will continue to be active with the pbl management..somebody else can confirm or deny.

Shootmaster_44
10-19-2007, 12:24 AM
I wonder if the Toronto Lasers are the Ontario Red Wolves from the ABA? If so, I have to wonder if that team will ever take the court, as I believe the Red Wolves were supposed to start in the 2005-06 ABA seaso, then pushed back to 2006-07, then pushed back to 2007-08 and now are listed as an expansion team for 2008-09.

In giant markets such as Toronto and Montreal, it seems weird the PBL would try and go head-to-head with the ABA. Both teams are doomed to fail I'd assume, unless they play in the GTA or Greater Montreal. Those cities might embrace a team better than Montreal or Toronto proper would.

I especially have to question the idea of putting a team in Toronto. Providing the NLL comes back next year, I figure that since the OHL and Arena Football Leagues couldn't make a go of it in Toronto, the PBL (and ABA) have no chance. With 3 Universities fielding teams in a variety of sports, the Raptors, Maple Leafs, Marlies and Rock running during the season and the Blue Jays starting during the tail end of the season, as well as 3 OHL teams around Toronto proper, I would think minor league basketball would be very low on the radar of sports fans in the city.

I think minor league sports work better in smaller cities, if a team in the Golden Horseshoe was necessary, I would have either placed it in Barrie or Hamilton. Neither are overly crowded sports markets and are far enough away from Toronto that the teams of the city wouldn't interfere with them. But perhaps the PBL sees a niche market that is untapped. Perhaps they will market themselves to the lower middle class who cannot afford to take in the majority of the teams listed above.

dbaproball
10-19-2007, 10:58 PM
all good points and questions....we'll need a canadian to comment i think....from what i have heard the Lasers are a different entity, but perhaps a splinter group who decided the aba wasn't the place to be.

Shootmaster_44
10-19-2007, 11:45 PM
all good points and questions....we'll need a canadian to comment i think....from what i have heard the Lasers are a different entity, but perhaps a splinter group who decided the aba wasn't the place to be.

From Western Canada, I haven't heard a peep out of either of these league. Granted minor league sports stories are generally pretty localized, unless its a protracted fight between parties like the on-going Ottawa Lynx battle.