PDA

View Full Version : insurance

one way
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Does not having the added expense of flying players to Chicago treatment add to the cost of the insurance plan in the future? Meaning that one year or two years this is an okay deal, but after all of these flights and the added expense that could make even the most minor of expenses more expensive. Somebody has to pay. Please feel free to fill in the gaps. Broken finger cost, lets say is 1,000 dollars. Now add on the flights and stay and per diem while in chicago. That cost could be now be 2,000. I thought you were to supposed to try to keep your claims at a minimum in order to keep your premiums down. If I get into a fender bender, I find it hard to believe that I am going to ship my car to Chicago for repairs. Someone please explain.

bdaly
10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I really wouldn't worry about this issue. The PBL's chairman of the board is the CEO of this center. I'm sure they've done the math, and the savings they can deliver by using this center likely exceed the added expense that comes with airfare (which is comparatively minuscule). Thanks to O'Hare being a hub, airfare isn't bad there, and we all know medical costs can be outrageous depending on the hospital. We can worry about the lack of a finalized list of teams and schedule at this point, but medical is an area where the league has things squared away nicely.

one way
10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Since I last posted, I have learned more. It is not the question os doing the medical work. That will get paid by insurance. But, with every procedure, the insurance rates go up. The medical clinic makes out because all the work is being funneled through them, the insurance rates will go up. Meaning after two or three years, these teams will not be able to afford coverage. Premiums will be to high while the clinic will make the money.

dbaproball
10-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Regarding insurance (and we are probably talking workmen's comp here), those rates are negotiated by medical practice according to fee schedule that is adjusted by region. There would be no reimbursement for travel expenses and (I believe) these rates would be determined by state of the employer (in this case the teams.)

I may not have some of the details here though which prompts my question. This is in the PBL thread so I assume that this is a discussion of what the PBL will provide in terms of health insurance. Is the league going to provide health insurance/workmen's comp or is this still to be provided by the teams? Or, rather than actual insurance, is the PBL, via their chairman as someone else posted, providing free or discounted health services at the Chicago clinic? I'm not sure I follow fully how insurance rates might be affected by this or whether this is really good or bad or matters at all. More interesting here would be in knowing how teams in the various leagues actually handle this or if any simply provide no coverage of any sort (which my guess would not be legal in many states.)

one way
10-13-2007, 09:05 AM
The team pays the insurance all work gets flooded through the PBL clinic. The PBL clinic makes all the money. The claim goes through the teams insurance, because of the addded costs premiums goes up.. Team loses after after a couple years of this practice. Also team loses because it losses local doctor and hospital for sponsorship dollars because all buisness going to PBL clinic. PBL wins, team owner loses

a1sports
10-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Interesting topic so I called the clinic and spoke to the Chief Operating Officer. She answered my questions, as best as possible since Im not an insurance wiz and probably didnt ask the right questions but she did explain to me that a base was set for the league players and that there would be no charge to the team or insurance untill the cost of care goes over a certain point per team per season. I guess thats like a deductible but you dont have to pay? I asked to speak to the Doc/Chairman of the board but she said he is out of town. By the way I asked her how many teams in the PBL and she looked on a sheet and counted 10 this year.

one way
10-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I see. But the cost of the transportation must be put against the deductable. Also, when there are too many expensive claims, the premiums go up. The team now has to pay more in insurance the following year. The clinic is making money because you are funneling all injuries to them. They bill the insurance company. The insurance company bills the team. Also the team loses sponsorship dollars that it would have had from the local hospital. The hospital does not want to give the dollars because of the injuries are being flown to chicago. Now the local hospital can not bill the insurance company.

bdaly
10-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Also, when there are too many expensive claims, the premiums go up. The team now has to pay more in insurance the following year. The clinic is making money because you are funneling all injuries to them.
You're making some assumptions here. On the flip side, the clinic could be doing this "at cost" in exchange for promotion so the claims might be significantly less than they would have been otherwise. Even with travel, the cost savings could be significant depending on how this is done.

one way
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
doing surguries at cost? Come on. I am just being a realist. Everybody is out to make a buck everyday in every way. If you do not think that these guys are charging the amount and billing insurance, I have a bridge to sell you

bdaly
10-16-2007, 03:17 PM
doing surguries at cost? Come on. I am just being a realist. Everybody is out to make a buck everyday in every way. If you do not think that these guys are charging the amount and billing insurance, I have a bridge to sell you
Perhaps they won't make as much as the average hospital would--it's really not that hard. Why do you insist that the Chairman of the Board of the PBL is trying to use this as a huge profit-generating scheme for his other business? Why are you so sure he's going to try to sink his one business (the PBL) for his other one. It really is possible to create a win-win situation where both sides come out ahead.

Yes, they probably will make money on it, but they probably will still charge far less than they'd be charged by the local hospital--even including airfare. Many hospitals are out-of-control when it comes to billings (tens of thousands per patient), so it's not difficult to charge less and still come out in the black. Anyways, I'm going to leave this topic with that, because there's little sense in talking in hypotheticals.