PDA

View Full Version : PBL Draft Today

Minor League Man
10-01-2007, 10:22 AM
At least the Minnesota Ripknees say so on their website...Hopefully we'll FINALLY hear something from the league...

greatlakes
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
It good to see the PBL is having a draft. I wonder what SEVEN teams will participate? Two of the tryouts had Chicago around 60 and Washington around 75 players, not sure about Dallas.

OneBetter
10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Don't actually expect anything to happen today.

The PBL is fast becoming ABA version 2.0

one way
10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
This will be a draft of players that have not other placed to play, or if they are drafted and signed will leave for a league that is starting up in Nov. If you get any fans to these games they will be watching the bottom of the barrel of talent. Please do not tell me about this NBA rule, that is a joke. Any player that has options is not going to wait to play into dec. when he can be putting up numbers in nov. Also, no player with an future is going to choose to showcase his skills in only 24 games instead of 48.

tbayz1
10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.pblpro.com/Attention%20All%20Professional%20Basketball%20Play ers.htm

Id really like to know if there are any teams that we do not know of in this draft...

Minor League Man
10-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Press release today:
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3545161

Okay, who are Chicago and Arkansas again? Hope we hear from then SOON!

OneBetter
10-01-2007, 06:00 PM
So the expansion (not former ABA teams) are:

1. Chicago *
2. Arkansas
3. Dallas

* Hopefully the Chicago team isn't the ABA team (Cometas?) They seem to be horribly underfunded and want to play in a dumpy old community gym in a ghetto suburb. Hopefully this is a new team and not the ABA team, but a1sports said that this owner was at the Chicago PBL try out camp.

Chuck the Writer
10-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Essentially this "draft" sounds like what the D-League does, where they set up a pool of players and everybody picks from that pool. Remember in 5th grade when kids chose sides for kickball? It's the same thing.

"I'll take Chuck the Writer."

"Okay, I got Fells."

"I'm taking Minor League Man."

"Fine, I'm taking Preeths."

"I'm taking ABARedWhiteBlue."

"Okay, then I got Ken, Steelheads Fan."

"I'll take the Standard."

"I've got One Way."

You see what I mean?

tbayz1
10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
The players seem average at best, I was reading up on the Razorsharks' selected players, they just sound like younger guys that have little pro experience

So the league apparently has 10 teams now, and 2 new, Chicago and Arkansas, could it be the Cometas and the Aeros? LOL

Like OneBetter said, "The PBL is fast becoming ABA Version 2.O"

Well he could be right, and I agree with Chuck, it seems like that kind of draft he described.

a1sports
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Looks like the divsions are going to be like this...

East
Rochester
Reading
Maryland
Wilmington
Arkansas

West
Dallas
Chicago
Minnesota
Quad City
RockFord

Seems the PBL was trying out an internet broadcast company and this "draft" was a test of the system.... For internal use.

Minor League Man
10-01-2007, 10:17 PM
a1, do you have any idea when we should expect more details on Chicago & Arkansas?

a1sports
10-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Chicago is the cometas that were suppose to play in the ABA. The owner must have gotten wise..There was that pic of him at the PBL tryouts.

OneBetter
10-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Chicago is the cometas that were suppose to play in the ABA. The owner must have gotten wise..There was that pic of him at the PBL tryouts.

Please tell me they aren't going to play at that dump they planned on using while they were in the ABA! If they are, I just lost all respect for the PBL.

robster2001
10-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Looks like the divsions are going to be like this...

East
Rochester
Reading
Maryland
Wilmington
Arkansas

West
Dallas
Chicago
Minnesota
Quad City
RockFord

Travel-wise, they're better with unbalanced divisions -- move Arkansas to the West, go with 4 in the East and 6 in the West. I mean, really... Arkansas and Dallas in opposite divisions? :)

tbayz1
10-02-2007, 06:26 AM
Its going to be interesting now to see how the PBL pans out, and so far im not impressed, I thought this "was the finest in pro basketball" well they could just be maybe a better organized version of the ABA...

If this league fails, IF Im not saying they will yet because they still have some time, but if they fail, this is going to be the biggest laughing stock, ex-ABA teams start a new league, blah blah they left, blah blah PBL finest in pro bball, well if they fail in the first year of operations, NOW THAT IS FUNNY!

greatlakes
10-02-2007, 08:25 AM
If the Chicago is the ABA team then the PBL has done nothing but raid the ABA for any team that wants to play. If it is Chicago they are doing nothing but buying time to try and come up with money to start in January. The PBL is a joke!!! By my count they are still six teams short from what they advertised and they have no teams in Canada. All the PBL can do is take teams from another league. They cannot start a league on their own. Will be interesting to see if Arkansas is an ex ABA franchise.

The CBA took ABA teams last year so that it would survive. One team folded mid season and another (Anderson) will not play this year. So keeping this in mind the PBL should have two teams fold mid season and two more teams not come back next season. This would leave them with six teams but plenty of time to sway teams to leave other leagues to get in over their head and fold.

Just my opinion.

psbf
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
it slips me what the Minnesota owner was in the news for. But, the way this league is going so far, maybe he should be convicted of false advertising.

OneBetter
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Any chance Arkansas is the Rimrockers, previously of the D-League and previous to that of the ABA? The owner wanted to move the team to La Crosse, Wisconsin, but that deal fell through. Might he be looking for a cheaper option than the D-League to keep his team alive?

a1sports
10-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Arkansas is a new team along with Dallas and Reading, Pa. The few owners I spoke with in the PBL dont disclose much and say they cant at the present time, but they do say they are happy and like what the league has planned.

I guess the PBL isnt press release crazy like the ABA.

jamesaba
10-03-2007, 07:49 AM
http://www.pblpro.com/Attention%20All%20Professional%20Basketball%20Play ers.htm

Id really like to know if there are any teams that we do not know of in this draft...

LOL..."And with the 11th pick in the PBL Draft, the Maryland Nighthawks select.......(drumroll please).....JOHAN MATOS!"

I almost fell off my couch laughing! Johan Matos is a 5'9 point guard whom the Nighthawks CUT at the start of last season. He then landed on the 'talent-laden' powerhouse, the Newark Express, earning $50 a game and being forced to commute from MD to NJ for games.

That's the best they can do??? The Nighthawks, like the Razorsharks, evidently couldn't resign their marquee players, and they are resigned to now celebrating, by way of a joke of a draft, SCRUBS.

What makes this even funnier, to me, is that Newark/Jersey just issued this press release on OSC that they have signed Johan Matos for the upcoming season! http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2007100306005

Wow - I can't wait to see the "premiere" basketball in action!

tbayz1
10-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Dude will probably play for both, he cant pass up on the great salary from the Express ;)

But wow, great pick MD :rolleyes:

bdaly
10-04-2007, 10:51 AM
This draft was from their tryouts/combine. Those are rarely a site of premier talent for any league--it's usually a way to find diamonds in the rough. How many amazing players do ABA teams pick up from their $150 try outs? Most teams pick up a player or two at most, and they're generally bench warmers at best. Top players don't need to be "found" that way.

So, I guess I'm not sure why this is a surprise, or indicative of the talent that will be in the league. As I've said elsewhere, it's a little discouraging their schedule and lineup isn't final yet. But, the Razorsharks still have their normal core of players representing them around town.

Minor League Man
10-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Arkansas is a new team along with Dallas and Reading, Pa. The few owners I spoke with in the PBL dont disclose much and say they cant at the present time, but they do say they are happy and like what the league has planned.

I guess the PBL isnt press release crazy like the ABA.
There's a difference between being "press-release crazy" and keeping the fans updated as to how the team is doing to generate fan support.

They should have had their team lineup, alignment, and schedule released by now. If it's prepared but not released yet, that's like someone doing their homework without turning it in.

tbayz1
10-04-2007, 02:34 PM
If you were a brand new league, wouldnt you want to promote? Get the news out there?

Same with the teams, they have all been fairly quiet this off-season

Dan K
10-06-2007, 01:16 PM
What happened to the International Touring Team (away games only), as listed on the 8/24/07 OSC release?

Also, no more Bridgeport (CT)? I found a 6/20/07 article from the Rochester City News that mentioned a team called the New England Stompers and thought this may have been referring to the Bridgeport franchise. http://www.rochestercitynewspaper.com/archives/2007/6/SPORTS

A post on another board speculated that the Chicago team was the Rockstars.