PDA

View Full Version : PBL Ticket Prices????

greatlakes
10-02-2007, 12:16 PM
While viewing the Wilmington web site I noticed ticket prices are a bit strange.

Game Day Tickets $10
Season Tickets $145

VIP Game Day Tickets $15
VIP Season Tickests $235

Playing 12 home dates times 10 = 120 we can add two pre-season games at lets say $5 each and the total is $130. VIP tickets is about $50 more than game day.

I see this is a good way to treat your fans, charge the people who spend the money up front a higher ticket price.

Good Job Wilmington

one way
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
The PBL is a league started up by a bunch of disgruntled former ABA owners. They did not know how to run their ABA teams and now they start up this league. No money, no business sense and no real knowledge of how to run a minor league franchise. "they do not know that they do not know". We got all excited because is was new and fresh but when you tear off the wrapper, it is the same thing; an ABA team in disguise. There are two leagues the CBA and the NBDL. Deep pockets, tradition and know how. The rest is just junk

a1sports
10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Too early to say they are junk, Have to wait and see. Could be ABA in different clothes but so far they are the only minor league basketball league that flew in all the owners and paid for their hotel rooms and food for the owners meeting. They do have national sponsors. They dont say much which may be good or bad. I try to get info and it is hard, Doyle IMO is smart enough to keep this well orchestrated. Best thing is to wait and see.

bdaly
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Playing 12 home dates times 10 = 120
We probably shouldn't jump to conclusions here. Until the PBL announces its final roster of teams and schedule, 12 may not end up being the final number. Or, they could be holding X number of exhibitions or including a playoff game in the package. Those aren't uncommon practices for teams.

As for the league, I'm a little disappointed things aren't finalized given that it's October. I'm going to assume they're trying to seal the deal on a team or two. If they do and it minimizes travel, it'll be worth it. But, they need to finalize things very soon as the season is scheduled to begin in three months.

This feels a bit like the CBA last season. The CBA didn't have a great year as they lost a team and a few drew very modestly given their late scramble to add teams, but it was superior to the ABA's for sure. I continue to believe that a CBA/PBL merger makes the most sense, and I wouldn't be surprised if that occurs for '08-'09.

greatlakes
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Not hard to fly in five owners. Anyone with a Visa card could do that. Seven teams at that time and one owner having two teams and only lives about three hours away.

Just noticed they did not have a PBL try-out camp in Dallas. What's up with that.

psbf
10-02-2007, 01:59 PM
it will, bdaly. If it does, I'll admit I was wrong. But I don't see a merger happening. Too many things going against it imo. The CBA is growing stronger and I feel the Xplosion will get stronger crowds this season. If anything, some PBL teams will join us. But time will tell. I just feel that the PBL is moving a bit too slow.

a1sports
10-02-2007, 02:10 PM
As I posted on the CBA board: The CBA and PBL met in May and the CBA wanted to merge with the PBL or take a few teams. The PBL said NO.

CBA Left a bad tatse in Utah and Ricardo keeps wheeling and dealing for teams... so teams in glass houses shouldnt..................

Who wants to travel to Butte? LOL or better yet, hey want to see Butte play three times this week aganist the same team? LOL

bdaly
10-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Ultimately, I don't think there's room for two AAA level, independent winter leagues. One way or another, I suspect we'll end up with one league that consists of teams from both leagues. Again, I'm not talking about this upcoming season, I'm thinking the following one.

In the end, there are some real similarities between both leagues, the most obvious being the influence of former ABA teams and executives. They've got a slightly different plan. Merged, you've suddenly got a pretty good footprint in terms of being able to play a somewhat regional schedule that minimizes travel.

psbf
10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
that post, A1. As far as I'm concerned, you need evidence to back it up, about the meeting.

a1sports
10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Call Ben fernandez yourself........ it was in a hotel in manhatten in May 2007.

one way
10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
A1 love you to death, but you are not quite right with this one. The PBL and the CBA did talk, but that was because the PBL wanted to do some games vs. the CBA but not a merge. The CBA did say no to that, why- because what was the benfit? I am sure that there might have been talks of a merger, but the PBL was not interested in listening about it. The PBL wants to do it their own way. The CBA shrugged it's shoulders and went on their way. But, the CBA did not go looking for a merger, the CBA was responding to the PBL's request to have some games. You get on Joe Neuman for putting a spin on things, don't you go doing it yourself. Stay true.

Paul S
10-02-2007, 07:15 PM
My take on this is............

The CBA looked at this as a great sales opportunity. A bunch of existing teams with existing business plans and committed owners want to do some inter-league play and possibly join........OUR LEAGUE, the CBA.

The PBL looked at this as a way to merge with the CBA and join forces with an existing league and a name that is on the basketball radar, no expansion fee to join and the CBA teams would morph into.......OUR LEAGUE, the PBL.

There was a meeting. THis could also evolve into something halfway in the future. At the very least this is what the CBA told the CBA guys who didn't attend and the PBL told the PBL guys who didn't attend.

psbf
10-02-2007, 08:00 PM
it happens it will happen. But I'm still skeptical about a merger.

tbayz1
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Rochester IMO is the only team in the same class as the CBA, Wilmington and Maryland are on the border IMO

bdaly
10-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Rochester IMO is the only team in the same class as the CBA, Wilmington and Maryland are on the border IMO
None of the teams the CBA took from the ABA were huge draws and Indiana certainly didn't play in an amazing facility. Indiana and Pittsburgh continued to draw modestly in the CBA, while San Jose obviously relocated. And, the CBA pulled in another new ABA team in Rio Grande and we're waiting on the former failed ABA owner who's heading up Vancouver.

It's really pretty similar. I had some fears with the CBA's late start last year, and some of them came to fruition with schedule changes and a failed team. However, they more or less weathered the storm and should be stronger for it. We'll see if the PBL fairs better or worse. I'm sure any successful PBL teams could hold their own in CBA.

a1sports
10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Ok lets be 100% true to the fact. The CBA met with the PBL under the guise of playing some games "interleague" then at that meeting the CBA mentioned that it would like to take Rochester and Maryland into the CBA, and then the CBA mentioned how about a merger. The PBL said No merger, the CBA said, there is no benefit to playing interleague games.

CBA should have done some interleague games, especially if the direct TV deal goes through with the PBL.

The two leagues should work together because by 2009 the NBDL will have East coast presence and out muscle the CBA and PBL.

Trying to stay as true to the info I receive, if it sounds like spin...its not intended to be, Ouch that Joe newman punch hurt....

jamesaba
10-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Too early to say they are junk, Have to wait and see. Could be ABA in different clothes but so far they are the only minor league basketball league that flew in all the owners and paid for their hotel rooms and food for the owners meeting. They do have national sponsors. They dont say much which may be good or bad. I try to get info and it is hard, Doyle IMO is smart enough to keep this well orchestrated. Best thing is to wait and see.

Now a1's on to saying "we have to wait and see...<if> they are junk"....It seems a few months back you were raving all over the place about how the PBL had tons of money and how this league would be a huge unmitigated success?

a1sports
10-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Lets just say this, you too can call the PBL teams and the PBL office and ask for information. At this point, I have a pretty good idea of where the PBL is comming from. DO they have the money, oh yes, do they have solid owners , yes, do they have a lot of deals going on , yup. Why be the ABA and put out a press release everytime Joe sh-ts. IS is hard to get info out of the PBL, yes
but you give them a benefit of the doubt. Put the bits of info together all summer and IMO they will be strong.

one way
10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey, A1 let me say I enjoy your stuff but I have to disagree. IF the Chicago team in the PBL is the Cometas, and that is an if. Then this is not a strong owner with lots of money. That is a weak link. Also, I have to say Dallas is a weak link. Do some checking, you will have to agree that they are not ready to open the season. That is two. Minnesota is strong but the rock river franchise has sold nothing and the quad city team has no coach. I think that it is safe to say that one former ABA owner now owning two PBL teams ( when he did not have a clue how to run his ABA franchises) that one of those teams is a weak link. Now we are up to three out of ten. I will give you Maryland and Rochester as being strong. The Quebec team has pulled out of the PBL. It is just me, but I think Reading is not strong. Granted, it's just me but it is the things that I hear. So now that's four. I'm just saying, no conterversy, not naming sources, not picking a fight. Just the facts as I see them

greatlakes
10-03-2007, 08:49 AM
A-1, If someone called you would you tell them how much money you had? There is no evidence of how much money the national sponsors paid. There is no evidence if any team paid the franchise fees. The only reason Quad Cities and Rock River are in the PBL is the fact that the PBL did not have the amount of teams needed to run a league. Plus the fact it gives some travel considerations to the Ripknees.

Anybody can put up front of having alot of money and resources until what money they have runs out.

bdaly
10-03-2007, 02:46 PM
The two leagues should work together because by 2009 the NBDL will have East coast presence and out muscle the CBA and PBL.

Agreed--that's the harsh reality. While they survived and may be better for it, the CBA didn't exactly have a wonderful season last year, and the PBL is probably going to have its bumps. It appears to me that both leagues need each other. It may very well take one league failing to result in a "merger" with the strong teams from that league shifting over. Ultimately, one way or another, I think it has to happen. Otherwise, the NBDL will continue to increase the gap and push these leagues to, at best, an indisputable AA level. Granted, AA beats the below A level all of the teams that bailed from the "other" league had to suffer through.

I'm not surprised the PBL appears to be moving at a slow pace. Even if their ideas are amazing, the fact remains that minor league basketball isn't exactly seen as a highly viable sport. How many teams in any league are actually making money? I'd venture to say almost none are. Selling the idea that this league will be different from everyone else who has seen its teams fail at a remarkably high rate is tough. Even the best salespeople are going to have a tough time convincing wise, properly funded businesspeople to make the jump. There's bound to be a "show me first" attitude.

one way
10-03-2007, 03:14 PM
You cannot have a merger because some PBL teams cannot afford to be in the CBA. It comes down to money and ego. I think that some PBL teams could leave the PBL and join the CBA- but not all. If that was the case it would not be called a merger but CBA raiding the PBL. I do not think that the Cometas have any money. Also, you have to look at the arenas that these PBL teams play at. I do not know so someone will have to answer for me. Do all of these teams play in arenas? So now we have two issues, money to step up to the CBA and playing facilities. Finally ego. I personally do not feel that PBL owners will put their egos aside and join the CBA. Just like I do not think that CBA owners would put their egos aside to join the PBL. 48 games vs. 24 games, quarter point system, traditions, all of these would be lumped together and the bargining table. Add FIBA agreements etc. Basically, I do not feel that all but two or three PBL teams have the money to join the CBA. That is not entry fees, it is the budget (800,000) to run a club.

bomp
10-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Ultimately, I don't think there's room for two AAA level, independent winter leagues. One way or another, I suspect we'll end up with one league that consists of teams from both leagues. Again, I'm not talking about this upcoming season, I'm thinking the following one.

In the end, there are some real similarities between both leagues, the most obvious being the influence of former ABA teams and executives. They've got a slightly different plan. Merged, you've suddenly got a pretty good footprint in terms of being able to play a somewhat regional schedule that minimizes travel.

Just remember that the PBL guys bought what Newman was selling at one time. How smart are they really? Doyle was in the ABA for a couple of years and the Rochester guys paid a fee to Newman as well.

I think if the PBL guys had anything going on, they would have joined the CBA as a group.

panchess
10-05-2007, 08:23 PM
..the PBL has a few strong teams, but in some ways looks like last year's CBA with a couple strong teams and several question marks.

The Rochester owner complained about travel in the CBA as a reason not to join, but the only difference in this league is fewer games, not shorter trips.

Pounder
10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Costs less to fly to Dallas than to Minot and Butte. Check the rates sometime.

Of course, most of the markets with the cheaper flights also have NBA teams and other competition.

bdaly
10-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Just remember that the PBL guys bought what Newman was selling at one time. How smart are they really? Doyle was in the ABA for a couple of years and the Rochester guys paid a fee to Newman as well.

The ABA's concept is a good one. Having a lot of teams that'll minimize travel costs thanks to regional play is a great concept. Obviously, the execution is the issue. If the ABA performed appropriate background checks and made sure all owners could make it through the season (even if it meant a few less teams and a little more travel), the ABA would be a great league. The fact that they let the weak links in kills the whole concept.

Also, remember, the recent ABA concept really began on '03-'04 (prior to that they were working with large budgets in a smaller league). It's not like all the owners had the track record to go off of that teams have now--it was pretty new. Because of that history, the ABA looks like it will actually shrink this season, with the remaining links looking as questionable as ever. It could be a particularly rough season for the league--time will tell.

panchess
10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
..strangely enough. There is room in the country for a league composed of various regional divisions, with a national tournament at the end to declare an overall champion. If the ABA went that route and was basically a bus league without all the BS, it would be nice. It's the pretending that they are something they are not that is a lot of the reason people get riled up about the ABA.

dbaproball
10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
bdaly and panchess, i agree with you both on this.

ultimately, it comes down to concept vs execution. conceptually, the aba could have been viable as (dare i say) up to a 100 team single A minor league for the CBA, Euroloeagues, NBDL, and NBA (in that order.) it was not executed well due to all of the factors that aren't worth rehashing.....but most related to quality control of its member teams.

now we are left with a mess that has tarnished all of minor league US bball.